• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

🚨Tony Pauline: Panthers interested in CB Mike Sainristril @33

Just now, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

Whoever came up with this "dawg in him" trend needs to be taken out back and shot

Before it became a trend in recent years, I can remember guys being referred to as "Dawgs" a couple decades ago. Somebody asked the coach what he meant and he said "he's got that sick'em mentality like a dog, you can't coach that into a guy." Maybe it's just evolved over generations.

On 4/15/2024 at 6:22 PM, Bear Hands said:

Take anything with a grain of salt right now.  Just posted this in another thread:

He had that huge interception at the end of the title game.

Some fun notes:

• 2X team captain, was named team MVP for the best defense in the country. 
  • Described as a player coach and influencer, per the DB coach, he "changed the mindset of everybody on our team"
  • Former wide receiver so has the aggressive/ballhawk mentality (this kid doesn't drop INTs)
  • 6 INTs, 2 pick sixes last year, 3 picks took back for 70+ yards
  • Played 20% outside, 80% slot, had good capabilities blitzing.  5 TFL, 2 sacks
  • Only flagged for 1 PI in college (in the title game) covering Polk

Seems like he was a BIG part of that team and its leadership.  

Do we need a Nickel or a 2nd CB who can complement Horn. If he is a good Nickel maybe 3rd round.

On 4/17/2024 at 1:06 PM, electro's horse said:

I’ve mentioned in previous threads that it is completely realistic the panthers go DB at 33.

Would be stunned if they don’t take one with their first two picks. 

Wanted to bump this thread bc there is definitely a misperception with corners going on around these parts, especially a modern slot defender.  

--so here's my attempt to sell it--

The Texans, who we're all slobbering over building how we should have, started their rebuild around Stingley (3rd overall) and a certain sub-6' Baylor slot DB in Jalen Pitre (at 37) who's been awesome.

SEA has w/DROY finalist Devon Witherspoon who is rotating in and out of slot (monster year), the Lions just took Brian Branch high, CJ Gardner Johnson has been rolling the past few years... 

Most notably, Trent McDuffie is the best in the game and a big reason why KC won the SB, the taller Jalen Ramsay popularized the refined roles for a versatile slot defender role, but the crop of these guys are all 6'0 and under, playing all over the field and heavily in the box.  

They are also super important in the 2-high shell defense we run.  With lighter boxes, run support is critical.  They need to cover the middle of the field, man up against larger slot receivers and TEs, and not to mention get mixed in as a blitzer. 

Just go check out Sainristil's HUGE game saving play against OSU's 6'4 250 Cade Stover and some of his monster run stops over the season. 

It is also a critical position for Evero's defense bc this guy is communicating just like a LB and it's why I sense why Chinn wasn't quite a fit--he just didn't have the presnap mentality we needed in this regard.  You need to be a coach on the field in a Kuechly-esque sense.  I think it 10000% makes sense why we're considering Sainristil.  

Ok, table pound over.   

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

55 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Wanted to bump this thread bc there is definitely a misperception with corners going on around these parts, especially a modern slot defender.  

--so here's my attempt to sell it--

The Texans, who we're all slobbering over building how we should have, started their rebuild around Stingley (3rd overall) and a certain sub-6' Baylor slot DB in Jalen Pitre (at 37) who's been awesome.

SEA has w/DROY finalist Devon Witherspoon who is rotating in and out of slot (monster year), the Lions just took Brian Branch high, CJ Gardner Johnson has been rolling the past few years... 

Most notably, Trent McDuffie is the best in the game and a big reason why KC won the SB, Jalen Ramsay popularized the refined roles for a versatile slot defender role, but the crop of these guys are all 6'0 and under, playing al over the field and heavily in the box.  

They also because super important in the 2-high shell defense we run.  With lighter boxes, run support is critical.  They need to cover the middle of the field, man up against larger slot receivers and TEs, and not to mention get mixed in as a blitzer. 

Just go check out Sainristil's HUGE game saving play against OSU's 6'4 250 Cade Stover and some of his monster run stops over the season. 

It is also a critical position for Evero's defense bc this guy is communicating just like a LB and it's why I sense why Chinn wasn't quite a fit--he just didn't have the presnap mentality we needed in this regard.  You need to be a coach on the field in a Kuechly-esque sense.  I think it 10000% makes sense why we're considering Sainristil.  

Ok, table pound over.   

In my fever dreams we select the next James Bradberry but, your argument for a slot corner is persuasive.

Edited by bythenbrs

On 4/17/2024 at 2:06 PM, electro's horse said:

I’ve mentioned in previous threads that it is completely realistic the panthers go DB at 33.

Id like to see a combo of wr/linebacker in the 2nd but if a good corner slips that would work as well.  I just think our linebacker room is probably the worst positional group on the team at this moment

• Pie 2

20 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Id like to see a combo of wr/linebacker in the 2nd but if a good corner slips that would work as well.  I just think our linebacker room is probably the worst positional group on the team at this moment

I think it is a coin toss between LB and secondary but, I understand your sentiment.  It’s a pretty sad state of affairs.

7 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

If this is true, then I've already about to give up on Morgan.  Hopefully this is some sort of smoke screen. This would be a HORRIBLE pick at #33.

Pretty sure it's a smoke screen. I would be absolutely shocked if we don't go WR with our 1st pick.

The goal was to get Bryce some weapons and patch up the Oline. We took care of the Oline now it's about getting Bryce some legit weapons.

10 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Pretty sure it's a smoke screen. I would be absolutely shocked if we don't go WR with our 1st pick.

The goal was to get Bryce some weapons and patch up the Oline. We took care of the Oline now it's about getting Bryce some legit weapons.

It's not so much the position of CB as it has to do with the dude isn't that good.  We need a corner, but at #33 and especially for a player that's very much a work in progress (converted WR). It's beyond mind-numbing to even ponder this as a realistic possibility.

Edited by 45catfan

On 4/17/2024 at 2:06 PM, electro's horse said:

This will blow minds--they could go OL and CB, CB and LB, or OL and LB--in the second and take the WR in the third.  It all depends on who falls to them and if they trade back.  But CB is the biggest need on this team right now.  We are just focused on the offense around Bryce.  I really like the CBs who are projected to go mid second to mid third.  Good group, imo.

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I agree, but I think CB is just as bad as LB.  However, both starting LBs will be 30.  Thompson is probably gone in 2025.  In the draft, there are about 5 good to decent ILBs and they will go between early second to mid third (Wilson, Cooper, Colson, Trotter, Gray). 

Edited by MHS831