• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Free Agent Signings Thread

Ricky Spanish

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've heard a couple of people suggest that, and I just can't get on board.

It would be a very Panther thing to choose a draft where the offensive line class is expected to be good and deep to be the one where we trade away all our picks.

I really want to keep our 2nd pick. I think we can get a starting LT with it. If we move up or trade for Watson it might be as good as gone... 

Main thing I would say is that these moves basically reek of our free agency from last year. High end backup/cheap starter level deals on players a bit below that grade. Recall Schofield, Burris, Whitehead, Weatherly. It's super early of course but between that and restructuring a bunch of contracts, if you didn't know Hurney got fired, could you even tell? I'm all for finding bargains in free agency but we're basically paying these guys to show us more than they have so far and to come across as a successful offseason, several of them will have to. I hope they do.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 1

Why is this franchise in love with injury prone bad to mediocre free agent Oline? Part of the reason why we've had so much turnover at oline for so long . These could be Hurney signings and I wouldn't know the difference . 

At least they're somewhat young and didn't break the bank. That's   about all I can say.  

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

I'm that dude that waits for things to go on sale and not jump on them as soon as they hit the shelf.  Call it the cheapskate in me.  No doubt we need OL depth and with our history of OL injuries we surely need positional flexibility.  However, these guys (or guys like them) would be available days from now and probably at a discounted rate from what we intend to give them.

Maybe, maybe not.  The demand is high but supplies are limited.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Current head of pro personnel is still Matt Allen (i.e. Jerry Richardson's grandson).

Luke Kuechly did join the pro personnel department this year.

So if this is the guy who is lame duck until they fire him, then who is the genius that doesn't understand cheap and upside, not overly expensive and hurt while only grasping the concept of 'positional flexibility'?

Terrible signings for the cost. Vet minimum at best players quality.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

So if this is the guy who is lame duck until they fire him, then who is the genius that doesn't understand cheap and upside, not overly expensive and hurt while only grasping the concept of 'positional flexibility'?

Terrible signings for the cost. Vet minimum at best players quality.

I don't know that these are terrible signings, and I feel like it's going to be a while before we can say anything definitive on it.

My concern is that we're still pursuing players who have dealt with recent injuries.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't know that these are terrible signings, and I feel like it's going to be a while before we can say anything definitive on it.

My concern is that we're still pursuing players who have dealt with recent injuries.

One of my nagging concerns is our new GM comes from a team that has also struggled with constructing a decent Oline to protect their QB.

Time will tell.  Until then, I'll remain skeptical.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's a big part of what makes it terrible. Can't rely on the unreliable.

If we were trying for random backups with legitimate starters, ok. Weird but ok. We have 2 starters and Scott for 4 to 6 games. We could have targeted better players for this role.

9 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Why is this franchise in love with injury prone bad to mediocre free agent Oline? Part of the reason why we've had so much turnover at oline for so long . These could be Hurney signings and I wouldn't know the difference . 

At least they're somewhat young and didn't break the bank. That's   about all I can say.  

It wouldn’t be so bad if they were just giving them a chance at depth...but they also seem to start and continually rotate because big men simply don’t heal.