• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam on Dan LeBatard

3 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

My kids first football hero growing up. It was so easy for a kid to love Cam because Cam was so kid friendly from giving footballs to them after touchdowns to hosting his Nickelodeon show. I developed a love for him like a family member. What he meant to my son made him mean the world to me. I miss prime healthy big bad ass strong trucking over defensive guys Cam so very much. Big tough nice guy with a cannon arm that could run like hell and refused to go down easy then would laugh, joke and high five children. He was the hero Charlotte needed but didn't deserve 

Cam signed my son's jersey after an OTA.  He was starting to walk away from the crowd and saw the #1 Jersey out of the corner of his eye.  He stopped, grinned, and walked back to him and signed it.  I remember thinking Cam was a show boat, playing it up for the crowds and cameras, but when we watched him at OTAs, he was like that all the time.  He LOVED practice.  Nobody LOVES practice.  Ron Rivera used Cam to save his career.  The fact that Rivera never had 2 winning seasons in a row with Cam at QB tells you all you need to know-Cam made Rivera coach of the year twice and got him a contract extension.  Rivera cut 5 to 10 years off Cam's career by running him like a Fullback.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

His comment about Steve Smith was pretty interesting; wishing that he had Steve Smith when he was older. He understood Smith was in win now mode, and it probably explains how Smith was with Cam during his early years. I wish we had Smith during the Super Bowl. The team could’ve used him. 

• Pie 6

I've always thought Carolina did him wrong starting with Rhule.  While Cam's arm strength may not have been what it was.  We haven't had QB that threw a deep pass since he left.  So, what's the difference.  Cam at least could avoid sacks and make plays.  It's so frustrating to watch Young get sacked the moment a defender touches him. 

14 hours ago, Castavar said:

Damn, that one quote from Cam hit me in the feels. FUG you Gettleman and Hurney. Imagine Cam if he EVER had weapons like Tua has, or Dak has, or Purdy has. Instead we drafted huge receivers that couldn't run routes.

Man, I still don’t get the hate on DG. He made some bad picks but he had 5 drafts with Cam and he absolutely tried to help Cam. A healthy KB would have been a big difference but DG got the following OL: Oher, Norwell, Turner, Williams, Moton and yes, even tries with Kalil. He also drafted KB, Funchess, Samuel and CMC. That was in 5 drafts. Sure, not all the moves worked out but he at least got him a solid OL. From the end of 2014-2017, our OL was solid and ranked high. We just had an absurd amount of injuries in 2016 and then Hurney came in 2017 (post draft thankfully) and ignored OL again.

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, AggieLean said:

I miss Cam, man. Such a shame his career was cut short. 2015 is the year everyone talks about with him, but that 2017 was remarkable. Took a bunch of shyt on offense, and literally turned that squad into a contender. I still tell everyone, if Clay or Funchess come down with TDs on the plays that should’ve been made, and that team is in the Super Bowl again. Then I’m 2018, it’s tragic how the team turned to complete dog doodoo once he got hit by Watt. He was being talked about in MVP discussions before that hit. 

I wanted so bad for him to make it back after the shoulder injuries, but it wasn’t meant to be. I was wrong in my defense for him after that. Oh well. Team has been crap since then, not to mention not worth talking about. It’s been 5 years of irrelevance. I’ll watch this later on tonight

The team and Cam split the blame on how his career was cut so short. We did a terrible job of protecting him and setting him up for success. BUT.....as Cam himself admitted, he really bought into the Superman stuff to the extent that he played TOO physically hard. He didn’t help himself by thinking/knowing HE had to be the one to get that extra yard or fight for that extra second. We didn’t protect him and he didn't protect himself.

Sadly, his legacy will probably largely(and unfairly) be as an example to these massive and/or super athletic QB's that the league is made for QB's to be in the pocket. 

