• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grading how the draft was run

Mr. Scot

Just now, Fox007 said:

IF you don't like the Horn pick for some reason that makes sense to me. I like the Horn pick so that one just solidified it.

Well, I’m almost done with that.  I don’t dislike Horn.  I disliked him at 8.  Some can’t accept that as position to have.   

• Beer 2

Think back a couple of years ago- we traded a 2nd and 3rd for a 2nd that sits on the bench.

This year?

UPDATE: Carolina traded with Chicago, Cleveland, Philadelphia and Houston on Friday in the Draft's second day.

Those trades turned two Day 2 picks into three and netted five total picks for Saturday and a fourth-round pick in 2022.

Now, Carolina will have a fourth-round pick (109), fifth-round pick (158) and three in the sixth round (193, 204, 222).

• Pie 1

C- Based on the needs and them being filled i'm pretty disappointed. Traded out of spots with starting caliber players in positions of needs and then took a #3-4 wr and an H back that will play 5-10 snaps a game year 1? if that

Edited by RJK

SO fuging GOOD

Walked in with two picks. Walked out with three players, an extra 5th, and a 2022 4th from Houston.

The 3 players? A beast of a WR, an LT/LG, and a TE/FB.

Rhule is also saying that there are multiple players that the team has 2nd/3rd round grades on that are available still. I'm hoping to see that 5th and a 6th or two used to move up and grab at least two of them.

Ok first of all don't throw poop at me. Stop reading here if you don't like negative comments.

The Horn was a mistake imo. There was much better talent on the board, and Horn is not going to be press man shut down CB. There is a reason why Horn grabs tall fast WRs when he has to cover them in man. Because they'd roast him if he didn't hold on for dear life. Horn is a zone CB imo and taking him at #8 was astonishing.

Terrace Marshall Jr. is our best pick so far. He has the size, speed, and catch radius to do very well in our offense. Add to it that he is a sneaky and crafty player when it comes to route running. He knows how to fool DBs with little details in his route running, so you know he's smart as well as gifted. He has studied the game carefully.

So that's my take on the first two picks. No need to talk about a blocking TE. Kind of boring.

Edited by pantherj

Something Rhule said during the press conf today was that he wants supreme athletes who can put it on tape. Fitt also said their criteria for trading down was if the value didn't match the player that was at the top of their board at the time (or something to that extent). They weren't afraid to miss out on a player if they felt the value of trading down got them a net positive. 

That said, if you look at our draft history for the past 20 years.. It's pretty obvious which drafts got people fired. 

https://www.panthers.com/history/draft

There's a few drafts in there that look straight embarrassing in retrospect. From 2011, only Cam made it past year 2. 2011 draft screwed us hard in 2014 where normally a lot of those players would be on a contract year. We stumbled but luckily other teams in our division stumbled worse. We lucked out. What this says is if you're picking players that are not even good for depth, then you're not going to run a successful team in the long term. A once in a generation player can pull your team higher but not as high if the base talent level of the team isn't that great. 

Rhule wants guys who already have powerful self-motivation and drive to be better and great. All these guys have something to prove and have a chip on their shoulder and want to beast on people. These aren't quiet guys who fade away like many of those draft picks of the past that disappear after 3 years. (We Hope) 

All in all, so far I think we're getting players to set the tone for the team. We may not be addressing needs aggressively or protecting the Darnold at all costs.. but we're getting guys who will buy in because they want to succeed too. Whether or not that actually works out is yet to be seen. We won't know until their Rookie contracts are up or they get cut in year 2. 😬

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2