• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are some examples of QBs who were once considered huge busts, but revived their career on another team?

15 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Reasons he might turn it around:

• He's still super duper young (23 almost 24). Younger than Tannehill was when he was drafted.
  • Gase didn't start screwing up Tannehill until year 4 of his career. Gase got to Darnold year 2.
  • Year 1 in NJ he had a lame duck HC.
  • Darnold didn't have a QB coach with the Jets
  • The Jets, as an organization, are bottom 3 all time in the NFL.
  • Lack of supporting cast around him in NJ
  • Hard working kid that WANTS to improve
  • Has shown he can diagnose defenses pre snap and make adjustments
  • Solid improvisational skills
  • Our Coaching staff is far better than he's ever had in NJ

Reasons he might continue to suck:

• Gase might have ruined him
  • Lacks basic fundamentals at the position
  • Mechanics still need work
  • Bad habits might be ingrained at this point
  • Could have been David Carr'd by the horrible line he had the past 3 years.
  • Accuracy issues

Whole bunch of hypotheticals on both sides of the argument. Lord knows what will happen. I'm rooting for the kid though. I'd love for him to turn his career around here in Carolina and want him to succeed. 

Yeah and even if I think it’s highly more skewered to him not succeeding doesn’t mean I don’t want him to succeed. If he somehow became a franchise qb we are in such great shape without giving up multiple firsts/players for that position. I’ll be rooting for him hard. Everything that has come out from the Jets is that he was loved there and works very hard. 

• Pie 1

I'm all for optimism but it's not exactly very encouraging if you have to go back to the disco era or even further to find examples to validate the narrative.

You know something else that typically doesn't work?

Drafting pass rushers from Florida State.

Throw in the fact that just as many first round quarterbacks bust as succeed.

The biggest mistake is in thinking there's only one way to do things.

• Pie 1
5 minutes ago, frankw said:

I'm all for optimism but it's not exactly very encouraging if you have to go back to the disco era or even further to find examples to validate the narrative.

I think the narrative that you have to draft a QB in the 1st round to win a Super bowl is causing some people to lose perspective. 

I'd love to see a thread to see a thread "How many QB's drafted in the 1st round have turned out to be busts? Or, how about this one "How many 1st round QB's never won a Super Bowl". We'd be here all day, possibly weekend, putting that list together.

3 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I think the narrative that you have to draft a QB in the 1st round to win a Super bowl is causing some people to lose perspective. 

I'd love to see a thread to see a thread "How many QB's drafted in the 1st round have turned out to be busts? Or, how about this one "How many 1st round QB's never won a Super Bowl". We'd be here all day, possibly weekend, putting that list together.

It would be a much shorter list than if you did one with 2nd-7th round qbs.

9 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

It would be a much shorter list than if you did one with 2nd-7th round qbs.

No doubt.

Fortunately the teams that drafted them didn't have as much invested in them so when they failed it didn't set them back as much in terms of money and the overall success of the franchise.

Just now, SCO96 said:

No doubt.

Fortunately the teams that drafted them didn't have as much invested in them so when they failed it didn't set them back as much in terms of money and the overall success of the franchise.

That's good because their odds of succeeding were much worse.

Billy Kilmer.  SF to Redskins.  He really wasn’t a bust in SF, actually played as much half back as QB in their ‘wildcat’ offense but he didn’t really elevate his game until after he was traded to Washington.  He blossomed under HC George Allen.  

Sometimes a change of venue and coaching DOES make a difference.

• Pie 1
8 hours ago, OldhamA said:

It pains me when people talk bad about Herndon (who'd walk into our TE room and be the man tomorrow) and Berrios (who'd happily fit into our WR corps as a slot guy). 

Herndon can barely stay on the field

Jake Delhomme isn't the best comparison either, he wasn't a top 5 pick who started for 3 seasons before switching teams...

There are just aren't really many examples of these types of players even switching teams and then getting an opportunity to start this early in their career like this. The other notable one is of course Rosen who completely flopped for Miami but there just isn't a large sample size of comparable situations to go off and try to guess what'll happen here -- one way or another.