• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CBS Sports 5 teams most likely to trade for Matt Stafford. Guess who isn't listed?

Zod

There are a lot of pundits out there that see us sitting still on QB with Teddy Bridgewater. They look at the 69% passing success rate and just move on. Part of that is we just don't draw a lot of interest or attention without a big celebrity player on the field. Really, to appreciate how our team has/is changing you have to really get in there are dissect all the moving parts: really dig into the work of our O and D lines, see the back ups, evaluate the rookies and FAs we rotate in on D to test out, look at how some underappreciated players grew and how some known players diminished. It's just a lot of work. 

Why bother wedging into us into a story when the editor says "Get me a 900-word piece on the top 5 Stafford landing sites by 8 am"? Hit the high notes that require little nuance and use a few big market teams. 

If we grab an experienced QB this off season, it will be someone of Teddy Bridgewater's notoriety simply because that's the pond that makes the most sense (longterm) for us to fish in right now. And, there's a chance that we may swing into the season with Teddy as our starting QB while we work on other issues. A case could be made that with a better line, CMC back in the line up and a stiffer defense (let's make that other team punt once in a while guys), that Teddy might be solid enough to be a winner. (Me, I'm not really strong on this, but it's there in front of us as a possibility).

16 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

We won’t get any of those guys. Better hope we get Lance or we stuck with Teddy just to win another 5 games

TB could get us to 7 or 8 wins next year. Improving, young defense, return of CMC, Rhule more experienced and (hopefully) a more normal off-season. We could be picking in the teens where it would be even more costly to move up.

1 minute ago, TSLA said:

Not a rebuild when you sign a backup QB for $60 million and then beat a bad Washington team to drop you from pick 3-4 to 8. If we had Kyle Allen at QB last season and have the 4th pick right now then I would agree with you. 

It’s a rebuild when you only have one guy under contract that plays on the oline.  I don’t count Daley or little

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, it's not that I don't think that Stafford wouldn't be a huge upgrade for us. He would. It's just that I think another team that is in a more "win now" mentality will (and should) value him more than we will.

I think it's more that we're irrelevant when it comes to the national media. 

13 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

There are a lot of pundits out there that see us sitting still on QB with Teddy Bridgewater. They look at the 69% passing success rate and just move on. Part of that is we just don't draw a lot of interest or attention without a big celebrity player on the field. Really, to appreciate how our team has/is changing you have to really get in there are dissect all the moving parts: really dig into the work of our O and D lines, see the back ups, evaluate the rookies and FAs we rotate in on D to test out, look at how some underappreciated players grew and how some known players diminished. It's just a lot of work. 

Why bother wedging into us into a story when the editor says "Get me a 900-word piece on the top 5 Stafford landing sites by 8 am"? Hit the high notes that require little nuance and use a few big market teams. 

If we grab an experienced QB this off season, it will be someone of Teddy Bridgewater's notoriety simply because that's the pond that makes the most sense (longterm) for us to fish in right now. And, there's a chance that we may swing into the season with Teddy as our starting QB while we work on other issues. A case could be made that with a better line, CMC back in the line up and a stiffer defense (let's make that other team punt once in a while guys), that Teddy might be solid enough to be a winner. (Me, I'm not really strong on this, but it's there in front of us as a possibility).

Not disagreeing that many do this but I'll say that completion % is one of the most useless stats out there. What matters is what a QB does with his completions.

• Pie 1

Stafford is a nice consolation prize, but a consolation to losing out on Deshaun or a top QB in the draft.  If Stafford is the first domino to fall, can't imagine we're the winners of that sweepstakes.  Nor should we be. Swing for the fence with Watson, and then plan on drafting a QB and trotting Teddy's ass out for a few games if necessary.  Trade him at the deadline, let the rookie takeover, we have hope again. 

55 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

A year from now might be a different story, but at this point why would Stafford choose the Panthers over more playoff ready teams like SF, Miami, Wash, Indy or Pitts? 

I don't know either but he is from Georgia and weather could play into it or the coach. He might not want to stay up in the cold which could limit it to SF/Miami...who knows if he is a west coast type of guy. Lots of stuff goes into it but Miamia has the #3 overall pick and is a worse team than us so I don't see how you're saying they are more playoff ready than we are.