• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select Xavier Legette WR - Pick 32, Round 1

Just now, Tbe said:

This team once again got tunnel vision on one guy.

This might be my biggest issue with the trade.

It points to the same behavior that led us to drafting the fewest prospects in the league over the past 3 years.

They need to let the draft come to them and stop chasing ‘their guys’.

Well said.   We literally told him he was our pick

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, KSpan said:

TMJ really didn't though. He was the third receiver on that stellar group and has 1600 yds in 3 years; Mingo's one year was more yards than TMJ's best year. TMJ being a stupid pick as well doesn't make Mingo better and Carolina just spent another high pick on another 1-year wonder college WR, though XL's peak appears much higher than those 2.

We aren't really on a different page here. I'm just expecting nothing NFL-worthy from Mingo.

He had 23 touchdowns in 2 seasons. Most of us assumed TMJ would be a major red zone threat.

At the end of the day he seems to have fallen into the Dwayne Jarrett category. He just doesn't want it.

Maybe Mingo could end up the same. Too early to call.

Wayyyyyyy too early to call to throw our 1st round pick this year into the same mixed bag with them.

Let's get him to camp.

• Pie 3

7 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I think its sadly humorous how some Huddlers are already calling him a bust (in so many words).  Unreal. 

Cam Newton was essentially a one year wonder SEC player and we took him #1 overall. 

I mean, I get he had a season at junior college.  But no one has ever factored that before for other players as meaning that much. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That's sort of been the story of us recently. Shooting for the moon and falling into the ocean instead. 

The trade up was just stupid. But, we will see if the player is worthwhile. 

Given our propensity to pick WR's that don't contribute I'm not hopeful. I've been  conditioned to believe that.  The dreaded words 'developmental high prospect' are worrisome.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, frankw said:

At the end of the day he seems to have fallen into the Dwayne Jarrett category. He just doesn't want it. (or the Henderson category--maybe this is why Morgan specifically mentions DAWGs. )

Maybe Mingo could end up the same. Too early to call.  He had an average year for a rookie WR on a very subpar team.  Good point.

Wayyyyyyy too early to call to throw our 1st round pick this year into the same mixed bag with them. YUP.

Let's get him to camp.

I am not sure how they will use Legette.  First, people are disregarding the new KO rules and how he might play out on special teams.  Secondly, he is known for contested catches and crossing routes--I see him in motion quite a bit, based on that skill set. 

• Beer 1

as Leggette "fan"....the only negative I think really applies to the pick outside of maybe ideally drafting him slightly later is Bryce Young is our QB.  And I think Leggette pairs better with a big arm that gambles.  Not sure Bryce is really the type thrower that can get the most out of Leggette. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

as Leggette "fan"....the only negative I think really applies to the pick outside of maybe ideally drafting him slightly later is Bryce Young is our QB.  And I think Leggette pairs better with a big arm that gambles.  Not sure Bryce is really the type thrower that can get the most out of Leggette. 

Young has absolutely demonstrated the ability to drive the ball down the field when the protection is there. The hashmarks dont expand at the pro level.

i actually wonder if we’ll see Leggette used more as a weapon underneath though while he develops while Johnson is used to stretch the intermediate zone. I know he had lots of big shots at SC but I think his biggest strength is probably with the ball in his hand. 

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, frankw said:

He had 23 touchdowns in 2 seasons. Most of us assumed TMJ would be a major red zone threat.

At the end of the day he seems to have fallen into the Dwayne Jarrett category. He just doesn't want it.

Maybe Mingo could end up the same. Too early to call.

Wayyyyyyy too early to call to throw our 1st round pick this year into the same mixed bag with them.

Let's get him to camp.

It's perfectly fine to consider their college performances all together - they're all young players who showed varying strengths in limited years/roles. How does that translate to the NFL? Dunno, but there are absolutely similarities that can be discussed. We only know for sure that TMJ is not NFL material and Mingo did not look good last year, not individually or in the context of the terrible offense.

With respect to XL, as I said before I don't follow college football so have no real opinion, but just looking at stats alone he did absolutely nothing as a receiver for 4 years and then boomed. That could indicate sudden development or it could indicate flash in the pan. No disagreement that only time will tell. 

Edited by KSpan
  • Beer 1

Here is a point that few seem to value.  The coaching staff last season, for the most part, was the "dream team" of sorts, a bunch of older guys resting on their laurels.  What happens when you reach that point is you start leaning on your experience and you want to stay on the horse that brung you-less willing to accept newfangled concepts or adapt with the changing dynamics of the league.  With the exception of Evero, we were dinosaurs.

Canales has a young staff and he preaches coaching.  Even with Andy Dalton, the first day was going through basic QB mechanics.  He said he does not want to see coaches standing watching drills with their arms folded, meaning that he wants them to be teaching during the drills.  Bryce commented about Corbett--"Even on IR, he asks more questions than anyone else."  In the past, our players have not developed after drafting them, so I get the cynicism.  However, I think this is a new day, based on these tea leaves.  Positivity, teaching, learning--the culture has been toxic and many of us are poisoned with negativity. 

The draft is mining for talent--and you draft for 4-5 years.  We talk about "developmental" and "upside" but if the player is not up to your high level of standards, you want to bury him before day 1.  Part of being around a toxic culture. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

I dont compare him to Mingo besides measurables.   Hes a little older and not as tall but I compare him more to Shenault as far as player type.

That is mostly wrong and let me tell you why. Shenault is no where in the vicinity as far as playing speed. He doesn't have near the acceleration. But...the main reason why they are different is that Shenault has poor ball tracking skills, while X has exceptional ball tracking skills, which consequently allows him to win those 50-50 balls. It also means that X is a legitimate threat down field, but Shenault is relegated to plays within five yards of the line of scrimmage. So X will be able to do what Shenault can, but Shenault can't do what X can. 

• Beer 1

I would have preferred more of a technically strong WR, but they were obviously in love with the guy.  I don't hate the move up 1 slot, as it costs almost nothing.  The 5th year option is kind of whatever though.  It could end up being useful, but there's a good chance its not.

If Legette is a star, he's going to be extended before that 5 year.  And if he's a bust, he isn't gonna make it that long.

• Beer 3