• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Random article here for discussion: Panthers' Brian Burns addresses future amid another rough season

WarPanthers89

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Over The Cap has his projected contract value as about $14 mil.

Ouch.

And that's probably about right.

The guy just doesn't impact / change games.  More often than not, you see him getting ridden around behind the QB - when he even gets close.

He doesn't get sacks, he doesn't really make a lot of tackles . . . and if you're counting on another player to "unlock" him that's dead solid evidence he's not a game changer. 

Honestly, I think he'd be better of as a situational pass rusher.  He doesn't defend the run very well so don't have him in there.

Maybe if he's still here, next year will show us something different.  This is our first year in the 3-4 and that's never an easy transition.  We've had a ton of injuries.  I'm curious if he finally figures it out . . . but not at top money.

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Every year he's had a competent bookend, he has more than played well.  He's still young. He's a natural leader. 

Would be beyond stupid to not extend him. 

Every year he has had a competent bookend he has been outplayed by said bookend.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, BrianS said:

The guy just doesn't impact / change games.  More often than not, you see him getting ridden around behind the QB - when he even gets close.

He doesn't get sacks, he doesn't really make a lot of tackles . . . and if you're counting on another player to "unlock" him that's dead solid evidence he's not a game changer. 

Honestly, I think he'd be better of as a situational pass rusher.  He doesn't defend the run very well so don't have him in there.

Maybe if he's still here, next year will show us something different.  This is our first year in the 3-4 and that's never an easy transition.  We've had a ton of injuries.  I'm curious if he finally figures it out . . . but not at top money.

You know the saddest part about this whole fiasco is had the Rams deal never been published or had never been made, none of this would have likely transpired.

At that point this false market probably doesn't exist and his agent doesn't have the leverage he does now because they are aware of how Scott Fitterer valued him.

At that point maybe we are negotiating about a 18-20ish million a year deal.

• Pie 2

13 hours ago, 4Corners said:

He is a good player. I hope he stays, but he ain’t worth what he probably wants. Really looking like a miss not trading him for those picks. 

PLEASE tell me you are not JUST NOW realizing this!!!!

It was obvious to me the second he started contract negotiations and all the other unnecessary drama.

Scott Fitterrer is such a frickin idiot.

7 hours ago, BrianS said:

That's the thing though. Evero's scheme should be a dream for a player like Burns. I'm sure Evero didn't anticipate a TE being able to take Burns out of the game every play but yea this was supposed to benefit him and he's only gotten worse. Fitterer should be fired based on how he handled CMC/DJ/Burns alone. He kept the worst player of the 3 and traded two marquee weapons that could help develop your rookie QB. Bad, bad, bad. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

14 hours ago, Wolfcop said:

I do appreciate his desire to stay. Maybe we can work something out, but it shouldn’t be anywhere close to 30M. 

I'm baffled by his desire to stay.

I can only assume his agent has spoken to GMs around the league and he realises that the Panthers are going to be the highest bidder. 

This team is a clown show - any competent player should want out. 

39 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I'm baffled by his desire to stay.

I can only assume his agent has spoken to GMs around the league and he realises that the Panthers are going to be the highest bidder. 

This team is a clown show - any competent player should want out. 

He said he has "hated change since he was a kid." Everyone in their lives knows people like that. They are creatures of habit and just get comfortable, almost regardless of the situation. 

It's possible he is just one of those guys.

• Pie 1

Honestly, the difference between 30 million and 15 million per year in the overall scheme of your life is irrelevant.  Burns is gonna walk away from football with a MINIMUM of 100 million in the bank.  He is set for life.

If he really wants to be here - which is what he's saying - then the money shouldn't matter.

I still think we franchise him, just to protect our interests.  It's a $19 million offer, and it gives us the chance to see if we can still get those two firsts for him.  If someone were to offer him $25 million per season I would take the draft picks and RUN.