• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Incredible Coaching - Ryans

Mills

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2OFl1fMiGI/?igsh=Zjd0dnMzd3gyOXI3

The title of this ESPN Demeco Ryans clip.(swipe left for the IG challenged)

Granted, probably not much different than the things most coordinators point out.

One of his players in the comments singing his praises.

Someone else pointing out how grown men address him as sir because he commands respect.

Dear Nicole Tepper,

please tell dave to choose the best candidate, not the one that makes him giddy.

Edited by Mills
  • Pie 2

8 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

We had no chance at Ryans. He was locked in on Houston’s opening. If Ben Johnson is locked in on Washington’s opening this year & Harbaugh goes West Coast, then I hope we pluck Bobby Slowik from Ryans. 

Slowik is one of the last candidates out there that spent time under Mike Shanahan whose coaching tree is one of the best in NFL history. I’m very behind hiring Slowik. They can use the same strategy hiring an experienced DC to help him with the day to day head coaching duties or pair him with a veteran QB coach who maybe had been a HC or OC in the NFL for awhile. It’s a good hire.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

Slowik is one of the last candidates out there that spent time under Mike Shanahan whose coaching tree is one of the best in NFL history. I’m very behind hiring Slowik. They can use the same strategy hiring an experienced DC to help him with the day to day head coaching duties or pair him with a veteran QB coach who maybe had been a HC or OC in the NFL for awhile. It’s a good hire.

Agreed. I can be just as happy with Slowik or Ben Johnson. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

He was the best DC before becoming a HC and he was paired with an amazing young OC that both come from a stable and well run team. It's no surprise he is an amazing HC. The real test comes when Slowik is plucked away for a HC gig. I have no doubt about their D under him regardless but I do wonder how his O does then. That is when we find out if he is just really good or great. McDermott was lucky to get through a Dorsey failure and fall into a Brady who had a really bad set up for a 1st attempt while being primed for a much better showing on the 2nd try. That's some damn good luck and Ryans is going to have to do the same.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 2

A year ago they were one of the very worst teams in the league and we were a run of the mill bad team. Both looking for a new coach and a new QB. They made smart moves and are now in the playoffs with a playoff win under their belts. Meanwhile, we blundered spectacularly and cemented ourselves as the worst team in the league.

Oh wee mayne. Brutal.

• Beer 2

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

A year ago they were one of the very worst teams in the league and we were a run of the mill bad team. Both looking for a new coach and a new QB. They made smart moves and are now in the playoffs with a playoff win under their belts. Meanwhile, we blundered spectacularly and cemented ourselves as the worst team in the league.

Oh wee mayne. Brutal.

And their owner is a giant pos and their GM has done some crazy BS and yet they are looking amazingly stable...

I guess anything is possible.

15 minutes ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

This is why I don't think it's absolutely necessary to have a "young OC" as our next HC is necessary. Ryans was a DC but he definitely inspired his team and got them to perform. We just need a HC that the players will believe in and to make smart staff decisions. 

Ask Jalen Hurts or Eagles fans how important the OC is.  All it took was Steichen moving to Indy where he made Gardner Minshew look like borderline starter instead of a good backup.

Now, we hire a "defensive" HC who manages to find a great OC.  Is that what we want?  Our offense to go off a cliff after a year or two?  We haven't yet seen what the result of Slowik leaving Houston might be, but it would be quite an accomplishment for the Texans to maintain their level of efficiency after losing him.

That's why "Young OC" is the hot hire.  Defensive coaching pieces can be changed out and recycled much more easily than innovative offensive minds.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, CanadianCat said:

Honestly I was on the Ben Johnson train but the more I hear about Slowik the more he in my #1

You're only good as your weapons.

I get people love these OCs from other teams but those guys have weapons! Those play calls aren't working with this roster with this QB.

I think we need a HC who can change the culture. We need a leader of men. The last few coaches we had didn't have the players attention and respect. We had it with Wilks but Tepper thought otherwise. 

Sadly it doesn't look like Harbaugh/BB will even interview with us. So I'm not expecting any major teams with any coach we hire. You must have a voice to get the players to buy in. I played football and trust me my High School HC had a voice. We played hard for him. The other assistant coaches were just guys none of the players respected them. But when the big dog steps out on the field trust and believe he had our attention.

We need a true alpha. Nothing will change until that happens.

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

We need a true alpha. Nothing will change until that happens.

Plenty of head coaches are not this typical alpha male.    Coaches can be great and not be the "in your face" macho stereotype.   

Players want a coach that will connect/care with them on an individual level, that can provide a sense of direction for the organization , and knows what the hell he is doing. 

They don't need a drill instructor to care.