• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Updated QB odds and Outlooks

ncfan

9 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

I am liking Lance more and more. Will be very happy if we get him.

I'm used to the criticism/skepticism.  I was scoffed at last year when I wanted to take some small FCS school safety out of Southern Illinois in the 2nd round.  Boy was I wrong!

Lance is the real deal.  There is a lot to like about him.  Just YouTube his 2019 highlights.  I've embedded it enough around here already. 😀

Edited by 45catfan

6 minutes ago, Pazhoosier89 said:

Lance is Russell Wilson with size. Fitt should love him. He is my favorite QB after Lawrence.

Yep, Russell wouldn't have lasted that long in his draft class if he were 6'3".  Some people put up mental blockers: QBs have to be tall, QBs can't come from FCS schools and so forth.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Dane Brugler thinks Matt Rhule will find Mac Jones intriguing because of his intangibles. And it's worth remembering that Rhule attempted to recruit Jones to Baylor.

On the flipside, when he was asked what he looked for in a quarterback, new GM Scott Fitterer listed arm strength as one of his top characteristics.

Could be some discussion there...

And what intangibles are those exactly?

2 hours ago, ladypanther said:

I am liking Lance more and more. Will be very happy if we get him.

Youre more than welcome to join the gang. I hope hope hope hope teams 1-7 overlook him or focus on his faults. Its honestly a great fit if Lance lands here, Teddy would be a good teacher/teammate. Plus it wouldnt hurt at all to sit a few games while hes learn the pro life, lance can be a better Cam. But I believe he will drop a nuke whatever his pro-day is, thus hes going top 4. If people can dream about Watson, I can about Lance. 

• Beer 1

31 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

And what intangibles are those exactly?

Brugler's exact quote...

A lot of NFL teams consider this a four-quarterback draft with Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields and Trey Lance. But over the last four months, Alabama’s Mac Jones has made a strong argument why he should also be included in the first-round discussion. And Matt Rhule and the Panthers will have the unique opportunity to learn more about him this week. How does he respond to coaching? What is his football acumen? Is he a natural leader? In an unprecedented pre-draft process with no combine or facility visits, no other organization will have the hands-on knowledge with Jones that Carolina will gain this week, which is a tremendous advantage. Jones is very average from a physical standpoint, but his intelligence and intangibles are outstanding, which will certainly appeal to Rhule.

Jones is the key prospect to watch this week for Carolina...

The term generally means things like leadership, competitiveness, football knowledge, etc (all things Brugler alludes to here).

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Dane Brugler thinks Matt Rhule will find Mac Jones intriguing because of his intangibles. And it's worth remembering that Rhule attempted to recruit Jones to Baylor.

On the flipside, when he was asked what he looked for in a quarterback, new GM Scott Fitterer listed arm strength as one of his top characteristics.

If you're talking Arm strength, Wilson has a cannon. Dude flicks it 50+ yards effortlessly. 

Just now, Ivan The Awesome said:

If you're talking Arm strength, Wilson has a cannon. Dude flicks it 50+ yards effortlessly. 

Valid. Though to be clear, Brugler was talking strictly about players who are at the Senior Bowl.

I'd be pretty happy with Wilson, but few if any believe he'll drop to us unless we trade up.

3 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Agree with a lot of what you are saying here.  The 'chicken little's' here thinking: Trevor#1-Jags, Wilson#2-Jets, Lance#3-Lions (via trade) and Fields#4-Falcons is simply nonsense.  Like we are just going to flapp'n in the wind at #8 with our pants around our ankles.  I can promise people, it will not go down like that.

I dont necessarily think it will go 4 QBs with the first 4 picks. It could easily when teams start trading looking for a QB. I do think those 4 will be gone by 7. So many teams have QB needs and next years class looks weak overall. So if teams want one, and theres a lot of teams that need one, there will be some movement early and often to get one. 

23 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Let's keep a few things in mind when looking at who we might pick and who those in front of us might pick.

• Who is in front of us may well change by the time that pick comes around. 
  • While we generally talk about the "big four" QBs, it is very likely teams don't like all four of them.  For whatever reason, maybe they don't like Wilson, Fields, or Lance.  

This kind of reminds me of the 2018 draft when the so-called experts only talked about the big four in Mayfield, Donald, Allen, and Rosen...

And then the Ravens got Jackson at #31 and is arguably the best of the bunch. 

On 1/25/2021 at 2:01 PM, Mr. Scot said:

Exactly my thinking, believe Mac Jones might be the pick