• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Darnold is a flop like Teddy was, is Rhule officially on the hot seat?

If Darnold is a flop, is Rhule on the hot seat?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Yes
    • No, means nothing

Also QB isn't the only way to evaluate Rhule. Imo he did extremely well to consistently put Carolina in position to win or tie in all games besides two last season despite Teddy's play  is probably a good sign . 

Darnold don't have to light the world on fire. If he has a ryan Tannehill esque glow up and CMC stays healthy and defense gets patched up a bit in the draft , that's got playoffs written all over it. 

58 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

If Rhules on the hot seat it won’t be just because of Darnold. That said I would not be surprised if he’s on the seat next year. 

legit impossible for him to be on the hot seat next year. 

First two years = search for a QB

Third year - develop QB

Fourth year - Need to see improvement (winning record)

Firth year - Need to make the playoffs

2 hours ago, Trainwreck said:

Definitely. Spending $60 mil for one bad quarterback and then the very next year spending a future 2nd rounder for another bad quarterback should get you fired immediately. 

It’s 40 million.

And TB ranked where he is paid in 2020, respectively. 

In 2021 he more than likely wouldn’t have or will not likely rank where he was paid.

So you’re essentially complaining about 1 year overpaid bad contract.

If Donald doesn’t work out, yea it’s shitty to waste a second rounder.

But I can see how not acknowledging the details makes an agenda sound more melodramatic. 

Ultimtley though, he hasn’t made a devastating move yet, which is good. But he/they will need to make a progressive move and the inability to do that would for me be the ‘hot seat’.

Teams go years without franchise QBs. There are so many examples I don’t even know where to begin. It’s going to take time. As others have posted I think a competitive team and playoffs need to be a given in 2023.

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Not necessarily on the hot seat but probably down to his last swing at the QB position.

Basically this. The owner is clearly invested in Rhule but I do think his seat atop the personnel decisions chair may start getting pretty warm if this was another Rhule decision that backfires. 

This is inferring a lot of things that we don't actually know but I don't think he comes out of a "Sam Darnold disaster starter" scenario unscathed, that is for sure. 

6 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

Also QB isn't the only way to evaluate Rhule. Imo he did extremely well to consistently put Carolina in position to win or tie in all games besides two last season despite Teddy's play  is probably a good sign . 

Darnold don't have to light the world on fire. If he has a ryan Tannehill esque glow up and CMC stays healthy and defense gets patched up a bit in the draft , that's got playoffs written all over it. 

Rhule is a good coach but in the nfl if you don’t find a franchise qb you’re gonna be on the hot seat quick. That’s just the way it is with this league. Very difficult to find sustained success without the qb position locked up. And since rhule has a lot of say in the draft then yeah it’s deserved. 

I might get panned for this but Darnold has almost Mahomes level arm talent and like Mahomes at Texas tech has really suspect mechanics, bailed the pocket often and played backyard football. Mahomes was coached out of that and Darnold wasn’t. Now you can blame gase for this, lack of talent (nobody should mix up chiefs offensive talent to the Jets) but Darnold has not stopped making boneheaded decisions with sloppy mechanics. It’s very hard for me to believe this can get coached out of him at this point. You can’t tell me that the Jets coaching staff wasn’t working with him on some of this at the bare minimum. Bad habits are hard to break and you see players revert back to those bad habits in pressure situations.

there are only a handful of qbs in the nfl that can make this type of throw. So the talent is definitely there. But it’s year 4 now and he is still raw as hell. My guess is that this coaching staff needs to take all pressure off of sam and simplify things for him getting the ball to the playmakers quick and really hit home that he can force feed cmc whenever he feels pressure. When the Jets had to have Sam play hero ball, he failed spectacularly. He makes extremely stupid decisions.

Edited by TheRumGone

7 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

2023 with no franchise qb and he’s on the hot seat for me.

Might as well put him in the hot seat now.

It takes most teams years or decades to find a franchise QB after losing one.

Realistically, Rhule will spent his entire tenure here without a top tier QB.

That’s not a shot at Rhule, that’s just how it is. Great QBs are extremely hard to get.

I can easily see Belichick spending the rest of his nfl career in QB purgatory too.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

Might as well put him in the hot seat now.

It takes most teams years or decades to find a franchise QB after losing one.

Realistically, Rhule will spent his entire tenure here without a top tier QB.

That’s not a shot at Rhule, that’s just how it is. Great QBs are extremely hard to get.

I can easily see Belichick spending the rest of his nfl career in QB purgatory too.

Yes I’ve said as much in other posts.