• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The new sheriff(s) in town

Mr. Scot

16 minutes ago, chknwing said:

Heres my thing, the new GM hasnt had time to evaluate his staff or players yet but went balls to the wall for Stafford?  Was this a Tepper call?

Honestly, I still think Hurney was largely bidding against himself for Teddy last year. Teddy is who he is. He didn't disappoint last year if you'd watched him play previously. He was exactly what we should've been expecting. Fitts probably didn't need to do a lot of extra work on Teddy and if your coach is flat out telling you he's done with a guy then there's really no work to be done anyway.

• Beer 3

Really, really excited about the new way of approaching talent, especially the way players are viewed 18 - 50. That was the window we typically saw Hurney chase a player that he had fallen in love with, meanwhile Fitterer says, "All of these dudes are basically the same" and opts to move back.

At the same time, if there's a proven player that can help the team, they're going after them.

We're going from chasing that 1 superstar to almost get them to the postseason to acquiring as much talent (or proven talent) as possible to consistently get to the postseason. Let's fn gooo!!

Edited by Icege
  • Beer 1

I give Bridgewater a lot of crap... but I really don't mind going into the season with him as QB IF our attempts to snatch someone we like fail.

I am still 100% adamant that we don't reach on a quarterback in the first round unless we think he's a franchise guy.  And when I say that, I'm mainly referring to the likes of Trey Lance and Mac Jones (EVEN more so with Mac Jones, who I wouldn't take in even round 2).  I'm okay with riding with Teddy one more season if it means not wasting a pick on them.  Wouldn't be mad at Lance but I think he's a guy that benefits far more from being a QB than he does actually being a good QB.

And the reason why I'm comfortable with riding for Bridgewater one more year is that this aggressiveness right now tells me Bridgewater has one more year left with us AT THE MOST.  Unless he manages to pull the ultimate fools gold performance and has a great All-Pro caliber year.  And let's be honest... if there is one thing we know about Bridgewater, it is that when things matter the most and he has to get it done or otherwise ultimately fail... he WILL fail.  

If we miss out on moving up or trading for a QB this year, then that just means this is another offseason for us to pile up on young talent and Rhule to coach the hell out of this team.  And next offseason, when we can outright cut Teddy?  Yeah, we gonna go get our guy.

I've never been more optimistic for the Panthers franchise.  I love the GM hire. I love what Matt Rhule has done this year.

• Pie 2

I know Rhule pointed out how he wanted someone who was able to trade up and down. It seems he called out Herniay, cause reports are Rhule wanted to add draft picks. Herniay of course did the opposite and lost a trade pick. Also Herniay didnt care about comp- picks, another way proven method used by Seahawks, Ravens, and Pats. 

Herniay waaaaay over ran his time , fuging twice! Just like Rhule, Im not going to judge Fitterer his first year. Hes not Herniay, thats enough currently. 

9 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

We now know that the Panthers aggressively went after Matt Stafford, and just about landed him. By all accounts, if not for the Rams upping their offer, Stafford might be on his way to being a Panther right now.

That tells me that when Scott Fitterer talked about this team being aggressive as far as talent acquisition in the future, he wasn't kidding.

Quick Note: That doesn't mean we're getting Desean Watson and that's not what this is about.

What it is about is that offseasons are probably gonna look a lot different than they used to. How people feel about that is likely to depend a lot on whether the players they're aggressively pursuing are players you like or not. Responses to the news about Stafford have already shown that.

So I'm kind of wondering what people's way too early feelings are about where we're headed at this point, specifically how they feel about the directions Fitterer and Rhule are likely to take us in.

Does Fitterer report to Rhule?