• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Saints sign Chase Young

42 minutes ago, BeenPounding said:

You aren't trading two high second round picks to move up in the first.  That would be the equivalent of the 15th pick according to Jimmy Johnson.  Who in the middle of the first outside of Brock Bowers would help us, right now, more than two high second round picks.  At this point we need more players than pedigree.

I agree, but only on the surface.  You have to look at the draft.  The reality could force their hand, which was my point.  Not that they SHOULD do this, but I said the COULD do this:  If we bring in another WR it could mean that we could wait until the third round and grab another WR, pretty much giving us our WR corps.  They will realize that a WR with second round talent will be there at 65.  So the Panthers enter the draft basically desperately needing an elite edge.  They have average  at the Jack LB--Barno and Chaisson.  Drafting a third OLB in that range in round 2 could mean that you add a "B-" player and it forces you to cut a "C-" player.  However, there are three premier edge rushers who could be there around pick 15. 

16. Laiatu Latu UCLA

If you wait until pick 32, the only hope is for Chop Robinson, and he is two notches below the top three 3-4 edge Jack LBs.  He is rated #30, and he, in 10 games, was less than half as productive as Verse and Latu.  Robinson is likely to be gone as well without a trade up.  So there is not Jack OLB Edge rusher to take at 32 or 39.

On the top 100 players ranking list I am using, the next Jack OLB is Braswell (Alabama) at #47.  However, the reviews on him are not overwhelmingly positive for that position.  It seems he might make a better SOLB.  He lacks the bend, etc.  High motor and loves the game, but I question how effective he will be.  So I would not reach for him with the 39th pick.  Trade down?  maybe an option, but you are still getting a player who seems to be much less of a natural fit thant Verse or Latu.

If you wait until the next group of players become values, then pick 65 is a good spot.  Take a look at the picks for 250 lb edge rushers in the 60-95 range.  That is where you take an edge Jack OLB if you don't trade up in this draft for an elite edge Jack OLB. 

This from Tankathon is what I was using.  If we do not sign an elite Edge in free agency, we probably are not drafting an elite edge without trading up.

image.thumb.png.ceb824055d9c296253b63fc91eecd41b.png

If we don't trade up, Personally, I really like Trice and I think Booker is a good fit. I might take Braswell if we trade down because I love his motor.  I think that Verse and Latu are in the Burns conversation, while these others are backups on other teams.  We already have Barno and Chaisson, fwiw.

You can look at it like this--the Burns trade provided the #39 we needed to take an elite Edge rusher with our first pick.
Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 4

52 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If we do not sign Clowney, it could mean that we trade both seconds or a second and third to get into the first round for one.  I hope they do not do that--but they may feel they need a young stud pass rusher.

Morgan has said we will not trade up,  will make a pick at 33 or trade down.  Gotta build all around.

I see your point, but in an effort to build a complete roster I would do my best to stack prospects.  Honestly, if Chop and Darius Robinson were available at 33/39 I'd grab them both and push WR to the 3rd/4th rounds. 

Could you imagine the damage a front 3 of DB, AR, and Darius Robinson would cause?  Having that 1 player who is a stand out would be great.  Turner is the only one that is that guy, in my opinion, in the 1st round. 

Honestly, I'm liking Chris Braswell more and more as well.  When the scouting report reads "He plays with his pants on fire..." and the biggest knock is they don't think he has enough "ankle flexation" I'd take a gamble on that guy.

The top 3 sack leaders from the 2023 draft were all drafted outside of the first round. All were mid to late 3rd rounders.  Just saying, with good scouting (lately pretty rare on Mint St) we have options.

image.thumb.png.b95e9837897500482cdec8838b8dd711.png 

• Pie 1