• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SB Nation does not have a clue

Jmac

I'm about sick and tired of these writers who get paid to write articles on teams they know absolutely nothing about. This guy probably thinks Gettleman was GM when we drafted Newton.

That's why I prefer to read articles and threads from here and blackandblue review.

Other than Barner and Kugbila...his drafts have been pretty damn solid

There is more to a draft, than just drafting players. The quantity as well as the quality of the players count. Gettleman has missed on some quality, and has missed on a lot when it comes to quantity.

Based on production and starts by a drafted player the Panthers rank 20th with a 48 point value on their picks over the 2013 and 2014 drafts.

The top team is Green Bay with a 91 point value for their picks. Nearly doubling the Panthers draft pick production.

Puts it into perspective using measurable values instead of opinion.

For example, no matter how you subjectively view AJ Klein or Kony Ealy they have not started games or produced near as much as other teams draft picks over the same time. You can talk someone up all you want, but until they produce at the same level as other players they will not carry the same value as those players who are producing.

Think of it as return on investment to date.

So if by solid you are stating he has done an average/mediocre job in the draft. I agree. Other GMs have had strong and good drafts - better than solid.

There is more to a draft, than just drafting players. The quantity as well as the quality of the players count. Gettleman has missed on some quality, and has missed on a lot when it comes to quantity.

Based on production and starts by a drafted player the Panthers rank 20th with a 48 point value on their picks over the 2013 and 2014 drafts.

The top team is Green Bay with a 91 point value for their picks. Nearly doubling the Panthers draft pick production.

For example, no matter how you subjectively view AJ Klein or Kony Ealy they have not started games or produced near as much as other teams draft picks over the same time. You can talk someone up all you want, but until they produce at the same level as other players they will not carry the same value as those players who are producing.

So if by solid you are stating he has done an average/mediocre job in the draft. I agree. Other GMs have had strong and good drafts - better than solid.

I dont even know where to begin with this.... So because Kony Ealy didn't start a lot of games last season, he's a mediocre pick? I'd rather him learn the position and grow into it than just throw him out there in the first game.

Let's also not forget that Ron can be a bit stubborn with pulling veteran players and inserting rookies into their positions. 

so we are evaluating drafts after one season now?

I dont even know where to begin with this.... So because Kony Ealy didn't start a lot of games last season, he's a mediocre pick? I'd rather him learn the position and grow into it than just throw him out there in the first game.

Let's also not forget that Ron can be a bit stubborn with pulling veteran players and inserting rookies into their positions.

Don't bother beginning. He's one of the 'whine about everything' crowd.

When a guy starts off with a goofy line like "there's more to the draft than just drafting players", it's a pretty solid clue that there's nothing to be gained by trying to explain anything for him.

Archived