• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RIP Sports Illustrated

There’s some really iconic SI covers. I have a couple. Their “reporting” ehhhh. Magazine has been dead for years. I haven’t seen any at Harris Teeter in ages. 

the young generations, print media just doesn’t move the needle. No need for it when literally most of available on your phone. It’s even more comfortable to read a book on your iPhone or tablet. 

Just now, DJ feed me moore said:

here's a few favs of mine

Yea I have these - the one with Worthy and Jordan is great. 

there’s some really fantastic ones of teams I don’t like or care about. 

what is the greatest SI cover of all time?

my personal favorite, hands down is the Muhsin Muhammad one after the wrecked Philly. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, scpanther22 said:

Private Equity companies destroy pretty much every industry they take major stakes in

Print media is also a dying industry. Books, mags, newspapers etc. 

like I said it’s easier to read a novel on your tablet. It also cuts down on paper/waste which is something younger generations care about. My folks like a lot of others used to sit and read the Sunday paper while enjoying coffee. They quit doing that 10 years ago  

The print industry was killed by consolidation and private equity groups who knew nothing about their products and the communities they thrived in. Then Rupert Murdock came along and made it a point to destroy journalism to make room for his tabloid bullshit, and that basically was him putting his cigarette out on the forehead of writers and editors around the country.

Then AI came along and the powers that be-having-checkbooks thought that would save them from everything, including having to pay and listen to actual human beings.

Luckily, there are newer outlets out there where there's room to create and do. And they can be pretty rewarding, with a lot more freedom, but fewer safety nets.

Still sucks to watch the old battleships sink one by one beneath the waves.

2 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Probably because he paid them to do it.

Print media is toast. Newspapers, books, magazines. I can think of very few instances when I would actually need to buy a hard copy of these. The last SI I bought was when Carolina one the natty in 2017. 

He absolutely paid them but it was still hilarious to me.

Books are barely holding on but I suspect they go the way of the dinosaurs too in not very long. National Geographic was my monthly until a few years ago when they were bought and striped (I think disney ended up with the company eventually).