• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Receiver Archetype We're targeting...

18 minutes ago, WestPanthers said:

I don't know..........I'm not a fan of Keon C at first, but the more I watch his films the more I'm fine if we pick him. He looks a lot like Michael Thomas for me and their measurement are almost the same too. I know he ran 4.61 for his 40 but in fact he was the faster WR for running the gaunlet drill in the combine. He busts and hand is incredible too. And you're right, Canales likes big WR, however I know a lot of huddlers here don't appreciate for another FSU prospects.

I've heard some Huddlers say that "Canales likes big receivers," but I can't find any evidence of this. I think that he likes playmakers that have that dawg in them. 

10 hours ago, chknwing said:

Keon Coles if he's there and its not even close.  He gives young a big target that can go up and get the ball, especially over the middle.  This offense will get the ball out quick.  Down field routes won't have long to develop.  

Why do want someone to go up and get the ball over the middle? Wouldn’t you rather have WR that can get quick separation and catch the ball in stride over the middle and make longer gains? Going up and getting the ball over the middle smells like little separation jump ball where there’s no YAC.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

Why do want someone to go up and get the ball over the middle? Wouldn’t you rather have WR that can get quick separation and catch the ball in stride over the middle and make longer gains? Going up and getting the ball over the middle smells like little separation jump ball where there’s no YAC.

Red Zone offense? Would be nice to just get a legit TE for that though

10 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Red Zone offense? Would be nice to just get a legit TE for that though

It would be nice to involve TEs in the game plan again.  

You don't think Tremble can be that guy? He's shown a lot of flashes, particularly last season. I have a feeling he's ready to play a bigger role in the offensive game plan.

In my mocks I keep coming back to some 2Wr combo between Mcconkey, Pearsall, and Burton. Javon Baker creeps in there as well as a later round pick even though he shouldn't.

But I think, at the moment anyways, those first three give Bryce the most reliable targets.

1 hour ago, WUnderhill said:

We don’t have the luxury of worrying about what “type” of receiver we’re drafting. Just draft a guy who can get open and catch the ball.

That's the archetype. Guys who can get open/get to the ball and catch it.

• Pie 2

Sticky hands, slot machine, can play outside as a flanker, has real on-field quickness, is an excellent route runner, and doesn’t shy from contact.  I don’t see how that type doesn’t succeed at an NFL level.

He’s good for all types of sets–screens, motion, is a seam-stretcher, zone beater.  The immediate combo Z/slot ability puts him well over guys that are only one receiver type.  And his technical advancement puts him well ahead of the questionable X-prototypes.  He also takes on blocks (willingly) and is a physical guy with natural hand talent and speed.  

So speed, quickness, gets separation, sticky hands, plays multiple spots, and plays with such tenacity…that's who I want.

That dude is Ricky Pearsall. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

26 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Sticky hands, slot machine, can play outside as a flanker, has real on-field quickness, is an excellent route runner, and doesn’t shy from contact.  I don’t see how that type doesn’t succeed at an NFL level.

He’s good for all types of sets–screens, motion, is a seam-stretcher, zone beater.  The immediate combo Z/slot ability puts him well over guys that are only one receiver type.  And his technical advancement puts him well ahead of the questionable X-prototypes.  He also takes on blocks (willingly) and is a physical guy with natural hand talent and speed.  

So speed, quickness, gets separation, sticky hands, plays multiple spots, and plays with such tenacity…that's who I want.

I wonder if the Colts are looking at him to reunite with AR. They do already have Downs in the slot though.  

I am not 100% sure that 33 is going to be a WR.   BPA may be our choice at 33. Than we can address WR at 39.  We have 2 good route runners now and need a good route running speedster. Mingo and TMJ are big receivers who need to become better route runners.  Hopefully, Canales will work with them and improve or WR room.   

4 weeks to go.

17 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Pearsall has some good characteristics, but he will never be an X from what I just looked at. I think that the slot fits his type of play well. He's more of a shifty and "slashy" type of receiver who can exploit zones, and his game speed isn't as fast as his 40 time would indicate. I don't think that he's overly physical, and I don't see number one upside with Pearsall. I'd think about him though, but somewhere in the 3rd---maybe late 2nd. There is certainly a way to exploit his talents.