• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does anyone disagree with this statement?

t96

4 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

He said in his post game presser his future was "uncertain." Who knows what that means right after losing the championship game. 

@imminent rogaine this and the fact that the Packers traded up for Love last year. If they feel he's close to being ready and Rodgers is still upset about that and able to get them a bunch of assets I could see them moving on this soon. Unlikely for sure, but it really is just a matter of time with him. He's obviously not as realistic as the others.

• Beer 1

21 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Yes.

I've said all along if we can get any of the top 4 QBS in the draft without giving up more draft capital I would be happy.

And if we can't get any of those top 4 QBs in the draft do you think this offseason can be a big success? My ideal situation is Fields/Wilson/Lance at #8 but if we can't do that, I do think we need to be at least in on those conversations for Watson/Stafford.

1 minute ago, t96 said:

And if we can't get any of those top 4 QBs in the draft do you think this offseason can be a big success? My ideal situation is Fields/Wilson/Lance at #8 but if we can't do that, I do think we need to be at least in on those conversations for Watson/Stafford.

I think the cost for Watson is going to be substantially higher than a lot around here are going to want to pay.

I'm of the "have to have a QB camp" but there does come a point you could give up too much.  Trading for Watson guarantees we get a good QB.  If we trade too much it doesn't guarantee that we will have a good team though.

Stafford feels like a better Teddy.  Doesn't really feel like we fixed our problem long term.

Best guess right now, we end up trading up to make sure we get QB 3 or 4 in the draft.  We might end up trading multiple 1st to get to that 3-5 range, let alone to the Jets pick.

If that doesn't work we trade back a little bit and take Jones, or go BPA and look at Newman/Trask in the second or punt to next year.

I agree. But off-season champion doesn’t mean much.

Also for those who have been paying attention to the pst few weeks of games (and last 20 of NFL football), you’d realize these teams are night and day compared to the Panthers.

Not looking at their QB, their entire team. That’s what success takes and this is what it looks like. A good QB won’t make this team an instant competitor. Stats say it. Ranks say it. History says it. And your own eyeballs can see it.

It’s going to take time to build a team on this level that isn’t a one hit wonder. Wish people would understand that. Just enjoy the build and look forward to 2023.

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, Burnout189 said:

What if you had a choice if those options? Which would you pick?

Depending on the price it'd be hard to not get extremely excited about Watson, but I wouldn't want to give up too much and not be able to build a contender around him while adding that contract. I definitely suspect other teams will outbid us for him but there are a lot of factors that could potentially align result in him being a Panther.

Realistically, I think the best option is to take the best QB out of Fields/Wilson/Lance that is available in the 4-8 range. Hopefully one falls to us and we don't have to trade up but if we do have to trade up a few spots to guarantee we get one, then fine by me.

7 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I think the cost for Watson is going to be substantially higher than a lot around here are going to want to pay.

I'm of the "have to have a QB camp" but there does come a point you could give up too much.  Trading for Watson guarantees we get a good QB.  If we trade too much it doesn't guarantee that we will have a good team though.

Stafford feels like a better Teddy.  Doesn't really feel like we fixed our problem long term.

Best guess right now, we end up trading up to make sure we get QB 3 or 4 in the draft.  We might end up trading multiple 1st to get to that 3-5 range, let alone to the Jets pick.

If that doesn't work we trade back a little bit and take Jones, or go BPA and look at Newman/Trask in the second or punt to next year.

I agree on Watson... I don't think the price will be as high as you've suggested in other threads here but I do think it'll wind up being more than I would want to pay -- though the team still may be willing to give up a ton for him...

I'm mixed on Stafford. I think he's been dragged down in that sh*thole Detroit franchise and is definitely a legit franchise QB. But like you I do have concerns about how much longer he'll play at a high level and especially with the smaller injuries he's had piling up. I don't think he's even close to comparable to Teddy, and he would be a huge upgrade here for however long he'd last here. But I would prefer we get a QB on a rookie deal and develop him into being a franchise guy to build around long term.

The Panthers MUST find their franchise caliber QB this offseason. Because of the way things are playing out, the Panthers will probably need to move up from the #8 pick if that franchise QB is to be found in the draft (that WFT win is the reverse gift that keeps on taking). I foresee other teams also trying to move up because the need at the QB position is so great. Competition means the cost of moving up is likely to be higher than normal.

I do not believe a franchise QB is going to be able to be found outside the top 6-10 picks. I do not view Jones or Trask as franchise QBs.  

The other option appears to be trading for Watson or Stafford. I still believe that Watson will end up staying in Houston. It is clear that Stafford WILL be traded. It is also clear to me that if traded, Stafford will want a new contract. The cost to attain Watson is likely to be unprecedented.

The other option, which is virtually guaranteed to lock the Panthers into the hell of mediocrity is going after players like Trubisky.

I still think trading up is the most likely scenario followed closely by standing pat because it takes at least two teams to accommodate a trade. I fear standing pat turns into a nightmare forcing the Panthers to reach for a QB with little chance of becoming a "franchise" QB or the Panthers setting the team back for years by NOT finding s franchise QB this year.

Signing Stafford is next most likely.

I still think signing Watson is a huge longshot.

• Beer 1

As some have said yes QB is a priority if the opportunity presents itself.  Whether by trading up for the target or by trading for a disgruntled veteran.  But also I don't agree with the original post that the off season is a bust without a QB this year.  Give me a free agency with Moton resigned, a under the radar tight end like mo-allie cox, a potential shut down corner like shaquill Griffin and stealing away john Johnson III for safety and I'm happy.  Pair that with draft that fills holes at middle linebacker, lt, and DT I'm good.  Patience is a virtue.  I have faith in our coaching and f.o. We are also gonna have a really good cap situation in 2022 so... Three year plan.  I give coaches a three year window before I get too critical 

• Pie 1