• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic: Is this the worst Panthers team of all time.

Tbe

31 minutes ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

2023’s defense would give them a slight edge. 2010 was pretty damn bad. If the two played it would look a lot like the Cardinals game that year.

2010’s roster was SIGNIFICANTLY better once you ignore QBs.   Not even close.  Clausen was a huge handicap. 

But given that 2010 backfield and OL…..vs this team that can’t play the run? I think 2010 easily wins.  

2023 is the worst team because it’s easily the worst roster. 

• Pie 1

59 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

2010 was a worse team, but we had the number one draft pick to look forward to, and so this is a significantly worse season overall for me.

I remember being extremely excited for the opportunity to draft Andrew Luck.

I also remember being absolutely gutted when Luck decided to go back to Stanford for his senior year 

• Beer 1

As bad as this year is, 2010 was worse. -212 point differential, which is just... insane. We've already scored more points (197) than that team did (196). And this team has, statistically, a top-four yards defense. For comparison, our defense in 2010 was 18th in yards and in 2001 it was 31st. 2010 was probably one of the 20 or 30 worst teams in NFL history, straight up.

I think this is second or third-worst team in Panthers history. You can make an argument that 2001 was in large part awful due to terrible coaching and quarterbacking, but the core roster itself wasn't awful and was easily corrected within a year on defense (2002 was the second-best defense in the league and allowed the fourth-fewest points in any Panthers season). I'm not sure this roster can be patched up, because the talent in 2001 was mostly young whereas this team is kind of devoid of young talent.

1 hour ago, electro's horse said:

the fact that 2001 hasn't been mentioned yet by anyone shows this thread's age

panthers were last in offense AND defense that year

I was in the UK during the initial years of the Panthers.. coverage sucked over seas had no clue what was going on..I know 2002 til now..  this reminds me of Pike/Clausen

3 hours ago, KSpan said:

2010 would just run all over this team, and they don't have to worry about the offense. It would be the biggest 14-3 thrashing ever.

2001 was better than this team too, but it's close. I give them the nod but acknowledge that 2001 came up with very inventive ways to lose.

3 hours ago, electro's horse said:

the fact that 2001 hasn't been mentioned yet by anyone shows this thread's age

panthers were last in offense AND defense that year

OG's unite.

11 hours ago, TN05 said:

As bad as this year is, 2010 was worse. -212 point differential, which is just... insane. We've already scored more points (197) than that team did (196). And this team has, statistically, a top-four yards defense. For comparison, our defense in 2010 was 18th in yards and in 2001 it was 31st. 2010 was probably one of the 20 or 30 worst teams in NFL history, straight up.

I think this is second or third-worst team in Panthers history. You can make an argument that 2001 was in large part awful due to terrible coaching and quarterbacking, but the core roster itself wasn't awful and was easily corrected within a year on defense (2002 was the second-best defense in the league and allowed the fourth-fewest points in any Panthers season). I'm not sure this roster can be patched up, because the talent in 2001 was mostly young whereas this team is kind of devoid of young talent.

That speaks to how much better NO, Tampa, and the Saints were in 2010.  Division was good and everyone finished with double digit wins.  I don’t think you can measure it in point differential.  2010 had a tougher schedule and NFL. 

if you just cherry picked that 2010 team out, the roster was just miles better around than this one.  Specifically the cast on O once you ignore QBs. 

2010 was a better team…..they played in a tough division.  The 2023 team plays in a poo division.  2010 is winning games if they played this current schedule.