• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person: Panthers are working hard to lay foundation for a trade back

TheSpecialJuan

24 minutes ago, Growl said:

Panthers give Patriots 8 overall 

in return they get #15, a 2, and a 4

The post draft presser centers around “obtaining a franchise QB” for “really no cost at all” and “the analytical data really supports”

Fields wins OROY 

Why do this to yourself?

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Bill Belichick's draft evaluations are not exactly something to brag about.

It's almost universally acknowledged that their free agent blitz this year has a lot to do with the fact that their past five drafts have been sh-t.

okay so we’re on record for who you’d rather have making decisions for your ball club, it’s nice to get a straight answer

14 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Lotta red flags on Fields.  You folks would give all you have for an unknown with good athleticism than for a known player who was in a terrible situation.

I get it, but I think the thing to do is build around Darnold to see what he has.  Is Fields a generational talent?  They said that about Vince Young and Michael Vick.  They said it about Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf. 

They said it about Cam, and then they did not protect him or give him weaponry. 

I like Fields--I really do--but let's keep it between the lanes.

I’m not saying trade up for him, but if he falls to 8 and we like him then take him. Darnold isn’t a known player IMO. If he is known, he is known to throw INTs and not being very good. Our hope should be he is an unknown at this point who can still be very good and only looked back because of his situation.

The “red flags” are what? Processing speed? He literally had the best rating throwing the his 2nd and beyond read of the top QBs in his class.

I think he is falling because of the Indiana and Northwestern game (both of which he won). There was a lot going against OSU in those games. Missing best WR, missing coaching staff, missing offensive weapons and constantly having games cancelled or delayed due to COVID. Check out his previous year tape and he checks all the boxes. Plus he looked great against Clemson this year when he was dialed in. If our staff could unlock that one a regular basis...

7 minutes ago, Verge said:

CB Horn and Slater at 12, no Parsons. 
15's targets are correct, we are high on Farley. 

With this team.  I’m not touching Farley in the 1st rd.  Way to big a risk.  Major medical history, already rumored to need an additional surgery and possible nerve damage.  I’ve known guys with the same back issue and it really jacked them up.  Not even a chance could I see them running around and playing football after that.

a win now team that already has a foundation and pushing in the playoffs, sure.

a team rebuilding with a ton of holes.  Way to big a Risk.  A risk that if Sam Darnold doesn’t pan out either, could be a nail in Rhule’s coffin early here

Just now, CRA said:

Farley 

2017 - acl

2019 - back spasms

2020 - sat out 

missed pro day - back surgery

missing draft - covid 

It’s like the warning signs slapping you in the face with Farley.   He is a great talent but the draft is risky enough with a 100% healthy stud. 

Yeah I want no part of Farley. His body is a ticking time bomb

3 minutes ago, Growl said:

okay so we’re on record for who you’d rather have making decisions for your ball club, it’s nice to get a straight answer

Draft decisions? I sure as hell wouldn't pick Belichick. His drafting record is horrible.

As far as the guys currently making our draft decisions, Fitterer is an unknown.

Edited by Mr. Scot

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Bill Belichick's draft evaluations are not exactly something to brag about.

It's almost universally acknowledged that their free agent blitz this year has a lot to do with the fact that their past five drafts have been sh-t.

Especially considering their killer QB evaluation was a "fug, that guy's still available in the 6th round? Yeah, go'on then let's throw a dart at the board and see if he sticks".

I will say, Darrisaw is much closer to Slater and Sewell than the likes of Eichenberg, Cosmi, and Jenkins. Would love him. 

Also would not mind taking someone like Walker Little in the 2nd one bit.

I mean, we could be targeting 2 people in the end of the 1st/2nd round but wanting to stay in the top-16 in a trade down.

But we need to draw a hard line.  If we're giving NE a QB, they need to give us their 2nd and 2022 1st.  This is not some slight trade up for a skill player they'll want, it's a QB. 

Lot's of possibilities:

1-Surtain II CB/Christian Darrisaw LT

2-1-Richie Grant S/CB

2-2-Walker Little T/G, Leatherwood T/G, plenty of WRs, more CBs

Or maybe we do like Mond or Mills 😕 hehe

5 minutes ago, davos said:

I will say, Darrisaw is much closer to Slater and Sewell than the likes of Eichenberg, Cosmi, and Jenkins. Would love him. 

Also would not mind taking someone like Walker Little in the 2nd one bit.

I mean, we could be targeting 2 people in the end of the 1st/2nd round but wanting to stay in the top-16 in a trade down.

But we need to draw a hard line.  If we're giving NE a QB, they need to give us their 2nd and 2022 1st.  This is not some slight trade up for a skill player they'll want, it's a QB. 

Lot's of possibilities:

1-Surtain II CB/Christian Darrisaw LT

2-1-Richie Grant S/CB

2-2-Walker Little T/G, Leatherwood T/G, plenty of WRs, more CBs

Or maybe we do like Mond or Mills 😕 hehe

Man I'd love to be in an NFL War Room - a) cos that'd be a fun career and b) cos it'd be great to see all the opinions flying around.

I'm such a 'floor' guy that players like Walter Little just aren't on my board until laaaaate. Farley has a bunch of injury concerns so I wouldn't be high on him either.

Someone like Darrisaw I'd have had to speak to everyone who's ever coached him and probably had a psychologist have a chat with him too. Dude does 'just enough' on every play. I'd want to find out what that is about 'cos he has the physical / technical skills to play LT in the NFL at a high level. He's the Ying to Teven Jenkins' Yang. 

To me the late rounds are where you take the fliers on potential. Early rounds I want the most productive, technically sound players that tick the boxes athletically for their position. 

Edited by OldhamA
  • Pie 2

23 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Lotta red flags on Fields.  You folks would give all you have for an unknown with good athleticism than for a known player who was in a terrible situation.

I get it, but I think the thing to do is build around Darnold to see what he has.  Is Fields a generational talent?  They said that about Vince Young and Michael Vick.  They said it about Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf. 

Sam Darnold a recent draft bust is worth building around but Justin Fields can only be compared to Vince Young Michael Vick and Jamarcus Russell? I don't know what the future holds for either of these kids but this will be an interesting take to revisit in January.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1