• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Most secure career choices?

panther4life

With the digital age, the world is changing and many jobs are being phased out but how many will be safe forever and be able to whether this storm?

This thread is kind of knee jerk reaction to the ESPN layoff's but countless people are affected every day by this kind of thing. I've never been laid off by a big corporation (always been in the car biz for past decade) but have been let go because of politics and other dumb poo on a couple of occasions. Granted if you're good in the car biz and can stomach staying in it, seems theres always a job for you somewhere.

Recently I saw HHGREGG falter and are now closing all of their stores. Sports Authority did the same in recent years. I imagine Best Buy isn't fair behind and these are just the first examples of box stores that come to mind. Many more circumstances of other business's going under or having to lay off tons of people. 

Also, I never understood how Bill Voth was making money via BBR and he obviously wasn't making enough to continue.

Any general thoughts regarding the topic?

15 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Plumbing and similar trades seem to be fairly reliable. A skilled plumber makes a lot of money, and there is little chance of being replaced by automation.  

If I knew then what I know now I would have went to CPCC and studied a trade like plumbing or electrical and a business associates degree.  Would have ended up with the same or more money, and a more satisfying career. Those jobs may evolve but they are not going away anytime soon.  

17 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Plumbing and similar trades seem to be fairly reliable. A skilled plumber makes a lot of money, and there is little chance of being replaced by automation.  

Came to post something similar.

Welding, Electrical, Plumbing, Construction, HVAC, etc....aren't going anywhere.  They are tough, hard jobs, that pay well if you own the company.

Toughest part is finding reliable help.

On 4/26/2017 at 1:33 PM, panther4life said:

With the digital age, the world is changing and many jobs are being phased out but how many will be safe forever and be able to whether this storm?

This thread is kind of knee jerk reaction to the ESPN layoff's but countless people are affected every day by this kind of thing. I've never been laid off by a big corporation (always been in the car biz for past decade) but have been let go because of politics and other dumb poo on a couple of occasions. Granted if you're good in the car biz and can stomach staying in it, seems theres always a job for you somewhere.

Recently I saw HHGREGG falter and are now closing all of their stores. Sports Authority did the same in recent years. I imagine Best Buy isn't fair behind and these are just the first examples of box stores that come to mind. Many more circumstances of other business's going under or having to lay off tons of people. 

Also, I never understood how Bill Voth was making money via BBR and he obviously wasn't making enough to continue.

Any general thoughts regarding the topic?

If I was HS or college age I would be looking at healthcare field.  Those baby boomers will be getting old soon.  Ways to get involved in many ways

+1 on learning a trade like plumbing or electrical, especially if you're a go-getter and get a business degree and run your own show.

Public school teacher is pretty secure as well. If you're an average teacher or better, you can stick around forever. Lots of places are just looking for warm bodies at this point.

Archived