• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic: Panthers Issues, Bryce, Reich, & More (Vid/Audio)

Bear Hands

2 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

There's the extremes in this Bryce debate, but it's possible to operate in the enormous grey area that is analyzing what it looks like Bryce is doing, all outside-team factors aside.   No need to antagonize the other extremes people.  

With that said, I'm also just very surprised McNown isn't working with Bryce on his mechanics.  Or if he IS, then that is troubling.

I mean, that's correctable stuff.  People have been noticing his shotgun drops style since Bama.  It's just bewildering they're allowing him to stay this loose with it all, when mechanics and timing are everything at this level of play.  So they're letting him maintain his habits that needed correcting, when in the NFL, everyone is as fast as the fastest player on the college field at their position. 

I know I’ve posted this before but he drops back the way he does (shoulders square downfield and on his toes) so he can see the field

If he were to bend a bit and use a conventional style drop back I don’t think he’s seeing a thing over his OL 

I don’t think we’ll ever see his footwork change much 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

I know I’ve posted this before but he drops back the way he does (shoulders square downfield and on his toes) so he can see the field

If he were to bend a bit and use a conventional style drop back I don’t think he’s seeing a thing over his OL 

I don’t think we’ll ever see his footwork change much 

I got bored and rewatched the first half from sunday, here are my first half takeways for bryce.  His footwork is beyond terrible and it causes his passes to float because his arm isnt strong enough to muscle it into open spots

2 hours ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

This is ignored by a large segment of the Huddle, but heading into the draft it's not like we were the only team that had Bryce Young as the #1 QB prospect. He may not have been the 100% consensus #1 around the league, but he was viewed that way by a significant majority of the league.

This notion that if we hadn't taken Bryce that he would have dropped out of the 1st round or even out of the top-5 is just nonsense. It certainly appears that we should have taken C.J. Stroud at this point, but if that does end up being the case long-term then let's not pretend that the Panthers were the only team that would have made the mistake.

I'm not so sure he was the #1 by even a majority. If he was the next incarnation of Manning that everyone was touting, there would have been a lot more teams trying to trade up. The talking heads got hung up on that s2 score after Mr Irrelevant almost led the 9ers to a SB. Stroud was ahead on a lot of boards until the results of that test were released. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

35 minutes ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

All offseason leading up, everyone from coaching staff, front office, and owners were preaching how everything would be a "collaborative approach". Yet, every group within the organization is divided and disconnected on what they want to do both short term and long term.

All offseason leading up, the entire all star coaching staff were preaching "fit the system towards the players, and not fit the players toward the schemes". Yet, almost every player either has regressed from last season and/or doesn't fit the "scheme". Even players that were recently drafted and brought in during free agencies has trouble fitting in within the "scheme".

I suspect not enough is being made of this "collaborative approach".  It's a train wreck.  It leads to a team with no idea what it's identity is.  Sound familiar?

Somebody needs to step up and say "This is what we are".  Before the free agency.  Before the draft.  Before the meat of the offseason program.

I understand wanting to evaluate the roster and fit a system to the players.  But somebody needs to read the room and make a decision.  "We'd like to be XXXX but we don't have the pieces for that and we can't flip it in one offseason".  That's a reasonable response.  I never heard it.

Now I look on the field and I see a team with no identity.  Our defense is struggling - injuries have hurt immensely and our offense isn't helping.  Our offense is worst in the league.  What is our identity?  I don't have a clue.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I suspect not enough is being made of this "collaborative approach".  It's a train wreck.  It leads to a team with no idea what it's identity is.  Sound familiar?

Somebody needs to step up and say "This is what we are".  Before the free agency.  Before the draft.  Before the meat of the offseason program.

I understand wanting to evaluate the roster and fit a system to the players.  But somebody needs to read the room and make a decision.  "We'd like to be XXXX but we don't have the pieces for that and we can't flip it in one offseason".  That's a reasonable response.  I never heard it.

Now I look on the field and I see a team with no identity.  Our defense is struggling - injuries have hurt immensely and our offense isn't helping.  Our offense is worst in the league.  What is our identity?  I don't have a clue.

Our identity is a billionaire's plaything until he and his wife get tired of it and move on to something else. 

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

We haven't seen it, but it's doubtful we'd be seeing much better from anyone else.

I don't think anyone is doing well. Everyone is underperforming compared to what we believed (at least organizationally) they were capable of.

I think it's becoming evident that Tepper might be the problem as a poo owner to work for. He'll pay well, but then he creates an environment that makes it damn near impossible to excel in.

Agreed. I don't think there is much right with anything having to do with Panthers. Unfortunately, when the last draft pick to work out positively is Brown, then I suppose that's why we get into the situation of hoping things get better some way, any way.

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

"Collaborative Approach" is code word for Nicole and her husband to constantly meddle in every decision and aspects

6 hours ago, Waldo said:

Yeah as crap as it is here Stroud could still hit some of the shots that have been missed.

It's bad here but if you think that is the same as the bad it would be with Stroud then you have a lot more disappointment coming over the rest of this and next season. 

I think we would be having a different conversation if our WR's caught some of the deep passes that Young threw as well.. 

The failure of this offense falls on Frank and Thomas Brown. Wasn't this staff supposed to be All-Star with decades of knowledge? At this point all of these old geezers (Dom Capers, Jim Caldwell, etc) are just collecting checks and don't care, they are closer to retirement and don't have anything to prove anymore. We need young innovative eager to prove themselves coaches. Trash organization = trash team. 

19 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Or if he threw more as well...

Young has the same problem Tua and Mac Jones have.  Average at best NFL arm.  So what's the difference?

With Jones, they look an awful lot like the same player if we're being honest.

With Tua, the difference is the talent.  Tua had similar problems before his roster got absolutely STACKED with receivers.  With the receivers he now has, Tua doesn't have to throw to "NFL Open" receivers.  He's effectively doing exactly what he did in college - throw to guys who are gapping their defenders so bad it looks like the SEC.  Put any kind of stress on that offense at all, and Tue regresses to below average.

Bryce has had opportunities to throw to "NFL Open" receivers.  Plenty of opportunities if we're being honest.  He hesitates.  Or he's not set and ready to throw when the opportunity is there.  Take your pick of the two.

• Beer 1