• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Brag and Something to Remember

Agreed, although I’d argue the degree of work ethic varies greatly at the college and professional level. Some folks just have God given abilities and are able to get away with a less than stellar work ethic while others have to rely on their work ethic that much harder to get to the level they do. All NFL players undoubtedly have some degree of both these characteristics but the latter is something that is in many instances obvious when a player “overachieves” and when they “underachieve.”

• Beer 2

8 hours ago, Trainwreck said:

Training for a game isn’t working hard. I played sports all my life growing up. I never considered it as “working”. If was a hobby and was all for fun. Kids play this game of football because it’s fun. They get into these big name schools while other kids are being rejected. They spent majority of their college time playing football, not in the classroom. They turn pro, and get paid hundred of thousands to multi-millions. The other kids that actually attend their classes in college? They graduate, have a difficult time finding a job that will pay them good and are in huge debt from school loan. 

So now you are razzing high school football?

sometimes you should just shut up

• Poo 1

17 hours ago, Trainwreck said:

Training for a game isn’t working hard. I played sports all my life growing up. I never considered it as “working”. If was a hobby and was all for fun. Kids play this game of football because it’s fun. They get into these big name schools while other kids are being rejected. They spent majority of their college time playing football, not in the classroom. They turn pro, and get paid hundred of thousands to multi-millions. The other kids that actually attend their classes in college? They graduate, have a difficult time finding a job that will pay them good and are in huge debt from school loan. 

Nobody said life was fair for everyone at all. Fact of the matter is that athletics and entertainment drive the world in many aspects hence you have athletes and entertainers at the very top of their chosen craft compensated dollars the likes of which the average person will never be able to comprehend beyond if they won the lottery. It is just reality. Fact is though athletesat the very top may be way overcompensated for what they do but the amount of work out in is immense. Who are you to judge what "real" work is and is not? If you sir had it in you to train 8 hours a day in the scorching heat and in some gyn pumping iron till your muscles ached then study film and analyze film and study okay books on top of being a genetic freak who was born to be a little bigger, carry around a little more muscle mass, be a little faster and body to be able to hold up to the rigors a little better than your average every day office working number crunching khaki pants wearing person then you would do that same job too and be overcompensated. Make no mistake, just because you did not win the genetic lottery does not mean this chosen path athletes at the very top are on does not mean they didn't bust their asses, don't work hard and dont sacrifice all sorts of things in their life you as being an average everyday normal person may have not had to do. There is a tradeoff here. These guys at the very top may be compensated well but their lives mat be much shorter, their bodies left in complete carnage after they retire and issues/problems with every day things you will take for granted. Even the most successful ones who worked their butts off for their sport at the end many will suffer greatly so in hindsight I would not be so fast to write off the accomplishmrnats of others that you no nothing at all about or could never comprehend as it sounds like you had to take the path of the 99% of the population. Nothing wrong with that but no reason to knock on the 1% programmed different whom you would never have the physical tools to understand or the mindset to understand what they chased in their lives just as they would never understand what you chased in your life. They didn't poo on you so why poo on them? Dear God you are one negative person unfortunately and I get the sense that you wanted so much more out of your own life but for whatever reason didn't get to where you wanted to be. If true that is sad and I wish you the best either way.

• Poo 1

I played sports (Baseball, B-Ball) in jr high and high school and it was just fun for me. I put in a lot of work because I was small, slow, and not very athletic overall, but I like being part of a team and I had to work hard to make the team. I enjoyed it and did it for free of course (its school). I had no chance to play in college no matter how hard I worked. 

I'm honestly torn about this because I know some Players are just so talented, and even though they put in work learning the game and staying in shape (To me that was just fun!). I don't want to say these guys don't work very hard, but to make the money some of these guys pull in --man I just don't know if I can honestly call it justified. 

I know they often choose their profession over families and put in a lot of time but I think Mahomes money (even though he is Great) is a little too much unless the guys also working to cure cancer or something. 

*Congrats to LG2S and their boy- That is awesome

Edited by Michael G
  • Flames 1

20 hours ago, Little Goody Two Shoes said:

Agree to disagree. Look up the definition of work and hardworking and training for football definitely fits. Just because you enjoy something doesn't mean it's not difficult and training for your profession (whether you actually make it or not) can definitely be considered work. It's not called playing out it's called working out.

And in my son's case he has a 4.4 GPA so he's been 'working' in class also.

Speaking as someone who's chucked his lunch midfield during a two-a-day, hell yes it's work if you're actually giving it your best.

Congrats to your boy.