• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hypothetically We Land Watson

How do we assemble an offensive line to keep him vertical? Our mediocre line from last season has one returning starter from last season..... Paradis let that sink in. 

To land Watson (who comes with a whopper cap hit) 

Realistically your looking at 

2021 #8

2022 1st

2023 First 

and or Brian Burns/Jeremy Chinn.

That will mean even more holes on defense and very limited resources to fill them... 

I would do it IF we can solve the oline problem....To win even 5-8 games we will need to win shootouts.....

Any ideas? Possibilities? Risk/Reward assesments? 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 6

Love how the same posters show up in every Watson thread and complain how it's another Watson thread.  If you don't like it move on, how does it really affect your every day life that someone posted a Watson thread? Fact is, there is a possibility of getting Watson, which is the biggest news for the Panthers atm.  Whether you want or think it will happen is irrelevant, the question was a hypothetical question so it doesn't need comments about how it's not going to happen.

To answer the question, Watsons Cap hit isn't that large this year or next.  We basically have 2 years to get a more favorable contract. This combined with letting go of certain players, gives us the salary cap needed to fix the O line by signing Moton, finding a gem or 2 in free agency, and through the draft.  

Like others have said, I doubt we trade Burns or Chinn. But, hypothetically if we did, it would be easier to live without Chinn.

• Pie 1

Exactly why I don’t want this guy. This team isn’t a qb away. We saw how the team failed to support cam and how frustrating that was, so now the plan is to get back in that situation, with a much worse D to boot? Draft Wilson/ lance/ fields and hope they pan out. If the do, we are very, very well positioned to compete in 2022. If we land Watson and forfeit the picks and $ it takes to land him, we will have to get insanely lucky in the later rounds of the draft. If your plan is for fitterrer to find his next Sherman in the 5th I’d argue that’s unlikely. Oh, also, what’s stopping Watson from disliking tepper and demanding a trade from us? 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Panthers8969 said:

Exactly why I don’t want this guy. This team isn’t a qb away. We saw how the team failed to support cam and how frustrating that was, so now the plan is to get back in that situation, with a much worse D to boot? Draft Wilson/ lance/ fields and hope they pan out. If the do, we are very, very well positioned to compete in 2022. If we land Watson and forfeit the picks and $ it takes to land him, we will have to get insanely lucky in the later rounds of the draft. If your plan is for fitterrer to find his next Sherman in the 5th I’d argue that’s unlikely. Oh, also, what’s stopping Watson from disliking tepper and demanding a trade from us? 

We are a qb and an MLB away.

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

How do we assemble an offensive line to keep him vertical? Our mediocre line from last season has one returning starter from last season..... Paradis let that sink in. 

To land Watson (who comes with a whopper cap hit) 

Realistically your looking at 

2021 #8

2022 1st

2023 First 

and or Brian Burns/Jeremy Chinn.

That will mean even more holes on defense and very limited resources to fill them... 

I would do it IF we can solve the oline problem....To win even 5-8 games we will need to win shootouts.....

Any ideas? Possibilities? Risk/Reward assesments? 

The price isn’t going to be three firsts AND a young, cheap superstar. 

The deal I could see happening is: 

McCaffery, TB, #8, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd. 

If that is the deal it honestly isn’t that bad. You trade CMC which hurts but his cap is significant for his position. 

That nets the Texans a transitional QB, an MVP candidate and multiple 1st round picks. 

It nets us...a top 5 QB and probably MORE cap flexibility than what we would have if we kept those two guys. 

• Pie 3