• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 1 - Carolina Panthers Select CB Jaycee Horn

Zod

10 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Wait, he was not a shut down corner in college.  At all.  This is a upside pick.  Period.  This guy made some plays but if you think this guy is a poo down corner you don't know him.

He will be ok...just ok..,hate this pick

He shut down every WR he faced in the loaded SEC. Only one had over 50 yards. Heisman trophy winner Smith and he got 60. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/south-carolina/Article/Jaycee-Horn-2021-NFL-Draft-corner-prospect-South-Carolina-Gamecocks-football--164412473/Amp/

If shutting down WRs doesn’t make you a shut down CB, then what does??

• Pie 1

Unlike all you haters, I see this as well thought out.

It's likely that Sewell was our pick until he got snapped up.  But after that, we could've taken Fields, or Jones, or some one of a dozen choices as a LT. 

But the issues with Fields and Jones don't translate to either being better than Darnold, who has NFL experience they don't have (and who should improve dramatically here, what with better coaching, a RB in CMC, and targets to hit -- none of which he had in NY.)  It should have been obvious to all that Darnold was gonna be our QB, and why waste another #1 choice in a ? rookie?

Horn, on the other hand, is the best of the CB crop, and this (lest we forget) was a BIG reason we couldn't get off the field on so many 3rd downs.  No way to quantify it, but I'd estimate at least 4 of our losses were due to that.  Think back on all those 3&15 passes that got caught, that kept opponents' drives alive.

Maybe Horn doesn't gamble in coverage in order to pad his INT #s, but those gambles so often lead to TDs, too.  It's Passes Defended that result in punts coming our way, and extra possessions.

Our Defense now looks to be a solid, young, and deep, unit, that will reduce scores against us dramatically  -- and last I checked, that's as big a factor in wins as points we score.

So yeah, y'all might say, he can't pass block, so how's he help us there?

Our next picks will settle that problem.  There are way more talented OLmen still around than there are starting CBs.

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

He shut down every WR he faced in the loaded SEC. Only one had over 50 yards. Heisman trophy winner Smith and he got 60. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/south-carolina/Article/Jaycee-Horn-2021-NFL-Draft-corner-prospect-South-Carolina-Gamecocks-football--164412473/Amp/

If shutting down WRs doesn’t make you a shut down CB, then what does??

LOL...he shut down certain WRs?  Team game.  Reach pick IMO.

57 minutes ago, McLovin said:

They spent the whole offseason bitching about getting a QB, then trade for Darnold (not a bad ideal), only to have Fields fall to them, not take him, not invest in protecting him and select yet another defensive player.

You haven't been paying attention?

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, bigthama said:

Have to think Sewell would have been the pick and the extended time meant no good trade down offers came. If you aren't really convinced by Fields or Slater (and there's reason not to be) then a sure-thing CB isn't the worst option.

We needed one! I like it.

1 minute ago, Shocker said:

LOL...he shut down certain WRs?  Team game.  Reach pick IMO.

Certain WRs as in the only ones he faced? You really have no clue... He played 30 games and only ONE WR has over 50 yards. It was the best WR in college and he had 60 yards. You may be upset with the pick, but stats don’t lie.

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

He’s much more than a great athlete. The jump from 2019 to 2020 was significant. I expect him to keep going with plus nfl coaching. Mentally he is a Ramsey clone. We need someone with his traits and mentality in the NFCS. I’d rather we took fields but I’m not gonna act like this dude sucks. A top ten pick? I think people will look back and say that was a fair place. We’ll see. 

Again the biggest thing for me is what happens with fields. If he becomes a franchise qb then this was the wrong choice, not the wrong choice because Jaycee sucks. He doesn’t.

our staff seems to be high on these RAS scores. Chinn was a 10.00, Jaycee a 9.99. Look what they did with Chinn.

He wasn’t great  in 2019.  So we can agree there? 

so that brings us to 2020.   Gamecocks allowed 40 points per game.   40.  A lot of his individual numbers were simply aided by the Gamecocks being so bad....teams just didn’t bother with him.  Not out of fear as much as the Gamecocks couldn’t stop anything.   So why even bother with the best of a horrible bunch.   And he still showed a lot of same inconsistencies in 2020 when he did show up. 

Ramsey isn’t the niche DB Horn is.  Horn is great at that niche.  I give him that.   And he has great physical skill set.   I give him that too.   I also like how he goes up to contest balls.  I give him that.  

But he wasn’t a great DB IMO.  In zone? Off man?   He wasn’t great.   We play far more zone than man.  Which is why I don’t like the pick at 8.   Given the options.