• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Updated Cap Moving Forward & Free Agent Priorities....

SetfreexX

Irvin and McCoy are gone. Those guys are chasing rings now and without even the vet stars from this team hanging around, they have no reason to be here.

Tre might stay, but we'd have to be willing to pay.

JB, I would like to keep, but he will be the most expensive. Not sure how it plays out, but could see us franchise tagging him to get through this year and re-assess next year.

Butler is gone. His character continues to take hits, he only played well in his contract year, and I think the new staff just lets him walk and maybe hopes for a comp pick if someone bets big on him.

Poe- not sure, we might just keep him for the remaining year since there is so much up in the air at the position. But, if we got more solid somehow, I could see him being cut (not sure about how long we have to decide on the option, so I'm leaning towards him staying).

Wright- new coaches probably dump him. He's not their guy and his spot is one they'll want to fill with a flyer of their choosing. I like him though, and wouldn't mind him staying here. He fits well with Curtis and DJ.

Have to assume Olsen retires, but you never know. He seems to have a very strong itch to play and win here, so maybe he sees how it plays out-- most likely his decision hinges on Cam. With the way things have played out so far, he could be a surprise for some reason.

I don't agree with bringing back Addison. It's time to see what Burns can do full-time and bringing in younger players. Mario get sacks in garbage time or when we are piling on an opponent like when we sacked Kyler Murray 7 times and Mario had about 3 sacks. When we need a play to be made, I rarely see Mario step up. McCoy is too old and not productive enough to command the amount of money he will probably ask for. The only players on that list I would bring back are Boston, Bradberry, and Butler. 

We have a boatload of FAs.  Butler, Bradberry, McCoy, Irvin, Van Roten, Boston, Addison.  The only guys I'd consider bringing back are Bradberry and maybe Boston. The rest I'd want to see converted to comp draft picks, which means I'm not active in the FA market.  We might get a couple of 3's and a 4 when its all said and done.  Those can be key pieces in a rebuild that lasts 3-4 years - especially now that comp picks can be traded. 

We may not have the worst team in the league next year so if we are serious about getting a QB in the 2021 draft, we will probably need the additional draft capital to move up for our guy.

33 minutes ago, Rags said:

Thank you for this thread.

I know some posters at here that would only go harder on the fug HURNEY train if it happened, but this would allow us to sign Bradberry without killing ourselves, and I think it'd be worth it if we think he can continue trending up. 

Every other priority FA (Save Tre, wouldn't mind keeping him around) can biggity bounce. I think it'd be best for both parties.

Anyone know if we can move on from Reid safely this season?

I am torn on Reid. He appears to be a pretty good player and also a great leadership guy to have in the locker room which is a heightened need when you look to leaders on defense. I think it would be good to keep him around along with Boston.  If you resign Bradberry you have a solid core of DBs and can focus on space eaters on the DL.  I would look to retool both lines and build out from there.  Just my .02.

potentially Boston and Irvin considering the figures they played at during the 2019 season, doubt any of them raised their price too much. 

Boston has signed last minute for three straight years because he and his agent(s) have severely over-priced his services.  I doubt that trend will end, he will want to get paid.  I'm ok with him signing a fat skins contract myself.  He hits well but seems to lose his man pretty consistently when isolated in coverage.

Does Irvin fit in the new defensive scheme?  His price may be more reasonable but definitely not a priority.

This was a historically bad defense with Luke Kuechly playing.  We won't lose much by replacing most of it.

42 minutes ago, Rags said:

Thank you for this thread.

I know some posters at here that would only go harder on the fug HURNEY train if it happened, but this would allow us to sign Bradberry without killing ourselves, and I think it'd be worth it if we think he can continue trending up. 

Every other priority FA (Save Tre, wouldn't mind keeping him around) can biggity bounce. I think it'd be best for both parties.

Anyone know if we can move on from Reid safely this season?

Reid just signed 3 year extension last year and played well.  Why would we want to move on?

15 minutes ago, RenoCarolina said:

Boston has signed last minute for three straight years because he and his agent(s) have severely over-priced his services.  I doubt that trend will end, he will want to get paid.  I'm ok with him signing a fat skins contract myself.  He hits well but seems to lose his man pretty consistently when isolated in coverage.

Does Irvin fit in the new defensive scheme?  His price may be more reasonable but definitely not a priority.

This was a historically bad defense with Luke Kuechly playing.  We won't lose much by replacing most of it.

9 minutes ago, RenoCarolina said:

Reid just signed 3 year extension last year and played well.  Why would we want to move on?

He filled up the box sheet with Tackles, but he was a liability almost everywhere else. 

The further away from the LoS he gets, the worse he plays. Which...isn't really a trait you want in your safety. 

16 minutes ago, countryboi said:

I think you take the best Tackle available in the draft and move Daley inside. Andrew Thomas or Jedrick Wills 

We traded up for Greg Little and his rookie campaign was marred by injury, interior OL is a bigger priority at the moment in my opinion. That can be addressed consistently well in most cases in the middle rounds. 

Give me impact players at the top of the draft, as it stands -- Simmons, or Brown -- we have the ability to bring back a good portion of the DL, so Simmons is the common sense choice as it currently stands, re-signings / free agency will provide more detail on the plan moving forward. 

1 hour ago, SetfreexX said:

As far as our potential priority free agents go, I think you replace Addison's money by paying Bradberry, then look to retain Irvin, Boston, and McCoy as their salaries are more modest with Burns taking over the starting role replacing Addison.

Going on 33 I just can't see paying Mario top tier money, he had 9.5 sacks on the season as a full time starter, however Brian Burns had 7.5 in limited snaps while we wasted his talents as a gunner on ST's.

Haynes, and Miller step into the immediate reserve roles in this scenario with a potential Day 2/3 pick as additional depth. We need to continue to add speed / youth to the defense extending a 33 year old is not the way. 

I like Mario, and his is a great football story, but I gotta agree with you on this. 32 is getting a little long in the tooth for a DE. I hope we can sign him on the cheap.

Archived