• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Morgan named GM/President

Mr. Scot

10 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

He was that previous staff. He was next to Seifert. Hurney was with the team in 1998 after Polian & brought in his protégé in Beane. They took over roster building/administration under Seifert & immediately put together a 1999 contender that would lead to a SB roster including Dan Morgan. Prior to that Hurney came from the Chargers & helped lead them to a SB roster under Beathard.

Didn't realize the roster was built with Hurney while Seifert lost a competitive team with his coaching decisions & fallout with Musgrave? 

He was? So Seifert and Bushofsky just did nothing as a first year Director of football administration and a rookie in his first job rebuilt the team all on their own. They did help build a team that went 1-15 and got him the actual job. In 14 years, he made the playoffs 3 times. Without him it was 4 in 5 years. 

So everything right was Marty….and everything wrong was someone else. That’s exactly how a team winds up with a GM who helped put them in this position. 

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

The 2001 team won 1 game. 

Hurney was actually really good early on.  Drafted well and did FA well. 

Where was Marty during that season or the 3 previous to that one win season? I was just told he was responsible for the team from 1998 forward. 

29 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Where was Marty during that season or the 3 previous to that one win season? I was just told he was responsible for the team from 1998 forward. 

Did Jack report to Marty or did Marty report to Jack? Think about this one. Was Jack doing the hiring & administration of all facets of the team or simply heading up the scouting department like Dan has been doing for a few years with the Panthers? You need to go back & look at how Seifert & JR delegated responsibility to Jack & Marty.

I hope Dan is more Marty&Brandon than Jack&David.

Edited by CPantherKing

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

This will probably work out with how many people hate it.  Seems like the opposite always comes true when it comes to this team.

I loved the Fitt hire. Hate this one. I hope you’re right lol 

2 hours ago, LegioX said:

We are going to be the Lions in 30 years. I can see it now “this is a reason to celebrate Panther fans.” “This is the first time in 30 years you have won a playoff game”

lord help us

well thats a thought…or we could be like that grown Bills fan, openly weeping on the broadcast after last nights L

11 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Did Jack report to Marty or did Marty report to Jack? Think about this one. Was Jack doing the hiring & administration of all facets of the team or simply heading up the scouting department like Dan has been doing for a few years with the Panthers? You need to go back & look at how Seifert & JR delegated responsibility to Jack & Marty.

I hope Dan is more Marty&Brandon than Jack&David.

Get a Time Machine or just make up whatever version you need to. I would say the 1st year Director of football administration was handling that part. Then a couple years building a 1-15 team. Then these are Marty’s own words about the 2001 draft….

Although head coach George Seifert still had the final say in all personnel matters, virtually all of the planning and execution for the 2001 draft was done by director of football operations Marty Hurney and director of player personnel Jack Bushofsky.

"It was a good draft. And actually Jack Bushofsky was in charge of that draft. I love Jack, and I can talk about it - but that really was Jack's draft," said Hurney, who now is part-owner of a radio station in Charlotte and also hosts a sports talk show on it.

https://www.panthers.com/news/2001-draft-yields-bumper-crop-15078585

Keeping one of the creators of a 15-loss team seems like a tradition now. 

4 hours ago, ChibCU said:

Hanging out a tailgate and providing pizza = a win GM hire? Panthers are trash. 

The fact that he is president of football operations is a win. That seems to Imply the chain of command will have a different structure which is positive. I looked at the names that were floated around, Dan Morgan is as knowledgable as most of them. I just hope the micro-managing will lessen to a degree. One advantage that Dan Morgan has is that he already knows this roster and the strengths of the players. He can start a plan to improve the weakest spots immediately. 

5 minutes ago, Stuart Smith said:

The fact that he is president of football operations is a win. That seems to Imply the chain of command will have a different structure which is positive. I looked at the names that were floated around, Dan Morgan is as knowledgable as most of them. I just hope the micro-managing will lessen to a degree. One advantage that Dan Morgan has is that he already knows this roster and the strengths of the players. He can start a plan to improve the weakest spots immediately. 

If he was a part of this team and the decision-making, he sees a team of strengths. After all, this is the roster his department created.