• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic: “‘Hunger Games’ culture” at BOFA

SuperBowlBound

Well, this sounds familiar...

There also have been issues with scheme fits.

Brown’s background is with the Rams’ mid-zone and wide-zone runs, which weren’t a great match for some of the Panthers’ offensive linemen. Right guard Austin Corbett ran the scheme during three seasons in L.A., including the Rams’ Super Bowl season of 2021. But Corbett missed the first six games this year while recovering from ACL surgery, then injured his MCL in the same knee against Dallas in Week 11 and was lost for the season.

Center Bradley Bozeman conceded his more bruising skill set wasn’t ideal for the wide zone, best suited for quicker linemen who can occupy defensive linemen early in the play and then get to the second level.

“Running downhill is what I love to do,” Bozeman said. “That’s what I’ve made my money on. Unfortunately, we didn’t have many opportunities to do that.”

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Ornias said:

No wonder Reich looked liked he wanted out of here like 5 weeks ago. He was the wrong hire but he deserved better than this. 

My guess would be temper saw the headlines about how Brian Daboll assembled his staff in New York and thought "hey, why don't we do that?"

Turned out to be a disaster. Hell, it's not even looking so good in New York anymore.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Daeavorn said:

This is an interesting bit.

"Young’s difficulty understanding Reich’s offense,"

If Young was so smart and had such a superior grasp on football, what does this say for Reichs offense? Is Young not as capable in that area as we were led to believe?

Sounds like it was a poo offense that did a rookie QB no favors. 

Hopefully Tepper see's that we need a little traditional staff building this time. We tried giving Rhule the keys to the franchise and be brought in all him bum friends. We tried to have Frank bring in different thought processes from around the league and meld them together. I like the "diversity in thought" idea on its face, and I do think it would have worked if we had a different head coach who wasn't so soft. 

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

More:

Tepper also encouraged Reich to go outside of his “circle” with some of the hires. As such, many of the offensive coaches had never worked together and brought different philosophies to an offense that would be led by a rookie quarterback from Week 1.

seems like just the other week, I was telling you I thought it was Tepper that directed Frank about how the staff had to look and be.   Frank didn't come in here and hire the staff as he thought it should be structured and who was hired. 

everything has a been a forced bad marriage on so many levels.  Coaches, to players to scheme.  Just a bunch of random parts. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

“The Athletic spoke to more than 20 Panthers coaches, players and other league sources”

Woah….that’s a lot of leaks. Lots of unhappy people.

“Coaches said they believed other staff members were text messaging Tepper behind Reich’s back about issues they saw with the team. In one instance, general manager Scott Fitterer and an offensive coach went to Tepper with a coaching suggestion for the quarterback.”

What the actual f@&k. Tepper and Fitt are enabling that? Bunch of clowns. Scott needs to go.

“Tepper told Reich to fix the rookie’s footwork. Fitterer and others had told Tepper that Young’s feet were the cause of some of the Panthers’ protection issues. They believed Young wasn’t dropping back deep enough on his pass sets.”

Ok Tepp, we’ll just fix his footwork this week. Not hard at all. Good plan…

Frank basically said in camp that footwork would not be a major emphasis at first. Prob a mistake, but he knew.

Also, this stuff from Fitt and Tepp makes me think they are getting their info from YouTube ‘QB school vidoes’…lol.

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Fitt needs to go. Like, yesterday. Why the H. E. Double Hockey Sticks is he still here?

Also articles like this make me wish I wasn’t so averse to the Athletics price. Can’t justify spending money on a sports new site that I may read 1 or 2 articles a month. 

Go to article

Ctrl+A

Ctrl+C

Open word Document

Ctrl+V

Read

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

Just now, CRA said:

seems like just the other week, I was telling you I thought it was Tepper that directed Frank about how the staff had to look and be.   Frank didn't come in here and hire the staff as he thought it should be structured and who was hired. 

Frank came into his interview telling Tepper that we was going to hire a diverse and experienced staff. It’s why they went with him. They said so in the initial press conference. His plan for the staff was why he was hired.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

And this...

h’s efforts to boost Young’s confidence — some players viewed as overprotectiveness — continued through what turned out to be Reich’s final offensive play with the Panthers at Tennessee. Trailing by 7 and facing a fourth-and-6 at the two-minute warning, Young saw the Titans line up in what he believed to be Cover 0 — man coverage with no deep defender — and checked to a wide receiver screen to DJ Chark.

Chark caught the ball four yards behind the line of scrimmage and was tackled for no gain by safety Amani Hooker, allowing the Titans to reclaim possession and run out the clock. After the game, Reich said it was the right check by Young and that Chark might have gotten too far behind the line of scrimmage. A clearly agitated Chark insisted the Titans were not in Cover 0 and the Panthers should have stuck with the original play call.

A former NFL head coach agreed, saying the Titans fooled Young into thinking they were in Cover 0 before dropping their backside safety to the post area.

That the postgame spotlight fell on one of the receivers was not a new development. The group’s difficulties getting open has been a season-long narrative.

“I don’t think we got the brunt of coaches’ criticism. But I do feel like we do get a lot of the blame when it comes to the success of the offense,” Chark said last week. “Obviously, when you talk about offense, the first thing that we say (is), ‘You’ve gotta give Bryce weapons,’ and things like that.”

...is not a good look for Bryce 😳

• Pie 2
  • Flames 3