• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smitty on the 2024 WR Draft Class (w/cliffnotes)

Bear Hands

9 hours ago, ECHornet said:

That was Smitty’s comp, not mine. DK is one of the biggest athletic freaks to ever play WR, so having someone who’s “close” athletically is still impressive. 

Legette is closer to AJ Brown athletically, imo. Here’s a comparison of those players at the nfl combine and Legette from the senior bowl:

DK / AJ Brown / Legette

Height: 6’3 / 6’0 / 6’1

Weight: 228 / 226 / 223

Fastest game speed (mph): 22.6 / 22.1? / 22.3

Arm Length: 34&7/8 ; 32&7/8 ; 31&5/8

Hand size: 9&7/8 ; 9&3/4 ; 8&7/8

I could see Brown more,  I'm just not a fan of Legette.  I dont want to see a guy being good at contested catches in college.  In college i want to see them getting open and creating seperation.   Guys who make a lot of contested catches in college really struggle to create any seperation in the nfl.

1 hour ago, Jackofalltrades said:

Cooper Kupp is one he nailed.

Yeah he’s had more than a few that were spot on. Not saying we should 100% take his thoughts to the bank but they’re worth sharing. Plus it’s Steve Smith—all in good fun to get some prospect talk going.

13 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I did and he'll likely regress this season.  Again, Moore has his moments, but isn't a consistent force.

4 1,000 yard seasons in 6 years (and one of the years he was below 1,000 he only started 10 games as a rookie).  Just finished 6th in receiving yards and tied for 8th in TDs.

"Has his moments"

• Pie 3

14 minutes ago, Mage said:

4 1,000 yard seasons in 6 years (and one of the years he was below 1,000 he only started 10 games as a rookie).  Just finished 6th in receiving yards and tied for 8th in TDs.

"Has his moments"

Lol, its crazy that people after all this time still downplay DJ. He consistently put up 1000 yard seasons with some of the worst QB play imaginable, and then goes to Chicago where WRs go to die and puts up almost 1400 yards. Is he a top 3 WR? No, but its not like he was a top ten pick, if you can get a DJ Moore late in the 1st round you would take that everytime.

• Pie 2

16 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

He was literally ranked like the #130th receiver as far as getting open last season. 

Curious what stat you're using to track that.  If you are using separation, you couldn't be more wrong.  Here are the WR separation stats for people who were around the same separation as Mingo last year.  It's not a bad crowd.  Slightly more separation than DJ Moore, DeeDee Lamb and Justin Jefferson if you're keeping track at home.  Slight less separation than Stefon Diggs, Brandon Aiyuk and Puka Nakua.

image.thumb.png.ff4be3678813c81841bef9cfedf3cc4c.png

17 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Curious what stat you're using to track that.  If you are using separation, you couldn't be more wrong.  Here are the WR separation stats for people who were around the same separation as Mingo last year.  It's not a bad crowd.  Slightly more separation than DJ Moore, DeeDee Lamb and Justin Jefferson if you're keeping track at home.  Slight less separation than Stefon Diggs, Brandon Aiyuk and Puka Nakua.

image.thumb.png.ff4be3678813c81841bef9cfedf3cc4c.png

This is what I used

https://espnanalytics.com/rtm/

What does "open" even mean?  It ranks CeeDee Lamb's "Open" stat as 85 and Mingo's as 21 despite the fact that they had nearly exactly the same separation.  I don't like things that obfuscate statistics behind rankings.  Smells like Madden to me.

I honestly want us to draft at least 2 WR and create a young, hungry WR room who push each other instead of more of the Veteran remix we keep trying.  Take the GB strategy and see who pushes up.  This is a deep class and we have massive needs there - we should take a strong group IMO since it would be a huge, cheap win if it works.

I agree with him about Corley---we NEED a YAC guy.

I agree with Verge about Washington from UVA, but I would want him around the late third early fourth.  Do not go to sleep on CMC's little brother at Rice--the type of guy who gets better with age and stays in the NFL for 40 years.  Not sure about his skill set, but his hands look good.  Bloodlines alone worth a flyer on him.

Smitty missed a couple predictions, so that means he sucks??

Please........anyone that feels that way, list your top 10 rookie WRs and lets check the list after some time. 

Smitty is as good as they come about rookie WRs, holy hell @ "hes not batting 1.000 crowd" 

1 hour ago, jtm said:

Are we seriously writing off Mingo after one year.  Rookie WRs rarely explode their first year in the NFL.  

especially with the situation he was thrown in to.  A lot of our recent draft picks have looked bad, but consider how many coaches and coordinators they've been handed.  Some of these guys have had 2 different head coaches in the same season twice.  We need stability to give these guys a chance to get better.