• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tony Pauline: Campen was Tepper's "eyes and ears"

Mr. Scot

Tepper wouldn't have been in much of a position to meddle with Rhule because Rhule brought all of his own people with him.

At least not up until the final season of course, which is when staff changes were made and when Campen, Tabor and others came aboard.

Would definitely be interesting to know whether this stuff started then or didn't start until Reich. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, t96 said:

also starting to think we may have judged Rhule a bit too prematurely as well... he's definitely a douche but I think if given time and legit trust from ownership to put his vision and plan into place he could've had success on the field here. We actually saw it a bit when Wilks took over and we started winning, that was very much a team that Rhule built.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad Rhule and Reich are both gone but despite having their own issues I think Tepper's meddling didn't allow either of them to have any chance of success.

7 years is an eternity in the nfl

3 years is the standard to turn around  it seems in the nfl  lions latest example…if teams know what they are doing

Rhule is a ncaa coach and a really really bad hire 

Edited by raleigh-panther

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Tepper helped sabotage Reich from the beginning by influening his staff choices, among other things. Likely also influenced some of the major personnel choices as well, as has been discussed at length.

So yes, he affected their ability to win.

If, at some point, you experience a dysfunctional work environment like what the Panthers had, maybe you'll get it. Till then, I'm guessing not.

Tepper wants a team culture. The culture is called Dave Tepper. 

Reich sniffed it out from the beginning. He knew how it would go. Once the selection was Bryce, he checked out. He played the ‘fire me or I’ll continue the Bryce beatdown every Sunday until you do’  card. 

This team is a local media’s dream. I can’t wait to get more in to the off-season. More will come. We’re the biggest sh** show in professional sports. 

Tepper knows Bryce is not popular amongst many people on the team. The mole’s task was probably to rat out the heretics. We’re now starting to get a true sense of the paranoia that exists in the man. It’s a piece that fits perfectly in the insecure narcissistic puzzle. Convincing this type of person that they’re ever wrong, ever, in anything, is a lost cause. 

So here’s a thought. Tepper will not hire or keep personnel that may oppose him. It’ll be very interesting how things play out with Evero. This self reflection BS is not what y’all think. It’s really ‘they’re just not seeing my vision. I need to try harder this time around.’ 

So this comes to Morgan. Love the dude. His jerseys is neatly folded in my dresser drawer from the ‘03 season. Does anyone really think Tepper would ever hire a ‘sorry Dave, you’re wrong on this one’ type of guy? 

I want to be wrong. 

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

7 years is an eternity in the nfl

3 years is the standard to turn around  it seems in the nfl  lions latest example…if teams know what they are doing

Rhule is a ncaa coach and a really really bad hire 

I wonder what the results would've been if Tepper had set Rhule up for success from day one of him being hired. Rhule had to deal with the clusterfugs that were Hurney and Fitterer and constant power struggles and tepper involving himself in everything. Look, I'm no fan of Rhule and he definitely sucked, just saying we don't know how much of that was him sucking or the organization being a dumpster fire because of Tepper. After the way things played out I tend to lean more towards the latter. I doubt Dan Campbell would have had any success here the last several years if we had hired him instead of the Lions.

10 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Reich sniffed it out from the beginning. He knew how it would go. Once the selection was Bryce, he checked out. He played the ‘fire me or I’ll continue the Bryce beatdown every Sunday until you do’  card. 

This team is a local media’s dream. I can’t wait to get more in to the off-season. More will come. We’re the biggest sh** show in professional sports. 

Tepper knows Bryce is not popular amongst many people on the team. The mole’s task was probably to rat out the heretics. We’re now starting to get a true sense of the paranoia that exists in the man. It’s a piece that fits perfectly in the insecure narcissistic puzzle. Convincing this type of person that they’re ever wrong, ever, in anything, is a lost cause. 

So here’s a thought. Tepper will not hire or keep personnel that may oppose him. It’ll be very interesting how things play out with Evero. This self reflection BS is not what y’all think. It’s really ‘they’re just not seeing my vision. I need to try harder this time around.’ 

So this comes to Morgan. Love the dude. His jerseys is neatly folded in my dresser drawer from the ‘03 season. Does anyone really think Tepper would ever hire a ‘sorry Dave, you’re wrong on this one’ type of guy? 

I want to be wrong. 

Unfortunately the person that most needs to "want to be wrong" is the person least capable of ever admitting that..................as a result, your observation is right on the mark and as a result you will not get the luxury of being wrong in this case. 

The way I see it there's only 2 ways that last offseason could have caused the season to unfolded the way it did.

Tepper dictated/mandated that they trade up for a specific qb and he forced the choice. The coaches  were not on board. From there it was every man for himself when the wheels fell off. Tepper fired anyone that wasn't making his investment work out. Tepper goes Tepper and here we are.

Or, his all star staff convinced him to trade up and they chose the wrong qb. When it was obvious they chose wrong the all star staff went every man for himself and started to blame each other for it going south. Tepper goes Tepper and here we are.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, Gapanthersfan said:

I'm pretty sure it went pretty close to this.  I doubt it was from the rip, but once Frank knew Bryce was not cut from NFL cloth, he checked out.  It was only a matter of a few games if i were to guess.  Dude was a QB and worked nearly exclusively with QBs; it wouldn't take him long to figure out if Bryce was NFL caliber or not once the games started.

12 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I'm pretty sure it went pretty close to this.  I doubt it was from the rip, but once Frank knew Bryce was not cut from NFL cloth, he checked out.  It was only a matter of a few games if i were to guess.  Dude was a QB and worked nearly exclusively with QBs; it wouldn't take him long to figure out if Bryce was NFL caliber or not once the games started.

Do you guys not remember the pre season games? The team was sleepwalking and looked poorly coached. Zero energy. Even the guys fighting for a roster spot.

Whatever was wrong, it was wrong before the season began.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

Do you guys not remember the pre season games? The team was sleepwalking and looked poorly coached. Zero energy. Even the guys fighting for a roster spot.

yeah, i mean there were "good vibes" or whatever, but no energy or hype. but i think that goes along with reich's personna. he's not exactly a high energy motivator. 

i see canales as being someone that can get the players charged up. something that we've been lacking since cam was around.

3 hours ago, Tbe said:

Jets scrimmage week.  Exposed city. Whatever people were afraid of, was brought to light as real. 

I forget the timeline on the pads going on, and when the Jets things was, but the days with the pads, were Bryce Young struggled type of days, as I recall.  

• Pie 1