• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Scott Fitterer go down as one of the worst GM’s in NFL history?

hepcat

37 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

I have zero clue, just that again when measuring Fitterer against completely awful GMs, Fitterer still seems worse.

Oh for sure. Fitterer couldn’t even produce a single or walk with any of his draft picks. I don’t give a damn what anybody says, the 2021 draft was a complete disaster. The 2023 draft might replace 2019 as the worst of all-time for this franchise. 

15 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Then there's the guy who traded everything for Russell Wilson to go to Denver, or the guy who gave up everything to get Deshaun Watson in Cleveland and maybe the guy who got suckered into taking Aaron Rogers to the Jets. 

Those teams didn't miss out on a 22 year old dude who looks like he could be a future Hall of Fame QB.  Those teams didn't trade away a future No. 1 overall pick, making them trading for the No. 1 overall pick look dumb.  Imagine if Bryce busts.  The Panthers would have essentially chosen him over CJ Stroud, Caleb Williams, and Drake Maye.  All those two really need to be is somewhat decent in their rookie seasons to make the Panthers look like fools (unless Bryce turns it around).  

• Beer 1

I don't know where he'll rank all time in the NFL when all the smoke clears. Technically you could argue there have been worse. But for us. He destroyed this team like it was his job to do so. And he was very confident about it. Worst Panthers GM by a wide margin. I'm just glad it's finally over with.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Even if Bryce busts, I don't even know if it's top 10 worst trades of all time, especially when you have the Watson and Wilson trades just within the past few years.

That's not even talking about the trey lance trade, which the 49ers gave up more for even less output for him but fell ass backwards into a pro bowl QB with the last pick of the draft last year.

Then there's Herschel walker which is also infinitely worse.

Don't get me wrong, the trade is a bust unless Bryce turns into a consistent pro bowl QB, but it's not even in the conversation for worst all time. Just worst in franchise history.

Did another team give up a very good WR hitting his prime, the pick traded for a HOF caliber RB, the #1 overall pick which could potentially be a legendary QB? The price paid for Bryce is ASTRONOMICAL

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Did another team give up a very good WR hitting his prime, the pick traded for a HOF caliber RB, the #1 overall pick which could potentially be a legendary QB? The price paid for Bryce is ASTRONOMICAL

Did we give up multiple future first round picks and or players, and then immediately pay Bryce 250 million guaranteed or extend him for 130+million while still under contract?

Then nah, it's nowhere near as bad as the Browns and Broncos. We have our first in 2025 and we aren't going to be hamstrung by Bryce's contract for years to come.

We payed a lot for him in terms of draft capital and a talented receiver, but the trade doesn't prevent us from signing guys/retaining talent (If we ever get any) because of the contract resulting from the trade.

It was a dumbass deal to include Moore in it, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it was overall a good trade.

It just pales in comparison to other recent ones.

Seeing others with the same sentiment. If Bryce isn't at the very least a long-term starter that has playoff appearances, I do think you have to consider Fitterer one of the worst. I obviously can't compare him to all prior GMs since I don't have that knowledge. But, the man really had 50 misses for every 1 hit.

Edited by ChibCU
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, SuperBowlBound said:

Oh for sure. Fitterer couldn’t even produce a single or walk with any of his draft picks. I don’t give a damn what anybody says, the 2021 draft was a complete disaster. The 2023 draft might replace 2019 as the worst of all-time for this franchise. 

Burns by himself will likely be better than all of 2023. Agree on 2021. I remember pre-draft that I, and others, were screaming to basically go almost 100% OL because Marty had ignored OL drafting from 2018-2020 except Little, who none of us wanted, and Daley.

We passed on Slater, Humphrey and Tre Smith for Horn, TMJ and a long snapper and our current OL and OL depth suffered because we didn’t address at all our 1b priority (1a being QB).

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

it was Tepper who wanted to trade up for no one in particular IMO. 

I feel it was Fitterer who talked Tepper into Young.  Or at the very least, allowed it to occur by not siding with Frank. 

People have always deferred everything away from Fitterer.  Jaycee Horn was Fitterer too.  Not Rhule.  Matt Rhule was never making all the calls.  You can't convince me Matt Rhule on his own opted to use his very first NFL pick on a LOB era DB in the top 10 and it wasn't the Seattle guy.  Young also meshes in well w/ that Seattle mindset. 

Horn, when healthy, is a Top 10 player at his position. 

4 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Horn, when healthy, is a Top 10 player at his position. 

Probably so….but we hired Matt Rhule to build something here in 2020.  Given the holes and task of essentially starting over and building a new team, a potential top 10 player at a different position IMO made more sense. 

if we were a win now team I wouldn’t of cared if we went DB or S or whatever. Plug whatever hole you got. 

I got no issue with Horn the actual player 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Probably so….but we hired Matt Rhule to build something here in 2020.  Given the holes and task, a potential top 10 player at a different position IMO made more sense. 

if we were a win now team I wouldn’t of cared 

Brown is good now but at the time and with the holes not drafting oline all things considered was insanity, same with Horn and needing a qb. 

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

Burns by himself will likely be better than all of 2023. Agree on 2021. I remember pre-draft that I, and others, were screaming to basically go almost 100% OL because Marty had ignored OL drafting from 2018-2020 except Little, who none of us wanted, and Daley.

We passed on Slater, Humphrey and Tre Smith for Horn, TMJ and a long snapper and our current OL and OL depth suffered because we didn’t address at all our 1b priority (1a being QB).

Bingo - and that problem bled into 2022. When mistakes are made, they get compounded the next year as a team tries to overcorrect. Part of that reasoning to pass besides “short arms” on Slater was giving big deals to Erving/Elflein in the opening minutes of free agency. Woof

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Did we give up multiple future first round picks and or players, and then immediately pay Bryce 250 million guaranteed or extend him for 130+million while still under contract?

Then nah, it's nowhere near as bad as the Browns and Broncos. We have our first in 2025 and we aren't going to be hamstrung by Bryce's contract for years to come.

We payed a lot for him in terms of draft capital and a talented receiver, but the trade doesn't prevent us from signing guys/retaining talent (If we ever get any) because of the contract resulting from the trade.

It was a dumbass deal to include Moore in it, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it was overall a good trade.

It just pales in comparison to other recent ones.

The Browns gave up speculative assets (draft picks) for a proven asset. The guaranteed contract was ridiculous but the amount given up in trade for a young franchise level QB wasn't insane. The risk was the criminal accusations which seem to have hurt his play on the field.

The Panthers did the opposite and gave up proven assets for a speculative prospect. Your point about the guaranteed is valid but the Panthers took on dead money to trade away those assets to make these trades. CMC and DJ Moore were the offense since 2018 and it completely fell apart without them. The value there was insane to give up. 

• Pie 2