• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you risk early pick on Peyton Wilson?

Jmac

He's stayed relatively healthy the past two seasons, won every significant defensive award this past season, and his 40 and 10 yard split were elite for his position. So, yeah, he is worth a 1st and I would certainly be comfortable taking him at 33.

9 minutes ago, Mistuh Jones said:

I thought we were all talking BPA? If he's there and no one we like better (not reaching for a need) then I'd take him, because with this D Line on paper, he would be absolutely feasting out there, and a long term solution to 1/3rd of the linebacker issue is locked up for a lil bit. I say that while still thinking there BET not be a WR we love sitting there. BPA but what we need are weapons first and foremost. Defense can be improved later 

I'm with you. As much as I love wide receivers, If a higher graded person is available at another position of importance, then it is what it is. We must remember that it's about grades though, and raw talent is only a part of the equation---probably a big part, but positional value as well as injury history is in there somewhere also. That being said, If he can stay healthy, he just may end up being the best LB in this class. The deep class at WR could possibly play an impact as well (and may end up as a blessing or a curse).

I'd usually be all for it.

But this team needs true wide receivers and playmakers. This offense has been very very very fuggin difficult to watch the last 6 seasons. 

Defense doesn't win championships anymore. Heck defense doesn't even really win regular season games anymore. Panthers been marching out respectable to great defenses for a long time, and very little to show for it. Never even had consecutive winning seasons - like ever. Get with the times and stop thinking they're smarter than everyone else. 

56 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

To be fair, none of those guys had injury issues before getting to the NFL

This.  If he's had 2 major injures in college, he will definitely get hurt in the pros.  Injury prone linebackers can be had later in the draft.  We don't have the luxury of extra picks to take a risk on.  Looks like a stud though. 

• Pie 1

I think he's the selection in R2 for us based on Morgan and the need for someone with a high IQ and work ethic to wear the green dot. 

I also think 33 will be traded to kick off day two as it often is. 

So, my crystal ball that means absolutely nothing is WR at 39 and then with our selection probably in the late 40s/early 50's would be Wilson. We drafted Kuechly when the "need" wasn't really there.

Wilson's red flags are health, but he was outstanding this past year at staying on the field. Two torn ACLs but with a guy like Thomas Davis still connected here and the last injury for Wilson coming 3 years ago, I'd say if the medicals are cleared, he's as healthy as TD was. A  hybrid TD/Kuechly is what Morgan probably sees in Wilson, and the rookie would fit opposite Jewell's lack of coverage/range like a glove.

We can still grab a C at 65 and add TE, CB and EDGE.

Something like:

- Legette

- Wilson

- Van Pran or Bortollini

- Wiley

- Brownlee

Edited by Soul Rebel
  • Pie 1

I think the context being missed is that when we drafted Kuechly he was coming into a defense that was dead last in the league the previous year. In that situation you take the best defensive player no matter what position and move on. This time around you are drafting a guy thats coming to a defense that was top 10 maybe 5  last year and not the biggest issue on this team. Its also not a pass rusher or coverage DB that were the actually weaknesses last year, sure he has pass rush ability but he isnt a full time DE like we need. Thats just what i am taking into consideration and why i would go WR or pass rush first.

Edited by CPF4LIFE

I would. I feel like they have not addressed Luke’s absence so if this guy is really that good I’d have no issue. I mean, you have Morgan and no doubt Luke also, to evaluate LBs. I would trust them to get a good one. 

Unless the perfect WR is there.

Not just a decent WR. I think between the coaching staff and the scheme that is coming and the signing big money Gs for the New Orleans model to help this struggling QB they took, it is enough. Do not over prioritize the WR need. But if a can’t miss star is there, I understand. 

2 hours ago, Jmac said:

As the draft draws near, trying to get all my ducks in a row about the picks.  Wilson is a very good line backer. Problem is he may be a big risk with his injury history.

Would you choose him in the 2nd or hope he falls, or not at all.I have a feeling our ex-middle lB in the front office may want to fill this need with a strong talent.

Opinions??

...We got enough of those...

First off, good thread topic.  He has had 2 ACL injuries and I think he has had something with his shoulder, based on the brace he wears.  having said that, I know of an NFL LB that once had 3 ACL injuries and I wanted to cut him.  I think his name was Davis.

Morgan has made comments about him and I expect him to be there at 39.  I would say there is a good chance that he is a Panther.  Dan wants an intelligent Alpha in the middle and the Panthers have a long tradition of ILBs.  Luke and Dan were probably our best and they were QBs on defense.  Beason was too little, Mills was too little--both turned out to be studs.   

Jewell and thompson are nearly 30.  We don't have a lot behind them.  I expect the pick to be Wilson if he is there at 39.

I have spoken.

• Beer 1

I keep going up with him. At first I didn't even want to use the 3rd on him, but time has changed my opinion. 

The main deal is he most compares to Luke, whom went 9th overall. If you look hard at tape and measures, he is a little BETTER than a HOFer Luke...... So that's needed to overlook his injuries, which only TD played with 3 ACLs and Payton's got 2. 

Now Im willing to go 39th and 33rd is in the realm too. Im deeply worried about the injuries, but its been 2 years of health.....sure the NFL is a big man league and all, but he's Luke 2.1 college wise. So right now even though panthers should NOT risk early 2s on a player with big injury issues, the reward tells me "You better run and count your blessings if he's NOT a 1st." 

So 39th and the arrow is still up, 33 is not off the table. FYI this by all means is shaqs last season and the only other LB is Jewell. LB has the least depth and talent on the team. 

I honestly think one of the teams 20-32 will take the risk and gamble. Plus Id love to hear a pro NFL doctor comment on his medicals too. 

• Pie 1