• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who else wanted Bryce???

AU-panther

I know who I wanted and it was a QB in this coming 2024 draft.  Frank had the right instincts to go after Carr.  Yeah, I know, another bridge QB, but you don't have a brand new staff hitch their wagons to a QB that's not generational.  I get Bryce is super smart, but nothing in his play even a 'Bama says he was  a generational QB.  For the record, even though Stroud is doing well, there was not generational QB this draft in the mold of Manning, Luck, or even as recently as Trevor.  The plan was to get a new staff get their bearings, familiarize and mold this first season, THEN get the rookie QB once the staff has a year under their belts as a unit.  Again, impatient Tepper blew the whole thing up.

The narrative really changed after the S2 test results were leaked.  The test didn't even have credibility.  Credibility was inferred because CJ's results were so bad it looked like he had a mental disability.  I think we were leaning Young but still split until that story broke, creating enough doubt to cement Bryce as the pick.

No one will ever pay attention to the S2 again.  However, wait a few years and you can probably sell the Panthers, Browns or Jets the all new S3 with brand new shapes to put in round holes!

• Beer 1

I can own it. I wanted Bryce. 

The ONLY knock on Bryce was his size and he proved he can play at his size. Outside of that he elevated players around him and played very well for consecutive seasons. 

CJ had way more question marks. Being that he didnt have a great final season out side of 1 game and that he would not adjust well to the speed of the NFL game give his all pro WR's he played with. 

These were the facts coming into the draft. Young was the #1 on basically every media board. Us drafting him was not a reach or a stretch. 

If we had CJ right now the results would be the same but the discussion would be that he doesnt know what NFL open looks like and can only play with all stars around him.

I hate that this board has turned into what is has. People here 100% forget or chose to revise history with what the draft talk was about. 

Edited by CanadianCat

I said they should have never made the trade and that Bryce was the worst of the 3 with AR being a huge project.

All of the film I watched of Bryce said he was a dud at this level. I couldn't believe people raved about such poor play at that level.

Now I just want to get to the point where they taking another swing. I get what happens in between but that's not my bag to hold. I just hope Bryce takes SF with him on his way out. That's the best I can hope from Bryce here.

13 hours ago, Iceup said:

Most of the people I know were for Richardson or Stroud early on. It seemed Bryce picked up a lot of steam after Alabama’s Proday. Like all the Mocks in the Media seemed to switch to him as an almost consensus #1. I couldn’t really understand it. I always favored Stroud- but I knew it would be Bryce after we traded to #1. I like appreciate Bryce’s effort and hope he can grow into a decent player for us- Im skeptical about him ever living up to what we expect of a player we took so high and gave up so much to get though.

Yeah, his pro day wasn't even that good lol.  Struggled throwing deep to his own guys vs air

• Beer 1

28 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

The ONLY knock on Bryce was his size and he proved he can play at his size. Outside of that he elevated players around him and played very well for consecutive seasons. 

CJ had way more question marks. Being that he didnt have a great final season out side of 1 game and that he would not adjust well to the speed of the NFL game give his all pro WR's he played with. 

These were the facts coming into the draft. Young was the #1 on basically every media board. Us drafting him was not a reach or a stretch. 

If we had CJ right now the results would be the same but the discussion would be that he doesnt know what NFL open looks like and can only play with all stars around him.

I hate that this board has turned into what is has. People here 100% forget or chose to revise history with what the draft talk was about. 

Whew buddy there is a lot to unpack with this post.

You are mistaking your opinion with fact.

CJ Stroud displayed indisputable arm talent at OSU. Though his supporting cast was talented he clearly did indeed elevate his receivers in college and he is doing so in Houston. The talk of needing to adjust to the speed of the game was nonsense. He looks pretty damn good with the speed of the game. In fact the one who looks the worst in that area from the draft class is Bryce Young.

You do not know what CJ Stroud would look like here. I don't know either. But he is having one of the best rookie seasons ever and we passed on that. You can't revise history either pal.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

Whew buddy there is a lot to unpack with this post.

You are mistaking your opinion with fact.

CJ Stroud displayed indisputable arm talent at OSU. Though his supporting cast was talented he clearly did indeed elevate his receivers in college and he is doing so in Houstont. The talk of needing to adjust to the speed of the game was nonsense. He looks pretty damn good with the speed of the game. In fact the one who looks the worst in that area from the draft class is Bryce Young.

You do not know what CJ Stroud would look like here. I don't know either. But he is having one of the best rookie seasons ever and we passed on that. You can't revise history either pal.

People act like defenses would play Stroud the exact same way they game plan for Bryce for some reason. Others are slowly acknowledging Bryce routinely skips on passing the ball to NFL open WR's, and that he often does so because he doesn't have enough zip to get the ball where it needs to go without getting picked off. Stroud is also totally comfortable under center and can convincingly sell play action, he can qb sneak, he can throw over the line without hopping in the air, etc....

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

People act like defenses would play Stroud the exact same way they game plan for Bryce for some reason. Others are slowly acknowledging Bryce routinely skips on passing the ball to NFL open WR's, and that he often does so because he doesn't have enough zip to get the ball where it needs to go without getting picked off. Stroud is also totally comfortable under center and can convincingly sell play action, he can qb sneak, he can throw over the line without hopping in the air, etc....

The more we talk about it the more I just struggle to believe both Reich and McCown wanted Young and had him head and shoulders above Stroud.

8 minutes ago, Frank9999 said:

I mean it wasnt just the Panthers, Young was a very highly touted qb prospect dude

So was Peyton Manning yet some people legitimately preferred Ryan Leaf. So was Cam Newton yet some people legitimately preferred Blaine Gabbert. There were even some who preferred Zach Wilson over Trevor Lawrence.

I find it very difficult if not impossible to believe that everyone in the building legitimately said yeah, Bryce is absolutely the best QB prospect available.

1 hour ago, CanadianCat said:

Young was my qb3 in the draft, I had Stroud and Richardson above him. Young had the highest floor but lowest ceiling ans it wasn't close. Add in the size issues on top of that and yea I don't see why he was qb1. Even his tape doesn't show qb1 in last years draft.