• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Kaye: Panthers going after starting C

14 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I heard somebody say it who knew what they were talking about--forgot who):  Build from the inside out, front to back.

Lots of former pros and coaches preach this.  Positions closest to the ball are the most difficult/complicated to coach and play.  

Ask any of his QB’s how important Jason Kelce was.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

If you want to build an O-line, you have to start with the smartest and most skilled Center you can find. You have to get a guy who can call protections, who can direct the other four guys, who can learn the playbook and recite it to the other players. 

We made it to the Super Bowl with Ryan Kalil and four guys who couldn't start for most other teams. You need THAT kind of guy.

I thought Bozeman was it, but last year was terrible. In his defense, he lost both of his starting guards before the season was really under way, his LT hit the sophomore slump, and his rookie QB who thought he could explain the blocking schemes really couldn't. Plus the overall coaching and position coaching was terrible. Oh yeah, and there was no help from the back up tight ends and the highly touted FA RB who weighed about 125 lbs with a handful of rocks in his pockets.

Maybe Bozeman wasn't that bad and is still our guy. Who knows? It's way, way, way early before the draft to be etching picks in stone.

• Pie 2

12 hours ago, amcoolio said:

I'm open to drafting a guard or center at 33. Interior OL is our biggest issue on the entire team.

Graham Barton makes sense at 33. He can play both. 

28 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

If you want to build an O-line, you have to start with the smartest and most skilled Center you can find. You have to get a guy who can call protections, who can direct the other four guys, who can learn the playbook and recite it to the other players. 

We made it to the Super Bowl with Ryan Kalil and four guys who couldn't start for most other teams. You need THAT kind of guy.

I thought Bozeman was it, but last year was terrible. In his defense, he lost both of his starting guards before the season was really under way, his LT hit the sophomore slump, and his rookie QB who thought he could explain the blocking schemes really couldn't. Plus the overall coaching and position coaching was terrible. Oh yeah, and there was no help from the back up tight ends and the highly touted FA RB who weighed about 125 lbs with a handful of rocks in his pockets.

Maybe Bozeman wasn't that bad and is still our guy. Who knows? It's way, way, way early before the draft to be etching picks in stone.

Norwell and Turner couldve started on other teams when they were in their prime. But yeah, almost every time I saw Bozeman, he was getting man handled. Maybe he is better when his guards can block better and he can chip in and help double team, but he isnt very good at 1 v 1.

11 hours ago, HardcoreHokie said:

Lots of former pros and coaches preach this.  Positions closest to the ball are the most difficult/complicated to coach and play.  

Ask any of his QB’s how important Jason Kelce was.

In fact, I used to coach HS football and we once stayed at Va Tech for a week and observed coaches there--Beamer might have been the first person I heard say it.  That was back in  1995

• Beer 1

Guy has 77 starts on the interior line. If they completely cut him, you just have to laugh. He was a serviceable starter who looked "below average" last year. Along with an entire offense that looked below average, bar none. I am all for trying to upgrade the OL but you don't cut a C/G that has 77 starts for some unproved youngster. At worst he is the best backup interior lineman we have. He isn't "trash". He had a bad year while being flanked by the worst starting guards I have ever seen on this team.

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Bozeman is a fine center just not a fit in the new offense (nor was he last season). Need players that fit the system so this could be seen coming from a mile away.

Okay I don’t understand that assertion so much. For the reason that just yesterday or the day before Canales said on camera with Kay Adams that we would be able to run the ball. Sounded determined. Talked about it as the team’s identity.

Really, put up Canales picture and run John Fox audio, it still fits. Yeah. Run the ball and play defense. QB one of 11. Sounded serious, and looking at the tools of the QB he has to work with, probably exactly what he should do. 

Okay, that, and the success the team had running the ball after Rhule was fired and Bozeman was at C for that. So I don’t know about that take. (yeah the fit could still be all wrong which would make me wrong).

But I saw the same things other people saw last year. Not good enough. 

Ands it probably won’t be run the ball the same way Fox would. Run it after the catch of a short throw is more what I think we will see than under center play action, though I do expect some of that. . 

As far as Bozeman in general, what was mentioned about the guys on his flanks, is fair. People want the QB to get help but not the C apparently. (OTOH I would also understand thinking the LT REALLY needs help so the C has to be a guy who generally doesn’t need help). 

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I expected a rough year for him simply because he had a newborn. Unless I’m mistaken, the first child. That is rough on a guy that has to get up and be super fresh and physical and ready to excel at work. You don’t get any sleep. Another new scheme. No freaking help from his QB or the guys at G. 

I guess it’s possible as well, that maybe he could slide to G or be an interior super sub. Or play somewhere else. 

Edited by strato