• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Unpopular take, David Tepper

Frank9999

3 hours ago, t96 said:

I don't really believe he hates to lose. He can say that all he wants but his actions with regards to concerts, events, soccer, etc. just don't support it. He cares about making $ and the Panthers so far have made him a ton of $

coaches don't get fired mid season if they. don't care about winning. 

3 hours ago, Frank9999 said:

I actually don’t mind him. In fact, I think he’ll eventually get it right. Why? Because he hates to lose. Throughout history there have been some examples of owners screwing stuff up countless times before getting it right. Its also worth noting that former players actually like him as well like Tre Boston and Steve Smith. 

not sure I understand…hating to lose has literally zero do with being qualified to make decisions

• Pie 1

As bad as Tepper has been, you'd much rather have a Tepper as an owner who wants to win and spends money like its nothing than have a Michael Jordan who cheaped out on the basketball infrastructure so much that good coaches straight up pass on the organization despite young talent. Oh, and Michael wouldn't pay more than one coach at a time either. 

Trust me, as a long suffering Bobcats/Hornets fan... this is way better. Tepper had a lot of learning and humility to eat and he will get better. He knows its super embarrassing.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Frank9999 said:

I actually don’t mind him. In fact, I think he’ll eventually get it right. Why? Because he hates to lose. Throughout history there have been some examples of owners screwing stuff up countless times before getting it right. Its also worth noting that former players actually like him as well like Tre Boston and Steve Smith. 

I also like him 

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

The only thing is---and I can't remember which analyst said it---is that no owner "completely" removes him or herself, some are just better at hiding it than others.  I think what Tepper needs is a strong personality that will push back by explaining things in a way that makes sense, and in a way that Tepper understands. I'm also questioning whether Mr. Agreeable (Scott Fitterer) is the man for the job.

Maybe they did explain it really well, hence the reason he was OK giving up a king's ransom to move up to #1.

People are acting like he is coming up with these ideas on his own.  I seriously doubt he sat down and scouted the top 4 QBs by himself and then decided to move up to one on his own accord.  Most likely somebody convinced him that Bryce was worth that.

He might have influenced the staff to find a QB, and once they decided Bryce was QB1 he might have influenced them to go their guy, but this narrative that he alone decided Bryce was the guy is most likely false and very unlikely.

Somebody or some combination of the HC, GM, OC, or Caldwell would be my guess.

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

As to the premise, there are perpetual losers out there. Do you think their owners like losing?

Hating to lose doesn't guarantee jack sh-t. 

Tepper's problem is not that he doesn't want to win. It's that he has no clue whatsoever how.

Unless he removes himself from the football operation completely, we're basically just running on a hamster wheel.

Hes only been there 6 years

5 hours ago, Frank9999 said:

I will actually agree with this. I would absolutely hate him if he held onto Reich as long as he held onto Rhule. I compare the two and can see that he realized early enough this wasn't going to work and ripcorded out like he should have rather than drag it out for a long, slow death.

5 hours ago, w280sax said:

Many owners would have kept rhule or Reich longer to avoid paying multiple coaches simultaneously the next few years.

There's plenty to not like but if he cared only about money, I doubt he'd be willing to pay three expensive head coaches for the next 3-4 years.

Dont know how much I buy the first part.  Your most important investment is the #1 overall pick...Reich could have still been here with losing but you can't lose while also having your #1 pick regressing 

I think its absurd to say that Tepper doesn't care about winning.  If he didn't care about winning, he would be off skiing in the Alps or whatever incredibly wealthy people do these days.  He just has no idea how to run a team, and it showed immediately when he hired Rhule.  Since then, it's been one mistake after another. 

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1

https://www.panthers.com/video/david-tepper-speaks-to-the-media-about-coaching-change

11:25 Q: "There have been a lot of reports Frank wanted CJ Stroud, you tipped the scales and said you wanted Bryce Young.  Is that true?"

11:45 A:  "Just the way our processes go here, I'll just say after this really plain, on all those decisions whether it was the Head Coach, whether it was Bryce, I don't really vote on those decisions until the last piece.

Okay so those decisions are made by the football people.  Now look, everything that's right and everything that's wrong here ultimately is my fault.  Okay, I have the final say. 

But as far as those decisions whether it's Frank Reich, or it's Bryce Young, those decisions are made and in the case of Bryce I believe it was unanimous on the coaches and the scouts, and very strong opinions at the time.

Now it's been reported and we've talked about it, originally we were going to go with the #2 pick and we thought we'd get CJ because we thought the Texans were gonna pick Bryce, and listen we preferred Bryce he was our #1 pick, we had a lot of conviction...

...and again, even though if the process is 5 people in the room, and 4, and the way the votes came in and Frank was the first choice, I always could veto that choice.  And even if it was Bryce, and the votes came in unanimously in this particular case, I could have vetoed that choice.

In both cases I supported both choices.  Okay, I'm just going to say that I supported both choicesI supported the coaches, I supported the scouts, their unanimous opinion, and I supported Frank Reich.  

So, whatever is good, bad, or indifferent, is ultimately because the buck stops here, and I take full responsibility for everything -- but that's the way the process runs.  

And then one last thing and we're gonna go here, as far as Bryce Young is concerned I cannot say this, for myself, and I think everybody in this building would share this sentiment, we are totally confident in that pick.  Okay, I think the people that made that pick first, would be totally confident in that, some of them you could ask, and for me I'm totally confident in agreeing with that pick." 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you listen closely it sounds like the football people were 4-1 in favor of hiring Frank Reich.

Also, the coaches and scouts were unanimous in making Bryce Young their top-choice.  

The owner fully supported the football people in both situations.

The truth always reveals itself.