Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

What are some examples of QBs who were once considered huge busts, but revived their career on another team?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

This place loves to hang onto outliers to justify moves. The odds are heavily stacked against Darnold and if you mention this they attack you for being a pessimist when it’s just living in reality. 
 

if people would cut off emotions and try to look at moves from an outside perspective rather then as a hardcore fan of this team they’d be better off instead of setting themselves up for immense disappointment. That’s not to say Darnold without a doubt can’t be good for this team. He could, but history shows the odds are insanely stacked against him.

I dunno how anyone can feel optimistic about this franchise right now. We suck. Last winning season coming in 2017. I think rhule is a good coach but they need to figure out this qb situation quickly because before they know it it’ll be half a decade without a franchise qb and their asses will be on the hot seat.

This might be the best post ever written here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reasons he might turn it around:

  • He's still super duper young (23 almost 24). Younger than Tannehill was when he was drafted.
  • Gase didn't start screwing up Tannehill until year 4 of his career. Gase got to Darnold year 2.
  • Year 1 in NJ he had a lame duck HC.
  • Darnold didn't have a QB coach with the Jets
  • The Jets, as an organization, are bottom 3 all time in the NFL.
  • Lack of supporting cast around him in NJ
  • Hard working kid that WANTS to improve
  • Has shown he can diagnose defenses pre snap and make adjustments
  • Solid improvisational skills
  • Our Coaching staff is far better than he's ever had in NJ

Reasons he might continue to suck:

  • Gase might have ruined him
  • Lacks basic fundamentals at the position
  • Mechanics still need work
  • Bad habits might be ingrained at this point
  • Could have been David Carr'd by the horrible line he had the past 3 years.
  • Accuracy issues

Whole bunch of hypotheticals on both sides of the argument. Lord knows what will happen. I'm rooting for the kid though. I'd love for him to turn his career around here in Carolina and want him to succeed. 

  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Brett Favre, Steve Young, Alex Smith, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon and Jim Plunkett among others.

And Drew Brees wasn't anything special in San Diego. That's why they drafted Philip Rivers.

This is true for his early career in San Diego, but he started 2 full season after drafting Rivers and was a top 5 QB in those years. Not exactly the same as a QB changing teams and then having success like we're hoping happens with Darnold. Brees had tremendous success for 2 seasons in San Diego before going to NO, they let him walk because of the shoulder injury concern not because he struggled like Darnold has.

  • Pie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

You know your making his point for him. Your naming guys who played when the majority of today’s players weren’t even alive.

 

Most of the guys you named wouldn’t fit OP criteria. Unitas was like 9th round pick or something like that, Warner wasn’t even drafted. Your just naming names at this point.

I'm not just naming names. I answered his challenge posed in the post.

The original post was What are some examples of QBs who were once considered huge busts, but revived their career on another team?.

I named 9 guys who won SB's after being discarded by their original teams, Five of whom (Unitas, Dawson, Young, Favre, and Warner) are in the Hall of Fame. Plunkett won't make the Hall, but he was 2-0 in Super Bowl games. Drew Brees is a lock to make the HoF  and is in fact the 10th guy to win a SB with his 2nd team. I don't see how I overlooked him in the first place.

Ron Jarworski and Rich Gannon took their teams to SB births during their MVP seasons.

Sonny Jurgenson was the all-time passer when he retired.

A question was posed on the board and I named at least 15 guys who would qualify.

I wouldn't have made the Darnold deal, but I am hoping to see if he can have a rebound in Carolina... and it's not like this deal with set us back for years if he bombs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Reasons he might turn it around:

  • He's still super duper young (23 almost 24). Younger than Tannehill was when he was drafted.
  • Gase didn't start screwing up Tannehill until year 4 of his career. Gase got to Darnold year 2.
  • Year 1 in NJ he had a lame duck HC.
  • Darnold didn't have a QB coach with the Jets
  • The Jets, as an organization, are bottom 3 all time in the NFL.
  • Lack of supporting cast around him in NJ
  • Hard working kid that WANTS to improve
  • Has shown he can diagnose defenses pre snap and make adjustments
  • Solid improvisational skills
  • Our Coaching staff is far better than he's ever had in NJ

Reasons he might continue to suck:

  • Gase might have ruined him
  • Lacks basic fundamentals at the position
  • Mechanics still need work
  • Bad habits might be ingrained at this point
  • Could have been David Carr'd by the horrible line he had the past 3 years.
  • Accuracy issues

Whole bunch of hypotheticals on both sides of the argument. Lord knows what will happen. I'm rooting for the kid though. I'd love for him to turn his career around here in Carolina and want him to succeed. 

Yeah and even if I think it’s highly more skewered to him not succeeding doesn’t mean I don’t want him to succeed. If he somehow became a franchise qb we are in such great shape without giving up multiple firsts/players for that position. I’ll be rooting for him hard. Everything that has come out from the Jets is that he was loved there and works very hard. 

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all for optimism but it's not exactly very encouraging if you have to go back to the disco era or even further to find examples to validate the narrative.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You know something else that typically doesn't work?

Drafting pass rushers from Florida State.

Throw in the fact that just as many first round quarterbacks bust as succeed.

The biggest mistake is in thinking there's only one way to do things.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, frankw said:

I'm all for optimism but it's not exactly very encouraging if you have to go back to the disco era or even further to find examples to validate the narrative.

I think the narrative that you have to draft a QB in the 1st round to win a Super bowl is causing some people to lose perspective. 

I'd love to see a thread to see a thread "How many QB's drafted in the 1st round have turned out to be busts? Or, how about this one "How many 1st round QB's never won a Super Bowl". We'd be here all day, possibly weekend, putting that list together.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I think the narrative that you have to draft a QB in the 1st round to win a Super bowl is causing some people to lose perspective. 

I'd love to see a thread to see a thread "How many QB's drafted in the 1st round have turned out to be busts? Or, how about this one "How many 1st round QB's never won a Super Bowl". We'd be here all day, possibly weekend, putting that list together.

 

 

 

It would be a much shorter list than if you did one with 2nd-7th round qbs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

It would be a much shorter list than if you did one with 2nd-7th round qbs.

No doubt.

Fortunately the teams that drafted them didn't have as much invested in them so when they failed it didn't set them back as much in terms of money and the overall success of the franchise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SCO96 said:

No doubt.

Fortunately the teams that drafted them didn't have as much invested in them so when they failed it didn't set them back as much in terms of money and the overall success of the franchise.

That's good because their odds of succeeding were much worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...