• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CRAZY STAT

SmittysLawnGuy

My opinion:  You need a qb who can sustain drives, protect the ball, and keep the other team's offense off the field while wearing out the defense.  Big plays every third or fourth drive will make you a star on ESPN, but three and outs are devastating to the defense.  Most games are won through ball control and clock management, considering most NFL games are decided by 1 score.  While a 30-yard pass looks good on TV, dinking and dunking is what wins games.  Body blows over haymakers, in other words.  A good QB keeps his defense fresh through the fourth quarter and has his team in position to win. If your QB is throwing deep or having to run the ball 10 times a game, it is probably not a recipe for long-term, consistent success.  It is fool's gold.

5 minutes ago, t96 said:

In 2011 Cam looked elite at times, and had sustained elite play at times too with some poor play mixed in as well. In 2015 Cam was very consistent and dominated as a passer the entire second half of the season after being consistently solid in the first half. In 2020 Cam has had no sustained play at a level better than average at any point in this season. It's been a mix of terrible and average. Sure, he's had a couple really nice throws, but they are one-offs and not very often for a starting QB in the NFL. His best moments right now are still absolutely nothing compared to when he was in his prime here. It's clear as day to anyone watching him play and in the box scores. 4 passing touchdowns in 9 starts is absolutely putrid. He's 29th in the league in passing yards per game. Receivers aren't good but they've been open at times and even with bad receivers an NFL starting QB should throw more than a touchdown per game. He's not even throwing 0.5 TDs/game. And you can knock the weapons but they still have a top OL which makes up for that quite a bit. There's no way to spin that Cam has been anything but a huge weakness for the Patriots. It's a shame but his body has broken down and he isn't good enough in the non-physical aspects any more to make up for it. 

You can look up the stats if you'd like, the pats do have an above average defense despite the opt outs (really the only significant one was Hightower). Their defense was the reason for the Dolphins, Raiders and Ravens wins. 

The excuses will never stop flowing for him, just give up. You can have a mound of statistical and factual evidence and there will always be a reason Cam doesn’t have the perfect situation or team to accomplish what he needs to. Always.

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

My opinion:  You need a qb who can sustain drives, protect the ball, and keep the other team's offense off the field while wearing out the defense.  Big plays every third or fourth drive will make you a star on ESPN, but three and outs are devastating to the defense.  Most games are won through ball control and clock management, considering most NFL games are decided by 1 score.  While a 30-yard pass looks good on TV, dinking and dunking is what wins games.  Body blows over haymakers, in other words.  A good QB keeps his defense fresh through the fourth quarter and has his team in position to win. If your QB is throwing deep or having to run the ball 10 times a game, it is probably not a recipe for long-term, consistent success.  It is fool's gold.

Yep that's definitely the most important thing, though ideally if you have a "franchise QB" he can sustain drives and protect the ball AND ALSO mix in some of those big plays. Don't expect QBs to be like Mahomes with those highlights every other drive and consistent sustained drives in between too, but you'd definitely like at least a few big plays throughout a game.

2 hours ago, SmittysLawnGuy said:

Just got this from NFLN. Tom Brady is 0-19 with 3 picks in passes over 20yds. Does this mean we can win with Teddy with a few more pieces or does it mean the Bucs have 0 shot at the Bowl. It does make me wonder if I'm being to hard on Teddy.

Teams that lose in the fashion that the Bucs lost to the Saints rarely make it to the Super Bowl.

Possible, yes, but I don't see it happening.  Bucs aren't built to win 3 post-season games against good NFC teams, especially since they probably aren't winning the division and thus won't have a chance to get lined up against one of the NFC East teams.

Brady and Arians are a terrible fit together.  On top of that, they have a below average OL and a below average run game.  

42 minutes ago, t96 said:

You can look up the stats if you'd like, the pats do have an above average defense despite the opt outs (really the only significant one was Hightower). Their defense was the reason for the Dolphins, Raiders and Ravens wins. 

#16 ranked defense

Yards per offensive play allowed: 30th 

% of drives ending in an offensive score:  24th 

What helps the defense is Cam and the offense running and playing ball control.  2nd most rush attempts on offense.  Only 2 defenses in the NFL have played less downs than NE.  Ball control O helps them not giving up more total yards and points.  Because when they are on the field they aren't very good.   Not above average.  Coaching probably elevates them to average. Which is why they couldn't even handle 57 year old Joe Flacco and the Jets.  

It's so easy.  Why do we make this so hard here?

If you have an "all time" defense and a decent O Line, you can get by with a game manager at QB in a Super Bowl.

If any of those are not true, you need a franchise/elite QB to have a realistic opportunity to win it all.

49 minutes ago, onmyown said:

The excuses will never stop flowing for him, just give up. You can have a mound of statistical and factual evidence and there will always be a reason Cam doesn’t have the perfect situation or team to accomplish what he needs to. Always.

Patriots coaching staff disagrees with you. 

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Some of that is that dipshit Arians dumb fug offense, some of that is that Tom Brady is 78 years old.

it really is terrible when you think about it. probably the best receiving corps of all time plus the GOAT tight end and the entire offense is predicated around hoping Brady makes a perfect throw and the receiver winning their matchup. no scheming around spacing or movement before the snap to get someone open

We should be clear that Teddy completes passes around 20 yards with relative ease. Its 25+ where he seems to generally have issues.  Our offense just doesn't call a bunch of deep passes either.  And for whatever reason Teddy is allergic to DJ's side of the field.

It is very possible to have an incredibly good offense with few passes over 25 yards.  But, that limits the strength of our receiving group.  And we lack a good TE that could really feast at intermediate yardage... We really do need to find ways to stretch the field... So its a mixed bag with Teddy, and why at times PJ looked so fun.

But yes. With the right pieces, Teddy could look better than he does. But thats true of any QB.

10 hours ago, KillaCamNewton said:

it really is terrible when you think about it. probably the best receiving corps of all time plus the GOAT tight end and the entire offense is predicated around hoping Brady makes a perfect throw and the receiver winning their matchup. no scheming around spacing or movement before the snap to get someone open

It's telling that Ron Rivera Defenses never had an issue shutting down Arians offense... 

1 minute ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

4td passes on the season.... but but but he has so many one yard rushing TDs...  

I’ve been a Cam apologist for a long time but I try to remove the bias and look at things objectively. He can still play in this league but we made the right decision financially to move on from him. 

7 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

I’ve been a Cam apologist for a long time but I try to remove the bias and look at things objectively. He can still play in this league but we made the right decision financially to move on from him. 

I just try to be objective, It was the right call (would have been a better call if we had saved the cap for next year) He is a low level starter/backup at this point not a huge gameplan altering superstar, he wouldn't move the needle w/l wise any differently than TB.

Archived