• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft a QB or Nix the idea?

On 4/5/2024 at 11:10 AM, MHS831 said:

3 weeks til we go on the clock.  As you all know, during these days of speculation and roster analysis, I tend to throw stuff out there--the things you don't talk about at parties, but you need me on that wall.  Where was I?....Oh, someone said something that I think could warrant discussion, especially amongst all you Bryce haters. 

• Point:  Canales said he was going to build an offense to play to Young's strengths.  He is true to his word--did it before.'
  • Point:  The Panthers interviewed/met with Bo Nix at the Combine.
  • Point:  Canales never said there would be no "Plan B," and he never said that they were "all in" on Bryce.
  • Point:  The Broncos are interested.
  • Point:  The QB crop does not look great for 2025.

NFL Network Description of Nix (6'2", 215):  Rare five-year starting quarterback whose play has matured in front of our eyes. Nix displays the accuracy, arm talent and athleticism consistent with today’s brand of pro quarterback. He can be punctual in getting the ball out at the top of his drop or he can work through progressions and beat defenses with second-reaction plays. He throws with good velocity and puts the ball on the money when throwing on the move. Nix has shown great improvement with his pocket poise. He’s capable of moving the sticks as a scrambler or as part of the running game. Some of his gaudy production has been driven by the Oregon offense’s design, but his talent clearly stands out. I’ve harbored bias from watching the overwhelmed version of Nix during his Auburn days, but as the saying goes, “tape don’t lie.” Nix appears more than ready to attack the league with an NFL-caliber skill set.

• Point:  The NFL Network claims that Nix has the skills to be a "plus starter" in this league.
  • Point:  There are successful QBs who have benefited from lots of starting experience in college.  One played in Super Bowl.
  • Point:  The NFL Network site compared Nix to Tony Romo.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bo-nix/32004e49-5811-8212-6abe-fc1a8b4f4942

QUESTION: Would you pull the trigger at 33 and take a WR at 39?   I need the truth.  We will call drafting Nix a "code red."  Would you order the code red?

Would I? Absolutely.  Will it happen? No.  FYI, I pitched this idea many, many weeks ago and the resounding answer was no.  Then I asked if we don't want Nix, then should we trade back to a QB needy team?  Most people don't even want to trade back out of #33 even though we have a pick at #39 now.

Conclusion: We will stay at #33 and reach for a WR since it looks like a run on wideouts is fairly inevitable. Panthers clinic on how to fug up a draft 1.0.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I would pass on Nix but Penix would be hard to pass on.  

A couple weeks ago Penix looked like QB6 and then had a really, really solid Pro Day.  Somehow with McCarthy being a top 10 guy now, Penix is going to get scooped up by one of those QB needy teams just outside the top 10.  That's the reason I think it's pretty silly not to entertain the thought of taking Nix or moving back if he somehow slides from, say, pick 14 all the way to #33.   There's a wide gap between Nix and Rattler (who is universally regarded as QB7)-- or restated, the next best guy after the big 6.

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, rayzor said:

Posting videos of his workout?

That's for guys without jobs.

I suppose he'd prefer Bryce focus on a YouTube channel and getting in fights over fake youth football.

Edited by csx

12 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I hope everyone realizes that when I throw a thread like this out, I am not condoning or supporting the topic.  I play Devil's advocate at times--like the TMJ thread and this one.  I simply want to generate some discussions and hear ideas and thoughts.  Mostly my perspective is affirmed, but I am not always on board with the majority.  For example, I am undecided on Bryce.  Why?  The college team I played on was very good--and the QB was a stud.  However, at practice, the backups who seemed to pretty much suck (I caught passes and was on the second team;  throws were often behind me, over my head, out of bounds, etc).  We usually scrimmaged vs. the first team defense.  However, when the starting QB was sick, the second team QB stepped in that week and threw dimes vs. the second team defense.  What changed?  I know there is a difference between college and pros, but that experience made me realize how important the OL is. Canales and Morgan get it.

This is so true. And... a QB has to LEARN to trust his oline. They can't get him smashed on 2 of every 3 drop backs, and then expect that he'll stand in the pocket on the 1 out of 3 times he isn't escaping pressure as soon as he snaps the ball. And then to step into throws when you see guys getting pushed into you? I'm not sold on Bryce. No one can say with certainty that he will be a good NFL QB. He hasn't shown that. But I do acknowledge that the chaos and lack of protection last season make it equally impossible to declare him a bust. We just don't know yet.  

11 hours ago, csx said:

That's for guys without jobs.

I suppose he'd prefer Bryce focus on a YouTube channel and getting in fights over fake youth football.

He had a job when this was recorded. No need to even address the other part. 

• Pie 1

Got to love how Cam still makes people look stupid, lol.

Yeah, no point in drafting another QB this year.  This is the Bryce Year.  If he can overcome 2023's poo show and show significant growth and improvement; then we might have found our guy!  Conversely, if he poos the bed, then we'll be set up in 2025 to draft the top-end QB.

There's plenty of pressure on Canales and Bryce to get it right.  Adding another young QB to the mix (though several are older than Bryce) will not help Bryce's development.  All eggs are in Bryce's basket for 2024.

• Beer 1

No Question!  Draft until it feels good.  Tom Brady was what?  A sixth round draft choice.

we might draft the next GOAT.  

my concern is too many people think that:  you must have the First pick in the draft to get a GOAT.  We forget that a mediocre college football player might excel in the NFL.

• Pie 1

If they have in fact hired a coach that can develop QBs then it is wasteful to not maximize that asset. I say plant another row of crops give them some sun and water and see what grows.

You'd need to keep 3 QBs at least his first season. So take a guy this year, and roster Dalton as the number two. Maybe next year Dalton would not be required. To me that is worth the roster spot. We ain’t winning anything. It is what I thought should have been happening all along anyway.

To me you have to have that franchise guy and you really don’t know where you are going to find him. If you have the skill to train them then you can keep a pipeline of potential guys flowing. You can get a couple of years in with one and get another one on board. Comparatively minimal draft investment needed Just invest the time and effort to get it going and then make it a staple of your master plan. Because you cannot have too many viable young QBs, ever. They are gold.