• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Justin Fields traded for bag of chips, why couldn’t we get Gerber competition?

3 hours ago, Buckeye Homer said:

It's not like Fields went into an ideal situation, unlike what Caleb Williams will be going into.  How good would Fields look if the Niners had drafted him instead of trading up for Lance?  Fields is better than you think.

He would look like absolute garbage in shanahan's offense because he can't read the field and pull the trigger in a timely manner.

Granted, he could have been coached better in SF and therefor looked better, but as things stand now he just isn't a starting QB in the league.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, strato said:

Filed under ‘what goes around comes around’. By the same token if Bryce were any good they'd have used the pick themselves. 

They wanted to give him a fair shot which is good, but he just did not improve over 3 years. They took the trade because it was a king's ransom that would set them up for the future whether Fields was good or not.

Like if we absolutely suck next year but BY gets hurt for an extended period of time so we can't properly evaluate him, don't be surprised if we do the same thing they did and trade away the #1 pick to some dumbass team willing to sacrifice a ton of capital for a franchise QB while we punt to 2026, give Bryce another shot, then use the draft capital to retool in 2026.

Not saying I want it to happen, it just prolongs our misery as fans, but I wouldn't be surprised.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Becasue fields sucks. If 32 NFL actual GMs see it, why can’t y’all couch warriors?

I wouldn't go as far as saying he sucks; there is potential there. But clearly he's more highly thought of by fans and the sports media than he is in actual league circles. Otherwise they could have gotten a LOT more in a trade.

My biggest question here is why the Eagles didn't trade for Fields instead of Kenny Pickett? If you're going to trade for a young former 1st round QB with - presumably - some untapped potential left, why not go with the guy who has always had the higher ceiling?

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I wouldn't go as far as saying he sucks; there is potential there. But clearly he's more highly thought of by fans and the sports media than he is in actual league circles. Otherwise they could have gotten a LOT more in a trade.

My biggest question here is why the Eagles didn't trade for Fields instead of Kenny Pickett? If you're going to trade for a young former 1st round QB with - presumably - some untapped potential left, why not go with the guy who has always had the higher ceiling?

I have said it before, Fields is an ELECTRIC runner, like Lamar Jackson levels of good at running the ball.

He unfortunately is Jimmy Clausen levels of throwing the football. His athleticism makes up some for his shortcomings as a passer which provide highlight reel plays at least once a game, but the rest of the time he drops back to pass he looks lost.

It very well could be a horrible offensive fit, that does happen, some QBs are better equipped to run certain offenses over others. Fields would probably do better in a Greg Roman style offense where they really lean into the QB's mobility at the detriment to the passing game, but that offense only works for so long and Fields would need to progress much further as a passer in order to reclaim a starting position in the league.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to LAC next offseason, or up to BAL to backup Lamar.

• Pie 1

I mean on one hand Fields potential is enormous and he never really had a stable coaching staff and we have a supposed qb fixer as a head coach.  It might have been worth a 6 to get him in and see whats up.

But you do that and you potentially crater whatever confidence bryce has left

for a 6th I would have done it

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Brad Nortman was also pretty good for us in the 6th round. If you gave me the choice between drafting a solid punter in round 6 or having Justin Fields, I would pick the punter every time.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

They wanted to give him a fair shot which is good, but he just did not improve over 3 years. They took the trade because it was a king's ransom that would set them up for the future whether Fields was good or not.

Like if we absolutely suck next year but BY gets hurt for an extended period of time so we can't properly evaluate him, don't be surprised if we do the same thing they did and trade away the #1 pick to some dumbass team willing to sacrifice a ton of capital for a franchise QB while we punt to 2026, give Bryce another shot, then use the draft capital to retool in 2026.

Not saying I want it to happen, it just prolongs our misery as fans, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Please don’t say things like that I need my safe space.

• Beer 1

16 hours ago, rayzor said:

Do we want to trade any more picks to the bears for what most believe is a bad QB?

Seriously, think about this. Just how low do you want to go? Think of the optics on the Burns fiasco.

Then multiply that by 10,890.

We sell the farm so we can trade for BY then give them a other pick for the QB they wanted nothing to do with.

Yowzers

It makes zero sense… so of course the huddle is up in arms about why we didn’t trade for him. 

this year is all about finding out if Bryce is it or not, which is exactly what the Bears did this year getting weapons for Fields to see if he could be the guy. If Bryce isn’t it, we’re drafting a qb next year. If he is, we don’t need Fields here as a backup that costs us a draft pick. Either way going after Fields who is proven not to be starting caliber qb makes zero sense.