I am glad to see a guy like Lamar Jackson see what's up and adjust how he plays the game. Versus guys like Josh Allen and Anthony Richardson who are just living on borrowed time.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, AggieLean said:

His comment about Steve Smith was pretty interesting; wishing that he had Steve Smith when he was older. He understood Smith was in win now mode, and it probably explains how Smith was with Cam during his early years. I wish we had Smith during the Super Bowl. The team could’ve used him. 

With Smitty on that team, we probably win that game. He is the type of guy that would have willed us to victory and been the safety net that we didn’t have. Especially with Cam getting mauled all game(that wouldn't have changed).

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

Man, I still don’t get the hate on DG. He made some bad picks but he had 5 drafts with Cam and he absolutely tried to help Cam. A healthy KB would have been a big difference but DG got the following OL: Oher, Norwell, Turner, Williams, Moton and yes, even tries with Kalil. He also drafted KB, Funchess, Samuel and CMC. That was in 5 drafts. Sure, not all the moves worked out but he at least got him a solid OL. From the end of 2014-2017, our OL was solid and ranked high. We just had an absurd amount of injuries in 2016 and then Hurney came in 2017 (post draft thankfully) and ignored OL again.

Gettleman was very clearly the second worst GM in franchise history(leagues better than Fitterer, however).

He had early success that went to his head and he got very arrogant about everything he did from then on. His drafting was very spotty, as well. He had a couple of our worst drafts in franchise history.

It wasn't a surprise that he struggled so much in NY.

• Pie 6

16 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Cam still doesnt get the respect he deserves. I was listening to Greeny earlier this week and he was talking about who paved the path for the new gen of QBs today. He said Kaep and Im like wtf? Cam did it better with lesser talent around him. 

found the one person who still watches espn. it's espn, what do you expect?

40 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Gettleman was very clearly the second worst GM in franchise history(leagues better than Fitterer, however).

He had early success that went to his head and he got very arrogant about everything he did from then on. His drafting was very spotty, as well. He had a couple of our worst drafts in franchise history.

It wasn't a surprise that he struggled so much in NY.

I agree, he made a lot of smart dumpster dives when he got here and then that went to his head.  The Josh Norman situation was mind numbingly stupid.

He drafted Vernon Butler despite having two elite dts when he should have drafted help for cam, etc

Then there were other misfires like drafting kb over allen robinson, etc

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

21 hours ago, Donald LaFell said:

Yeah I’d be happy to watch us go 6-10 while Cam tries to spam his way to the all time rush TD record lol. Prob wouldn’t get there but it would be fun. 

I sort of wished we just played Armanti Edward’s in 2010, even if it sucked he would have been fun 

Just bring him back so that he can break Vick's rushing yardage. Cam is only 481 yards away! He'd officially be the GOAT dual-threat QB.

• Pie 1

Can't say enough good things about Cam the player. I'll always defend him. He made lemonade with lemons and never complained. NFL wasn't on his side, refs didn't protect him, and he still dominated. I'd say he was the first to truly make it 11 on 11. 

Edited by Manna

On 1/19/2024 at 8:32 PM, Castavar said:

We really did man. Protecting him with the likes of Byron Bell and Nate Chandler 🤢, drafting him slow ass receivers, pairing him with dumbass Shula, etc. We wasted such a generational talent. In a way, it's kind of poetic that we missed on Stroud, because we would have just ruined him like we did Cam.

Hurney protected Cam with Jordan Gross, Travelle Wharton, Ryan Kalil, Geoff Hangartner & Jeff Otah in year 1. Bell was a rookie backup in 2011 who was forced to start due to Otah not being able to stay healthy. Hurney had an OL in place to build from, but he was fired a year and a half into what turned out to be a foundation for a SB roster because it went 1-4 to open the season.

Hurney expected Beane to replace him, but that's when it all went off the rails & we rode out 4 seasons of roster building mediocrity on the back of Hurney's team. That mediocrity led to Tepper, Rhule & Fitterer as the final wrecking ball.