• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ickey

jayboogieman

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

Interesting that after weeks of carrying water for Bryce Young you're all about microanalyzing the sideline demeanor of a 23 year old.

lol what are you talking about 

aren’t you the alt account blathering on about Bryce young’s face in press conferences? Is he a little too cornball brother for you, Red?

• Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Growl said:

lol what are you talking about 

aren’t you the alt account blathering on about Bryce young’s face in press conferences? Is he a little too cornball brother for you, Red?

Uh no. I don't give a damn what he or any other player says in a press conference. Words can't change results. He can stand there and make fart noises for all I care.

Spam my old user profile all you want. Doesn't change the fact you look like a ridiculous hypocrite. Enjoy your New Years bud.

Edited by frankw

I don't think Ikem Ekwonu will ever be a good left tackle in the N.F.L so it may be time to move him to a guard position.

He is going to get Bryce Young, or a another quarterback seriously hurt if he remains the Panthers starting left tackle.

I realize that Bryce Young has other issues that prevent him from being successful but Ikem Ekwonu is part of reason he is not excelling. 

Edited by KatsAzz

All I know if you can't give up 18 sacks.  What worries me is how those sacks come about against him.  It's usually a one on one speed rush that he can't block. 

LT is considered so important for two reasons.  It's usually the QB's blind side and they are usually the linemen that is expected to be able to handle one on one blocks as there isn't usually a TE on that side.

He just doesn't seem like he has the foot speed and I don't know if that is something that can be improved.  If he was losing contain or getting beat in other ways that he could learn to counter I'd not be so down on him.  

What we all now beyond doubt is he played well as a rookie last year but had a lot of help and excelled best in a run heavy scheme.  He has a problem with speed rushers.  The entire line and team has been hot garbage this year so what gets better with a good LG and better overall play around him?

My ideal lineup for next year with current roster is: 

Christensen, Icky, Bozemen, Corbett, Moton.

Mays has shown me he can be a backup at LG.

Nash Jenson and Chandler Zavala are rookies I'd like to keep improving but not on the field.

I'm open to upgrading any position outside of Moton through the draft or FA.

Another reason I would like to move Icky to guard is Drew Brees and the Saints.  The Saints always invested in their interior line because a shorter west coast style QB needs a pocket to step up into and crate lanes to pass and extend plays from.

• Pie 1

The NFL is brutal

the weaknesses are on film  he can’t handle speed and that’s a death sentence for a LT  bad feet   Bad hands 

until it is fixed, it will be exposed over and over and over 

What is more concerning 

1. The coaches see it and don’t adjust for it

2. He doesn’t seem too bothered by it  

3  Bryce just seems to not be aware to step up where icky used to be quickly…I’m not trying to bask this kid but damned he can be slow of foot for a littLe guy

• Beer 1

15 hours ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

Icky never had a chance to succeed at LT in this system. He is a power run blocker being asked to be a finesse pass blocker.

One of 2 things need to happen - 1) ditch the system for a more run balanced, play action system; 2) move Icky to guard.

yes to this.  Ickey looked like he was going to work out fine last year.  This year he is a mess. Has looked confused and constantly a step or two behind.  Move him inside if he cant play the position.  I know that is a huge disappointment and you are still looking for a franchise left tackle but your QB's hospital bills will be substantially lower going forward.  

On 12/31/2023 at 5:58 PM, Mage said:

Ikem is terrible

Perhaps, but when I see him fail, it is because he drops his head (lunges) forward and any NFL DE/OLB knows that takes away balance and lateral movement abilities.  Campen is to blame, but if it is not Campen's fault, it is the fault of Fitterer:

• FIRST ROUND, 2021:  Horn
  • FIRST ROUND, 2022: Ekwonu
  • FIRST ROUND, 2023: Young
  • Mingo (Hard to gauge him yet since the OL and QB play has been abysmal, but I am seeing too many drops--at least early on)
  • Corral (OK, third round, I get it.  But there are 2 starting QBs in the NFL who were drafted after we traded up to get him)

Free Agency (I am seeing a pattern here.  They were products of the system.  Fool's gold.  Fitterer loaded up when other teams were passing.   Fitterer taking players from good offenses and expecting the same results here, at least in terms of salary.)

• Sanders
  • Hurst 
  • Anderson (Might want to Google that one)
  • Chark  (flashes, but good WRs step up and make plays--he drops passes)
  • McCray (supposedly solid depth, but what the hell does Campen do all day?--I have seen no growth from the young players and the older players get waived).

The Training Staff/Ownership

Injuries to our OL, Horn, Thompson, kicker on game days, Hurst, Shenault, Corners, etc etc etc.  Let's bring in a soccer turf, Mr Tepper, so you can own 2 teams that suck and fire twice as many head coaches.  Do our players stress stretching and rehabbing minor injuries?  Hell, we aren't that good when healthy, but if you take away two first round starters on the defense (Horn, Thompson) and then Shenault and your 2 starting guards on offense, you should look at your facilities and overall program to keep athletes healthy. 

Tepper should have thrown the drink in his own face, then tossed Fitterer at the fan.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

57 minutes ago, La Pantera said:

Seen Ickey and the the LG get man handled 2v1. Just split them like a Christmas wishbone.

Straight trash!

It’s not that the can’t pass block, it’s that he doesn’t block at all and completely whiffs on stunts and blitzes. Straight forward blocking is fine, but if he has the make a quick decision his brain can’t process. A lot of this falls on Bryce who should be telling him who to block at pre-snap

Edited by Ghostofdelhomme

The state of the OL is awful. But at some point folks have to step back and ask is the QB behind center only exacerbating the issues. Even when there are opportunities from the OL we are not capitalizing. Defenses watch the tape and know this. That only means a harder job for the OL.

Edited by frankw
  • Flames 1