• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Strickland gives synopsis on Gman at NFL Annual Meeting, and some of my thoughts

top dawg

Holy Jeebus, the fact that we actually RETAINED our own guys this off-season was a step up in class over last year. We had more money to work with so we were able to extend Olsen, bring back the DT rotation, bring back our #2 tight end, we were still able to bring in a guy to start at LT who is an upgrade over bell, and we have been able to address the return game, ST, and speed receiver... and we STILL have cash leftover for more FA's or rolling over to next year to extend Cam...

At this point last year we released Captain, Mitchell, literally all our receivers who ever caught a pass from Cam, and then literally half our line retired...

But because we didn't bring in a decently big name to sign this offseason, Gettleman "lied to us" about stepping up in class. He didn't lie, your expectations were just too high. 

A lot of people will read the OP was a bitching and crying about Gettleman has a whole instead of his word choice. While I don't agree with being upset at his word choice I understand where you are coming from.

And that's really all I was looking for. I am not so much as upset as I am just trying to express a little frustration at what I perceive as a lack of understanding and/or a speed bump in communication.  I may be the only one that feels this way, and it may be all me.  But just in case I'm not, at least others who were thinking along the same lines will think to temper their expectations even further next year.

That being said, I would be excited to have Jennings too, much like most of the people in the Huddle (even the ones who intimate that they fully expected the move ever since Jennings was cut). 

Actually I did. I was looking for something new. Something to get a little excited over, but that''s not really the point. If Gettleman had said that we may try to make a signing or two to fill some basic needs, but specifically concentrating on re-signing or extending some of our own guys, then I wouldn't have had even the slightest bit of expectations. That was the whole point.

We never had a whole lot of money, but we did have a little to spend here and there. You saw all the tiered lists of WRs just like i did, so you should at least have some idea of the names that were flying around as possibilities. You should have also seen the relatively modest money that would have had to be doled out also. But the names don't even really matter at this point, because the point is is that if G-man had worded things a little differently, then the writers wouldn't have even made lists in reference to whom we may have targeted and expectations would have been held in check accordingly.

I agree with this 100%, Gman made a huge mistake with his step up in class comments, especially when he was so deliberate in saying we would go from dollar tree to Target this year, big mistake and now he is playing defense and damage control in having to explain and clarify. He should have stuck with the same talking points "We are still cap challenged, I will continue to employ the same strategy I have employed the last two years that won us back to back NFC south titles." How hard would that have been? But instead he went off in this talk about dollar tree, target and stepping up in class, big mistake.

Holy Jeebus, the fact that we actually RETAINED our own guys this off-season was a step up in class over last year. We had more money to work with so we were able to extend Olsen, bring back the DT rotation, bring back our #2 tight end, we were still able to bring in a guy to start at LT who is an upgrade over bell, and we have been able to address the return game, ST, and speed receiver... and we STILL have cash leftover for more FA's or rolling over to next year to extend Cam...

At this point last year we released Captain, Mitchell, literally all our receivers who ever caught a pass from Cam, and then literally half our line retired...

But because we didn't bring in a decently big name to sign this offseason, Gettleman "lied to us" about stepping up in class. He didn't lie, your expectations were just too high. 

"Lie" is such an inappropriate and harsh word for this situation. 

Anyway, I've had my therapy for the night.  I am signing out and going to bed.

Have a good day, Cracka and the rest of the Huddle.

And Ive mentioned this before but why does the love run so deep for Ed Dickson around here?! I keep hearing things how awesome it was we retained our "no 2 TE Ed Dickson!" Sure he showed flashes here and there but he's not someone I could honestly say would doom our season if we lost him

I agree with this 100%, Gman made a huge mistake with his step up in class comments, especially when he was so deliberate in saying we would go from dollar tree to Target this year, big mistake and now he is playing defense and damage control in having to explain and clarify.

There ya go, top dawg... PanthersU has your back.

Feel better now? :P

So are undies getting twisted over word choice?  Really?  This is football, not public speaking.

We kept key contributors from last year, which is what we didn't do last year letting Ginn, Michell and Munerlyn walk.  That's a step up.  I am going to stick to the idea that over spending for flashy FAs is a terrible risk.  You keep the guys who play well in your system, and you add guys who can play well in your system.  I'd much rather save the money for our guys who perform well.  Does anyone want to let KK Short go?  Or do we save the money and keep the band together while it works?

If Cobb went to somewhere else, and was asked to take on #1 responsibilities, would he be as successful?  Ask Eric Decker about that.  Would it have made sense to pay $10 million a year for a guy who plays well in THEIR system, but not ours?  Football is a true team sport, and that guys need to be a better fit on a team as opposed to something like the NBA where it's easier for a guy to take his super star talents across team lines (OK...Lance Stephenson isn't the best example...).

The proof is in the pudding on this one.  If Cam is upright more, we win more games, and move further in the playoffs, is that OK with everyone?

I know a lot of guys are freaking out about the moves (or lack there of), but honestly, ask yourself, are we better now than we were at this point last season?  The answer is an emphatic yes, we have tentative answers at RT, and both Guard spots, a #1 receiver, and 2 good Corners, and at this point last year, we didn't have any of that, add to that Bell is out at LT and we have a legitimate deep threat and kick returner (all filled out by a single contract).  I would love for us to have a more legitimate #2 and some O-line depth, but honestly, we're not as bad off as some would have us think.  Selfishly I want us to be a little more active just because I want more pertinent discussion for the panthers and not just draft talk and what if threads.  I think we will make a few more signings but they may be after the draft when we will have a more legitimate idea of where our depth issues are, Remember, as of right now, we have 9 players being brought in as rookies, and if we want to hold onto some of the rookie talent, we need room on the roster for said rookies, or else we might lose some of these guys when we try to move them to the practice squad.

Or you could be Detroit have all 4 of your DTs become free agents and lose most of them: Suh, Fairley.

Compared to last season this IS a step up in class as we have seen Ginn have a decent contribution as a WR his first run with the Panthers.

Ginn as the end round guy instead of Cotchery makes a heck of a difference.

Dwan may be the Huddles most expendable player but he makes his plays count when he is in there and would be a big loss to replace him for equal dollars.

Dwan is a steal..Detroit would kill to have a Dwan Edwards in there now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived