• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Locked on Panthers: Why the Panthers should pay Derrick Brown

Honestly the poo and disrespect Brown has taken in this forum up until this season has cultivated the most interest I’ve had in the No-Fun-League for YEARS now.

It’s been HEE-larious!

Seems like my amusement is finally over… *sad trombone*.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Not really. The clear move was to trade up for Herbert, but instead we backed up the Brinks truck and hooked our future to THE Teddy 2 Gloves. 

That was Hurney's plan, this has been said numerous times, ive even heard it from a former scout. Hurney was veto'd.

10 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

Honestly the poo and disrespect Brown has taken in this forum up until this season has cultivated the most interest I’ve had in the No-Fun-League for YEARS now.

It’s been HEE-larious!

Seems like my amusement is finally over… *sad trombone*.

In fairness, up until this season it's been a valid question as to whether DB was going to be an elite player.  His first two years were terrible.  Last season we started to see glimpses of the player he could be.  It wasn't until this year that we all saw DB become what everyone wanted him to be from the start.

It's a funny thing.  His effect on the passing game hasn't really changed.  His pressure numbers, QB hits, sacks . . . it's not any different than it was his first season.  He takes up two blockers.  That's his job.  It's good that as a fan base we've come to understand the value of a DT who can do that.  We clearly missed the mark back when we made the Star / KK decision.

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

We clearly missed the mark back when we made the Star / KK decision

That's because most people, including the Panthers' braintrust at that time, just care about the stats(sacks). Star was never a big stat guy but it wasn't his job to be either.

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

In fairness, up until this season it's been a valid question as to whether DB was going to be an elite player.  His first two years were terrible.  Last season we started to see glimpses of the player he could be.  It wasn't until this year that we all saw DB become what everyone wanted him to be from the start.

It's a funny thing.  His effect on the passing game hasn't really changed.  His pressure numbers, QB hits, sacks . . . it's not any different than it was his first season.  He takes up two blockers.  That's his job.  It's good that as a fan base we've come to understand the value of a DT who can do that.  We clearly missed the mark back when we made the Star / KK decision.

He had a brief sophomore slump (I don't really blame anyone for getting sick of Rhule's bullcrap) but was never terrible - that's nonsense. Fair to say that people questioned taking him at 10 but that was  aproduct of how he was utilized, as he always showed flashes. No question though that this year put him in much better position to shine. 

• Pie 1