• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers keep making the same mistakes under new GM.

hepcat

I still cannot figure out what kind of team the Panthers are trying to build, and frankly I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t either. 

But one thing is clear - regardless of who is in charge, the Panthers will continue to bypass drafting starting caliber centers in favor of project WRs. After rightfully cutting the struggling Bradley Bozeman, center was a glaring need coming into the draft. The team claims to be converting former guard Austin Corbett to center, who is coming off two consecutive season ending knee injuries. Corbett has experience at center, and in Madden Franchise Mode this would be a move that makes sense. But going into a critical season for the development of second year QB Bryce Young, drafting a center to grow with seemed like the prudent decision. 

The selection of WR in Xavier Legette over Center prospects Jackson Powers-Johnson and Zack Frazier, means 4th year receiver Terrace Marshall Jr is likely on borrowed time and will be labeled another Panthers WR draft bust. It also signals that second year WR Jonathan Mingo could be heading that direction as well. Both receivers were drafted in favor of starting caliber centers in their respective drafts.

In 2021, Terrace Marshall was selected instead of Creed Humphrey (starting C for the Chiefs) and Josh Myers (starting C for the Packers), who were selected 3 and 4 picks after the Panthers picked Marshall.

In 2023, the Panthers picked Mingo ahead of Joe Tippman (starting C for the Jets), and John Michael Schmitz (starting C for the Giants). 

Legette could become the next Deebo Samuel and make Panthers fans forget about the players they passed on to draft him. But history is not on the Panthers side, who continue to demonstrate the definition of insanity of doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. 

And I still have no idea what kind of team they are trying to build. 

• Pie 9
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 9

4 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I still cannot figure out what kind of team the Panthers are trying to build, and frankly I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t either. 

But one thing is clear - regardless of who is in charge, the Panthers will continue to bypass drafting starting caliber centers in favor of project WRs. After rightfully cutting the struggling Bradley Bozeman, center was a glaring need coming into the draft. The team claims to be converting former guard Austin Corbett to center, who is coming off two consecutive season ending knee injuries. Corbett has experience at center, and in Madden Franchise Mode this would be a move that makes sense. But going into a critical season for the development of second year QB Bryce Young, drafting a center to grow with seemed like the prudent decision. 

The selection of WR in Xavier Legette over Center prospects Jackson Powers-Johnson and Zack Frazier, means 4th year receiver Terrace Marshall Jr is likely on borrowed time and will be labeled another Panthers WR draft bust. It also signals that second year WR Jonathan Mingo could be heading that direction as well. Both receivers were drafted in favor of starting caliber centers in their respective drafts.

In 2021, Terrace Marshall was selected instead of Creed Humphrey (starting C for the Chiefs) and Josh Myers (starting C for the Packers), who were selected 3 and 4 picks after the Panthers picked Marshall.

In 2023, the Panthers picked Mingo ahead of Joe Tippman (starting C for the Jets), and John Michael Schmitz (starting C for the Giants). 

Legette could become the next Deebo Samuel and make Panthers fans forget about the players they passed on to draft him. But history is not on the Panthers side, who continue to demonstrate the definition of insanity of doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. 

And I still have no idea what kind of team they are trying to build. 

We are rebuilding and not trying to win it all this year.  Young now have plenty of tools to succeed and if he fails, we will likely draft new QB next year.  I think we are on two year plan.  Next year we will be a more complete team with or without Young.

• Pie 5
  • Flames 1

Mingo is a big slot and XL is a X WR. Not really the same style player. Athletically they have similar measurements but they play the game pretty differently. I think XL and DJ complement each other well and should be our outside WRs. Mingo will rotate with AT in the slot and hopefully take over full time next year. 

OG to C doesn’t seem to be as crazy of a move as people think. We have Corbett, BC, and then Mays there. Not the best but the first 2 are solid OGs when healthy and pretty smart players. I would have liked to draft one but we couldn’t fix everything on one offseason. CB and Edge could have used some real depth, but I think we sign Gilly now to fix one of those temporarily. 

Oh a bright note, both XL and Sanders had some of the best catch ratings in 10 plus yards down the field.

• Pie 6

Some more food for thought. Did Fitt ever come out of a draft with a high future pick like Dan just did with his 2nd in 25? That paired with drafted players like XL, Wallace, and Brooks (with his energy) might take a moment to peak but offer higher ceilings makes me think Dan knows this is a process that takes several years to address. There is no quick fix like Fitt tried with trading away picks to try to win now vs later. These things make it appear Dan has told Tepper they are going to do things the right way like he did in Buffalo and it will take a few years to see the returns fully. It worked out well for Dan and Beane in Buffalo. 

• Pie 1

Not finding a center in the draft who would be a backup at best is no big deal. There are several free agents out there still available plus all the guys who will get cut between now and the season start.  I am excited we finally have drafted a top 5 tight end and got the best running back in the draft. Much bigger news and potential starters versus a rookie depth center.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I do miss the days of the constant Ryan Kalil.  What a joy that way.

Would it be nice to draft a 10 year center?  A point of contention for drafting an early center is that the average draft position was between 2 and 5.  I don't recall where I saw or heard it, but it seemed to come up a lot.  So take that with a mountain of salt.

That being said, as fans we do not have all the information.  Dan and Dave have all the information.  They did the interviews, have looked at all the tape, and have talked to their guys.  So they have a TON more information than we do.  

Also, it's not our job.  We are passionate about our team, but we're fans.  These guys have to make decisions that will affect their lives, their family's lives, and their reputations.  A fan messed up a mock draft, so what?  When a GM bungles a draft, that could be it for them.  So they are going to be doing the best they can at building a team because that leads them to more success, money and security.

I'll say this: let's be patient.  I know it's hard after years of sucking.  Watching other teams find success in a quick turnaround has been frustrating.  Having "your draft" crushes do well while our picks struggle sucks.  Then again, if drafting was easy then why didn't Mike Mayock last as a GM since he was a TV expert?

The reality is that when good prospects go to good teams, they look good.  When good prospects go to dumpster fires, then they look like poo.  There are VERY few players who can truly change the outlook of a team, like Cam did.  Most need help and support from strong organizations with good coaching.

Let's see what happens.  We have to be patient.  

• Pie 4

47 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Mingo is a big slot and XL is a X WR. Not really the same style player. Athletically they have similar measurements but they play the game pretty differently. I think XL and DJ complement each other well and should be our outside WRs. Mingo will rotate with AT in the slot and hopefully take over full time next year. 

OG to C doesn’t seem to be as crazy of a move as people think. We have Corbett, BC, and then Mays there. Not the best but the first 2 are solid OGs when healthy and pretty smart players. I would have liked to draft one but we couldn’t fix everything on one offseason. CB and Edge could have used some real depth, but I think we sign Gilly now to fix one of those temporarily. 

Oh a bright note, both XL and Sanders had some of the best catch ratings in 10 plus yards down the field.

If you think Mingo is gonna take AT off the field in the slot then I have a beach house to sell you in Idaho 

Although my Panthers enthusiasm is near an all time low, I actually think the draft (and FA) shows a pretty clear team direction related to power running and quick passing.  I would have liked a C too, and I don't love XL, but it's very clear that they really believe in him and our trades for once look good overall...

Dunno, if not for last year and who we still have at QB I think I'd be pretty pumped about this off-season.