• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looks like we get to keep Ejiro Evero!

I felt that we were soft at CB and vulnerable up the middle.  Derrick Brown played every down and the defense was on the field most of the game, but if he needs rest or gets injured, yikes.  I honestly do not know how this defense was so good-Starting LB lost for the season (Shaq), Starting CB (Horn) gone most of the season.   That is nearly 20% of the starting D.  Chinn disappeared.

Can I just say…a lot of people are posting these 32nd in the league stats, but not disclosing that our offense was atrocious. The defense was on the field probably 30% more than most teams. Making that number up, but it seems plausible. 

• Beer 1

48 minutes ago, KBRed said:

Can I just say…a lot of people are posting these 32nd in the league stats, but not disclosing that our offense was atrocious. The defense was on the field probably 30% more than most teams. Making that number up, but it seems plausible. 

A bad offense can make the D stats appear better sometimes though. Other teams offenses played very conservatively against us because they knew if the scored 10 or more that they would probably win.  

• Pie 1

57 minutes ago, KBRed said:

not even close to being true.

It's unbelievable how much people around here make up stats to back up what they want to believe.

NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Average Time of Possession (Excluding OT) | TeamRankings.com

We were actually one of the better teams at ToP.

On 2/1/2024 at 9:04 AM, t96 said:

honestly I hate the 3-4 and hope we switch back to 4-3 permanently. If Evero can't run a 4-3 then find someone else to do it. 

I understand this sentiment. But at the same time, with the right pieces in place the 3-4 can be just as effective. But you need really good linebackers and edge guys in that system. And they have to be players that can adapt to different roles.

The simplicity of the 4-3 makes it effective. When the 3-4 is set up right, it can be more effective if the coach is creative with his pieces. It's more adaptable in pass/run scenarios. Where the 4-3 can be exposed in 3 receiver sets, and forces you to go nickel. That's where Ron lost a lot of games bc the Nickelback would get exposed. Think the falcons game when they kept marching up Julio against Bene Benwickere.

The 3-4 can bring a safety in the box play single high and run any zone coverage from there. So it really is just a system, the Individual matters so much more than the system.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, KBRed said:

What a made up stat

On 2/1/2024 at 9:04 AM, t96 said:

honestly I hate the 3-4 and hope we switch back to 4-3 permanently. If Evero can't run a 4-3 then find someone else to do it. 

I fully agree. I have never been fond of a 3-4 defense and would like to see the Panthers get the players to be able to go to a 4-3 defense.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

It's unbelievable how much people around here make up stats to back up what they want to believe.

NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Average Time of Possession (Excluding OT) | TeamRankings.com

Interesting…I have quite the flexible mind, so I’m not stuck on that. Just thought it might be true. Thanks for the info. 

1 hour ago, KBRed said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/season/2023/seasontype/2

This link should take you to the team stats for offense across the NFL this year. We had the fewest passing yards and fewest total yards in the league this season. We were 20th in the league in rushing. We scored a league low 13.9 points per game...a slightly skewed stat because we were shut out the last two games of the season. Carolina was clearly the worst offensive team in the NFL for the 2023 season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/season/2023/seasontype/2

If you click on the tab towards the middle of the scree you can see the team defensive rankings. In terms of total yards allowed, we ranked 4th with 293.9 yards per game. We ranked 29th in points per game allowed with 24.5 pts.

Point differential -10.6 points per game. Most successful teams are going to have a positive point differential or at least break even during the course of the season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/turnovers/season/2023/seasontype/2

Carolina was -9 in turnover differential (26th in the NFL)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/car/table//sort/sacks/dir/desc

We only had 28 sacks as a team

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/car/table//sort/interceptions/dir/desc

The team had  8 INTS.

Those last stats are down from 2022.

When you factor in the bad offense, injuries, and lack of sacks/INTS, lack of a  true superstar, the defense was more than respectable in 2023. 

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, KBRed said:

If the defense is equal to the other team defense, they get off the feiild quicker.

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

1 hour ago, KBRed said:

Interesting…I have quite the flexible mind, so I’m not stuck on that. Just thought it might be true. Thanks for the info. 

Not really in the mood to dig deeper but the team was really polar. We were near the bottom of the league for Time of Possession share for the first half and at the Top in the second half.

We also led the league in total 4th downs and near the top in 3rd downs while subsequently near the bottom in first downs.

i guess the all up is we were slow getting plays off, didn’t covert often, and likely lost the field position battle.

But I think that lines up with us be great at total yards and also giving up a lot of points. Especially considering we were dead last in takeaways.

all of that babble just to say it’s hard to judge how good we were as a unit or could be as a unit if we were healthy.

3 hours ago, KBRed said:

Oooooo!  Sorry!  Thanks for playing we have some nice parting gifts for you!

We were top 10 in ToP this year, only six teams possessed the ball more:

image.png.a82a08fba38a2fd93bbfae3cf0519877.png