• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade for Sam Darnold this offseason?

gorillamilitia13

1 hour ago, gorillamilitia13 said:

This is all just crazy speculation, even though I am probably still going to get flamed for this. 

Admittedly I was a big Teddy hater at first, but I love the energy and passion that he's brought to the Panthers. That being said, I still think he's more of a bridge QB until we find our franchise guy (kind of like Alex Smith). With the Jets steam rolling towards that first pick, they will likely trade Darnold and draft Trevor Lawrence (unless Trevor refuses to play for them, and if he does, could you blame him?). 

Again, I'm just trying to start a conversation. How would y'all feel if we traded for Darnold? I would be excited, he's in jail right now with the Jets but I think he can still be great based off things that I've seen from him.

Is the flame a bad thing?? I think I've been using it wrong.

It's hard for me to have an opinion considering it the Jets, but I think think that there are teams that may be more willing than us to give up an early pick. If the staff thinks he's the guy, why the heck not? he'd be cheap, contract wise.

If the Jets move on from him I'd bring him in as competition for Teddy IF we don't grab a QB next year. The kid has all the talent, he can make all the throws and I've seen him play really good football. Moving defenders with his eyes and climbing in the pocket. Its just inconsistent. He was ruined by Gase, a terrible Oline and no offensive weapons. He just wasn't a Cam Newton where he can just put the entire offense on his back and make it work, there are only like 4 of those guys in the league anyways.Look at Tannenhill...and Darnold I think has a higher ceiling.

But that's all about bringing him in for a chance in the exact right circumstances.

He would not be the first young QB ruined by bad coaching or an awful offensive scheme in his first few years that got him killed.  The question is whether he can recover, because many never do. 

If you are bringing him in, I don't think it is to compete with Bridgewater.  I think the immediate question is whether he is better than Grier or Walker.  If so, what happens after that, happens. 

But bringing in a shell-shocked, badly coached young QB and expecting him to compete for the #1 job without a lot of "deprogramming" is a tall order.  At this point, he is a project.  He could be an easy project, or an impossible project, but you have to figure he is a project.

3 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I am having a hard time thinking of a 1st round QB that failed with his first team and succeed.  (Steve Young and Brett Favre) but both of them never started from their original teams. 

Granted the NYJ are a mess but IMO he's probably just another average QB. 

Favre was a 2nd round pick

I could see an argument that Ryan Tannehill wasn't great with Miami but looks a lot better in Nashville. But I still wouldn't touch Darnold.

Here is a thread from last month about the same topic, perhaps a mod could merge these.

https://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/164827-sam-darnold/?tab=comments#comment-5249118

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

So far, it seems like this staff is pretty adept at identifying talent. If they want Darnold, go get him. Tannehill looks like an MVP candidate after getting away from Gase. 

Signs were there last season for Tannehill if you looked carefully.  Never underestimate the power of bad coaching to suppress actual talent.

1 minute ago, BrianS said:

Signs were there last season for Tannehill if you looked carefully.  Never underestimate the power of bad coaching to suppress actual talent.

Agreed. But last year Tannehill had already gotten away from Gase. Arthur Smith is just taking him to a whole new level. They basically won with a dominant D and a run first, run second, pass as a last resort type of offense last year. This year they're a legit elite offense.

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

I predict Laurence will refuse to play for them.

I kind of doubt that.  If he is just not god-awful in NY he will make more money in endorsements in his first 4 years than he will on his rookie deal.  NY is really the only place he can do that.  Now if he wins the MVP in year 3 he can do that anywhere but he can still be bad and do that in NY.

Archived