• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any idea of what Young is doing in the offseason to improve?

Jmac

This draft is deep at QB.  I would not be overly surprised to see them draft a developmental QB to develop late, someone like Pratt, Travis, or Rattler--I expect a day 2 CB as well, even though nobody seems to be talking about it right now--the need/talent level at CB after day 1 seems laughably loaded.

What do you all think of Shipley, the RB from Clemson?  Good route runner and hands--CMC lite?

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

This draft is deep at QB.  I would not be overly surprised to see them draft a developmental QB to develop late, someone like Pratt, Travis, or Rattler--I expect a day 2 CB as well, even though nobody seems to be talking about it right now--the need/talent level at CB after day 1 seems laughably loaded.

What do you all think of Shipley, the RB from Clemson?  Good route runner and hands--CMC lite?

Shipley would be a good get. He has size and speed and as you mention has great hands.

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I've watched every game Shipley has played. 

To me, if you took CMC in Madden and basically made him slightly worse at everything....you get Shipley.  I mean, he would be a great 3rd down type for a team.  I still think this team lacks that and you really need to incorporate that type player into a Bryce Young O.   

Rounds 4-6? I most definitely would take Shipley.  You can get solid RBs in those rounds.  Other positions are more of a crap shoot IMO that late.  Good RBs exist there.  

I still hate we wasted space w/ Miles Sanders.  

• Pie 2

Honestly, that ridiculous backpedal needs to go. Get up under center and start taking those drops. 

Damn. It’s absurd that a guy can be the number one overall but not be able to take a snap ands do a drop like a normal QB. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I don't think we take a RB in round 3.  If he's there in round 4, maybe.  We've got bigger fish to fry with our first two picks.  I am actually wanting a between the tackles guy like Estime and Allen.  A WR and defensive help is what our 2nd and 3rd round picks will ultimately be.  Once again we are screwed because of poor FA signings and crappy draft deals & picks. 

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1

6 hours ago, top dawg said:

He really needs to get in the weight room. He doesn't have that much fat, so putting on five to ten pounds of muscle should be pretty easy if he's on the right nutrition program.

Arm strength....the right on in particular.

52 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I don't think we take a RB in round 3.  If he's there in round 4, maybe.  We've got bigger fish to fry with our first two picks.  I am actually wanting a between the tackles guy like Estime and Allen.  A WR and defensive help is what our 2nd and 3rd round picks will ultimately be.  Once again we are screwed because of poor FA signings and crappy draft deals & picks. 

If I suggest it, I was confused. I think Shipley could be a day 3 pick, not a third round pick.   I have 2 rules about RBs---

1) don't draft them until day 3 if you are drafting one-instead, drive around town and look for a RB holding up a cardboard sign.  Pull up to the curb, and yell, "Get in."

2) Never sign them to a second contract.  RBs peak around age 25.5 and the average RB drops off in productivity at a rate that assures they rarely earn that second contract. (going from memory--read a study about 2 years ago--I have read several studies, and they all say basically the same thing.) Interestingly, there are 2 numbers that stand out, One article from B/R said this (called the "Curse of 370"): "A running back with 370 or more carries during the regular season will usually suffer either a major injury or loss of effectiveness the following year, unless he is named Eric Dickerson." 

Another article describes the 1800 carry (for career) "Cliff". Says that when most RBs (except a very small percentage) hit 1800 carries for their careers, they are done, for the most part.  Derrick Henry has 2000 career carries and he is 30.  According to these stats, his productivity should have dropped and he should be often injured.  Supposedly, he is seeking another contract.  That would be stupid if you are the Titans' GM. 

If I were a GM, I would not give a RB a second contract. I would trade the RB and draft one every 2 years or so.  What if the RB was 26 and coming off a 1000 yard season?  I would get a better trade value for them. The CMC trade did not bother me that much because he was already showing to be injury prone and he was not going to peak when the team was a contender.  Might as well trade him and build, but we screwed that up. This method would be smart and allow cap funds to address positions where second contracts are more productive.  When Marty Hurney signed Williams and Stewart to ridiculous second contracts, it took us a long time to get over it.

Here is a chart that demonstrates the steep slope of productivity loss after age 25.5--or the first contract. 

chart.png.e5bf5766b91ea3ca50dc50356861dc39.png

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1