• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is QB the right pick?

rmoneyg35

Let's say we have a choice between the 4th best QB in the draft and a franchise LT (Sewell, the best LT to come out since Joe Thomas, in my estimation).  In retrospect, how smart is it to pass on Sewell?  How many first round QBs did Thomas protect? 

Just an example, but I think you have to avoid "just grabbing a QB" and make sure that you get the guy who fits our system the best.  Based on what I know about Brady, I have to think (eliminate Lawrence and Fields) that the QB  that might attract us is either Wilson or Trask. 

Then I think, take Sewell and draft Newman in the second round, and develop him for a year behind Bridgewater.  I know that is not what you want to hear, me either, but it is a long-term approach.

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Let's say we have a choice between the 4th best QB in the draft and a franchise LT (Sewell, the best LT to come out since Joe Thomas, in my estimation).  In retrospect, how smart is it to pass on Sewell?  How many first round QBs did Thomas protect? 

Just an example, but I think you have to avoid "just grabbing a QB" and make sure that you get the guy who fits our system the best.  Based on what I know about Brady, I have to think (eliminate Lawrence and Fields) that the QB  that might attract us is either Wilson or Trask. 

Then I think, take Sewell and draft Newman in the second round, and develop him for a year behind Bridgewater.  I know that is not what you want to hear, me either, but it is a long-term approach.

How do you know Sewell will be like Joe Thomas?

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

I like Newman as a project.   I would try for him in 4th though.  2nd round is prime time for oline and secondary.  Two areas we need youth at.  

Only pick QB if “your guy” is there. Reaching for a QB because you need one typically does not work. The Panthers need a QB but it’s not like that is the only thing they need. If they are picking top 6, they need a day one starter...not a maybe/project QB. 
Trading down and getting picks would not be a terrible decision...this team has a lot of needs. 

My thoughts are continue to add players outside the QB position for one more year. Parsons is the no brainer pick at #4. 

Entering the 2022 there is a very real possibility that no team in the NFC South has a starting QB on its roster right now. The South is in position to look like the NFC East in two years. Every team in the South will be searching for a QB and having a team around that QB is important. 

Look at the Bucs, if they did not spend the last few years adding to that defense they would not be in the position they are in now. 

2 hours ago, rippadonn said:

That logic falls in line with BPA and getting the 3rd best QB if possible.

Yeah I definitely see there being a strong chance that a QB is BPA at our pick, and it just so happens to fill our biggest need at the most important position. Unless the top 4 are somehow gone no QB we would take would be a reach no matter where we pick. This was really the perfect season to "struggle" to get a top QB. Really hoping we don't blow this, though with Hurney here and all the Teddy praise internally, I still fear that we may...

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not up for Trask?

Not with a top-10 pick.  People need to quit looking just at stats.  He might turn out to be the best of the bunch, but from an evaluation standpoint he is just in a lower tier.

5 hours ago, rmoneyg35 said:

It looks that we will more than likely only be Available  to Get the 3rd best Qb even if we loose out and the teams above us win out we would get the 3-4 pick. Bengals isn’t going to draft a QB however it looks like the Jets and Jags will draft a QB.

so do we want to get the 3rd bear qb and possibly over draft or do we get the best player at another position?

a lot of time teams will over draft for a QB and end up getting a QB they could have gotten a lot later. Also is the talent drop off at QB going to be worth drafting one at our spot?

yes there have been plenty of times that a lower ranked QB ends up being the best QB of the draft. So it’s very possible the first 2 QBs are bust and we end up getting the best one.

then there is also the chance that the teams in front of us don’t draft a QB and we end up getting the top QB. I don’t think that’s likely but with all the holes the Jets and Jax are it is technically possible but highly unlikely.

so what do you think? What would you prefer?

People need to quit thinking in terms of QB rankings.  Teams don't create their draft board in that way, they work off of grades.

That allows evaluators to compare players from different years.  QB4 this year might have a higher grade than QB2 last year.  Either the player will have a grade worthy of a top10 pick or not, doesn't matter if he is the 2nd, 4th, or 6th QB.

2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

What if its a rb? You think we should draft them?

If a RB can get into the top seven picks this season, I'd be mighty surprised. Ask me again after we see CMC make it through the end of the season. (I've got faith he's going to be okay and back to form, but I also would have sworn last December that we had a few more years in Luke.)

If you think your guy is there, you take him. If your qb ranking system is led by Marty Hurney, take Sewell if he's there or trade down.

We need a lot of positions, more than we get with 7 picks, if we could pick up some 2nds and 3rds or a combination of the 2, it's worth considering. I wouldn't mind moving down to 20ish and grabbing Pitts and Humphrey if they were available.

28 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Not with a top-10 pick.  People need to quit looking just at stats.  He might turn out to be the best of the bunch, but from an evaluation standpoint he is just in a lower tier.

People need to quit thinking in terms of QB rankings.  Teams don't create their draft board in that way, they work off of grades.

That allows evaluators to compare players from different years.  QB4 this year might have a higher grade than QB2 last year.  Either the player will have a grade worthy of a top10 pick or not, doesn't matter if he is the 2nd, 4th, or 6th QB.

This.  You also have to consider that just because a guy is the 3rd or 4th off the board doesn't mean that he was the 3rd or 4th ranked guy by the team who drafted him. He could've very well been that teams 1st or 2nd best guy.

Getting the #1 guy in some draft classes still means your guy sucks. Just look at 2007.  

You take a QB when the opportunity presents itself, period. There's no guarantee in the future that you'll be in a better position to find your guy. If you need a franchise QB and you think there's a franchise QB on the board, you draft him. If you don't, you're fuging up.

34 minutes ago, t96 said:

Yeah I definitely see there being a strong chance that a QB is BPA at our pick, and it just so happens to fill our biggest need at the most important position. Unless the top 4 are somehow gone no QB we would take would be a reach no matter where we pick. This was really the perfect season to "struggle" to get a top QB. Really hoping we don't blow this, though with Hurney here and all the Teddy praise internally, I still fear that we may...

This draft Rhule must get his QB. His success depends on it

1 minute ago, rippadonn said:

This draft Rhule must get his QB. His success depends on it

I think Rhule realizes that Teddy ain't it. I think he's probably realized that for awhile, he's just now getting the point of frustration that he's having some slips of the tongue and having Teddy throw his staff under the bus on that missed throw to DJ Moore may have had a lot to do with it.

Archived