• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The value of Pick #33 if traded

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

This is what we discuss this time of year, folks.  And until we know who is on the board, I do not know how anyone can say with certainty, "I am not moving down..."   You look at the board and make decisions accordingly, so you really should consider possible offers. 

Great post

• Pie 1

The record for WR's in the 1st round is 7 in 2004

This draft might break it if that's the case it will mean players at other positions of need (EDGE, CB, C)will fall out of the 1st round into Dan Morgan's sexy lap he must stay patient and not panic if their top 8/9 WR's are off the board by #33

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

At least they get a whole night to sleep on it and have some teams start a little bidding war for 33 if a certain player that we're not interested in falls. If there's someone worth another team trading up for we should probably just take that player though

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Don't trade the pick. Just take the best player available.  The team needs talent, not just bodies.

Yep. That was a Fitterer/Rhule thing. "We can get like 11 guys!!"

Fast forward to almost none of them being on the roster.

• Beer 2

6 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Yep. That was a Fitterer/Rhule thing. "We can get like 11 guys!!"

Fast forward to almost none of them being on the roster.

And sadly that made most of the posters here happy at that time. They bought into the line about all the players except the top 15 being nearly the same in Fitterer and Rhule's eyes. "We got a real GM because he's working the draft!" was a common comment despite giving up better talent for warm bodies.

• Beer 1

If you believe Bucky Brooks and his fellow "experts" there isn't a lot of true 1st round talent in this draft. He claims that there isn't a difference in talent level from 25 to 50 in their projections. I heard him say that yesterday morning during a segment on nfl network with a couple of other draftniks giving their assessments. If true its less likely a true "1st round" talent will fall to use unless a few teams reach on some players. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

IMO, trading down should be reserved for not having strong feelings for the guys available at your pick.

Or strong feelings for multiple players available at your pick. Don’t drop back far and make sure you get one of them. Teams give up some stupid hauls when you hold a valuable pick. 

I'm seeing in the range of 16-20 true first round grades on prospects this year.  We could be sitting in a position where trading back a couple spots keeps us with the same caliber type player and picking up an extra day 2 pick on top of it.  Arizona moved back 8 spots from 33 just last year and picked up a 3rd.

We're going to have a grouping of players we like around that pick, if we feel we can still get one and move back to grab extra capital go for it.  We're not one player away anyway.

• Beer 1

If you can get these guys into a bidding war, I'd do it.

Vegas gives us 44, 77, 208 and 2025 3rd for 33.

4 picks in the top 77 could net us some very good players.  Starter-caliber LB, TE, WR, and OC could all be on the table.

I'm going to be honest here, I've thought of all different things that could happen at 33 and I come down to this: Stick with #33 and take the best player available, whoever it is.

This team has so many holes in it that whoever has sneakily slipped down past the picks beforehand, we need to grab, no matter what position they play. Our team sucks so bad right now that any good player can make a difference. And I'll even go so far as to say if Nix or Pinix happens to be there, then grab them. Let them fight it out with Bryce to win the starting position. At the end of the season, one might be tradeworthy and one might finally be the guy we were looking for.

That's harsh, but it's reality. There isn't one safe spot on this team, not even Brown at DT. (And he is a phenomenal building block but we are about to hit major sticker shock for him after this season). 

Pick the best player available. We get to watch a lot of teams make desperation picks on day one, we get to have some of the better teams winnow the chaff, and we get an entire night to think over who is available. Don't pick with the hope for a positional rebuild, we have 22 of those spots that need to be addressed. 

And do it the same darned way with our second second round pick. Hell, take the the remainder of the Nix/Pinix group there. 

I think we'll see someone else at 33 than a QB that's the best available, but I'm not going to rule out continuing to fish for a franchise QB.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1