• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pump the brakes

29 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Stroud made the situation work, not the other way around. You say 50/50 but it seemed from my Stroud side to be more like 70/30 on team Bryce before the draft and it was obvious to me then just as much as now the difference in talent between the two. 

A lot of people here wanted Stroud when we initially made the trade but convinced themselves Bryce was the better pick when the media went on a month long jerk off session for Bryce and tried to tear CJ down.

There's some people that stuck with CJ as their pick but a lot of people jumped ship when they saw the tide turning in Bryces favor. I got nailed for not believing in him when it got closer to the draft and became obvious we were picking him. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, NAS said:

I hope you’re right but problem is Teppers are emotionally invested, hopefully they stay out of the way this time 

If Bryce stinks in 2024 and they didn't bring in any other young qbs for real competition,  that's how you would know they're still meddling 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Probably. I think Purdy is a step up from Bryce and Tua another step up from Purdy but I think they're all in that category of QB that you're hamstringing yourself when you have to pay them like a legit franchise QB.

And therein lays the hope (or curse), if there is any.  Bryce will have to re-sign with the Panthers on a cap friendly deal.  Any other team will see and understand what the Panthers had to do to build a system around him, and the cost incurred.  He will be a special situation QB, for the right system only.  Who will want to sign him for Josh Allen money?  He won’t even get Tua money.  

Point guard.

21 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

A lot of people here wanted Stroud when we initially made the trade but convinced themselves Bryce was the better pick when the media went on a month long jerk off session for Bryce and tried to tear CJ down.

There's some people that stuck with CJ as their pick but a lot of people jumped ship when they saw the tide turning in Bryces favor. I got nailed for not believing in him when it got closer to the draft and became obvious we were picking him. 

Yea that’s how remember it too. There weren’t many of us that stuck to what our eyes told us about the both of them. 

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

And therein lays the hope (or curse), if there is any.  Bryce will have to re-sign with the Panthers on a cap friendly deal.  Any other team will see and understand what the Panthers had to do to build a system around him, and the cost incurred.  He will be a special situation QB, for the right system only.  Who will want to sign him for Josh Allen money?  He won’t even get Tua money.  

Point guard.

These 2nd QB contracts have got out of hand. Every QB isn't worth $40 million. The Giants were crazy to give Daniel Jones all of the money.

If Bryce gets better, but doesn't become elite QB over the next 2-3 seasons, then you need to start negotiating with him before he hits his 5th year...preferably after year 3. You let him know that we can't afford to get you a $5o mil deal and keep the rest of the talent around you. If you realize that Bryce wants more than he's worth you draft a guy high in the draft before the 5th year and let him hit the market. Unless he's become a stud by the end of year 5, he's going to realize that he isn't going to get a $50 mil deal from another team.

Bryce seems to have a good head on his shoulders. He may realize that he needs to stay in Carolina to have the best chance to succeed in the NFL.

5 hours ago, spydaman27 said:

I know there was a 50/50 over Young and Stroud last year, it wasn’t 90% Stroud 10% Young. Stroud was put into a much better situation. He also had a much stellar year than anyone could have expected. He was a rookie qb in MVP talks. It will over shadow Bryce. Let’s give this man a chance though. His awful coach was fired a few games in. Hopefully we worked on the O line, we brought in a better receiver. Stop all the hate, give Bryce a chance. There had to be a reason he was regarded as a number 1 pick, not just by the team that took him. 

I think draft status immediately goes out the window to a degree once you really step on a football field on Sundays. 

So the fact that Bryce went #1 doesn't really matter at all at this point.  I mean, to an extent it is going to matter in terms of how big of a chance a FO gives him.  But as far as expectations and being judged? I don't think Bryce should really be treated any different than a 2nd or 4th round pick in terms of judgement. 

Bryce Young was always an anomaly at QB.   No matter what the hype was in college.  As one coach said, if you are going to win w/ a QB bringing what Bryce physically brings to the table....he better walk on water.   

I think he could be a decent starter in a good place one day....but he just doesn't have the god gifted tools IMO to thrive in the NFL.   And his mental QB DNA isn't that of a Brees/Wilson.  

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

Bust and move on quickly.

As much as I will hate the indignity of the Panthers simultaneously drafting the biggest bust of all time, and making arguably the worst trade of all time in one sweaty bowl movement, I can bear that. I can't bear us spending the better part of a decade trying to prop up something that's just not going to work. See: "Sunk Cost Fallacy."

If Bryce shows us more of the same this year, then we'll be in a position to draft in the top 5 again. At that point, we'll need to just swallow that bitter, jagged pill and admit we fugged up catastrophically and move on. Just don't double down on the mistake.

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Bust and move on quickly.

As much as I will hate the indignity of the Panthers simultaneously drafting the biggest bust of all time, and making arguably the worst trade of all time in one sweaty bowl movement, I can bear that. I can't bear us spending the better part of a decade trying to prop up something that's just not going to work. See: "Sunk Cost Fallacy."

If Bryce shows us more of the same this year, then we'll be in a position to draft in the top 5 again. At that point, we'll need to just swallow that bitter, jagged pill and admit we fugged up catastrophically and move on. Just don't double down on the mistake.

for all Tepper's many faults......Tepper does move on quickly from his mistakes.  That's really can't be denied.  Problem is Tepper moves on from mistakes by making more mistakes. 

I think Tepper will move in a different direction if Bryce remains largely the same guy. 

The rookie salary cap is designed for teams to be able to move on from a high pick that doesn't work out.  If Bryce doesn't show considerable improvement this year, the Panthers will likely draft another QB next year.  No one should write off a rookie QB in year 1, but after year 2 is a different story.  I'm pulling for Bryce.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Harbingers said:

That’s if Young and the coaches can even translate his assets in a tangible way(not just on paper) to the NFL. 

yes.  Lotta variables.  The system needs to be a big part.  If the play is to have the ball out in 2.7 seconds, you should not need a $100m OL

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, jtm said:

The rookie salary cap is designed for teams to be able to move on from a high pick that doesn't work out.  If Bryce doesn't show considerable improvement this year, the Panthers will likely draft another QB next year.  No one should write off a rookie QB in year 1, but after year 2 is a different story.  I'm pulling for Bryce.

Yes, but the draft has to have the answer at QB---early indications are that the QB group next season could be the worst since the Kenny Pickett parade rode through.