• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darryl Williams to undergo surgery

CarolinaSunday

Sucks for both of them, hope they both come back strong.

Think there's a chance that the Panthers will go ahead and re-sign Williams? The injuries don't sound career threatening, he's a really good young player. Get him at a discount and he still gets the  big payday? Easy enough to write a contract the opposite of M Kalil's, that has an out after 2-3 years if he never recovers from his injuries.

newton_david.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

David NewtonESPN Staff Writer 

Look for Amini Silatolu to get the first crack at replacing right tackle Daryl Williams, who will undergo knee surgery to repair damage suffered in the fourth quarter of Sunday's opener. Silatolu replaced Williams in the win against Dallas. Recently acquired Corey Robinson also could get a look there, but expect the Panthers to be in the market for a tackle. Rookie Ian Thomas will be first up to replace Greg Olsen, who fractured his right foot again and will be evaluated on a monthly basis. With Chris Manhertz the only other TE on the roster the team likely will sign a third player for that position.

•  
  •  
  •  
icon-espn-e-@2x.png
2h

This post will piss people off

I love Greg Olsen but last year’s foot injury was stress related not collision related, and that, is not a good sign and yet, he was extended 

the panthers keep damaged goods too long and I know that sounds cold but NE does not and they have what 5 or 6 rings 

Davis,Kalil, Olsen. Should not have been retained but they were, and here we are. 

Love Davis too but it was clear two years ago that he had lost a step 

seems like the Panthers are more than happy to give their players a farewell tour and you cant win championships that as they year goes on, they only wear down more 

10 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

I love Greg Olsen but last year’s foot injury was stress related not collision related, and that, is not a good sign and yet, he was extended 

the panthers keep damaged goods too long and I know that sounds cold but NE does not and they have what 5 or 6 rings 

Davis,Kalil, Olsen. Should not have been retained but they were, and here we are. 

seems like the Panthers are more than happy to give their players a farewell tour and you cant win championships that as they year goes on, they only wear down more 

This won't piss people off, because a lot of us were saying to move on from Olsen and TD last year. But, of course Hurney would rather extend aging vets than spend that money on areas of need.

But yeah, I agree with you 100%. You have to know when to move on from aging players. Hopefully this "family" atmosphere where we overpay vets comes to an end now that Richardson is gone.

2 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

The problem is that the Panthers have, in the past, used contract extensions as rewards for prior service. Our "family" atmosphere was behind that thinking.

Jake Delhomme's ridiculous final extension is probably the most grievous example. Letting Ryan Kalil play out his final year here is likely another case where sentiment trumped practicality. Jury's still out on that one.

With successful teams, the value of contracts is supposed to be determined by what you will do more so than what you have done. That's why teams like the Steelers, the Patriots and many others have let beloved veterans go.

Fans may hate it, but more often than not it's the smart move.

2 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

I can't prove it, but that signing had all of the hallmarks of being from a Richardson directive. They should have let his contract play out and see how he recovers from the injury. Richardson knew he was selling the team and gave a couple parting gifts to favored players.

5 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Not it won't and i'll do you one better. We should still have Gettleman as GM and Olsen/Davis would likely be gone and Shaq would be doing his thing and we'd likely have another TE to help replace Olsen and that would leave us with cash to do other things with.

Hurney, while not being a giant turd like he usually is, still isn't even an average GM he's a bad GM trying to prove he can actually do some things that aren't dumpster worthy and his latest moves are obviously still being evaluated.

Archived