• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What we need to see from Sammy D in OTAs

35 minutes ago, BrianS said:

How did they exceed expectations?  They regressed!  In 2019 we ranked 19th in total yards, and 20th in total points.  In 2020, we ranked 22nd in total yards and 24th in total points!  To me, we *massively* underachieved on offense.  Remember, 2019 was Kyle Allen at QB.

Because it was a total rebuild.  Everyone thought we would be getting the #1 pick in 2021 so you can't possibly compare 2020 to 2019.

Edited by NAS

20 hours ago, OldhamA said:

I love that people think that now he's out of the 'pressure cooker' of the NY market he'll have more space to breathe.

Half the fan base is ready to jump down his throat the first time he throws an INT because he's not the particular brand of 2021 rookie that they tied their colours to. 

He knows this is his make or break year if he wants to be a starting NFL QB.

Especially passing on Fields and Matt Jones.

3 hours ago, SmittysLawnGuy said:

Ever heard of a salary cap? Also a lot of us pay good coin towards the product that they waltz out there. So in essence, damn right it's our money.

When you willingly purchase something it's no longer your money.  Buying a car doesn't give you say in the company. Too funny.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

Been thinking a lot about this, but the one thing I want to see is him stepping into the leadership role here. He needs to make this his team...his offense, and the rest of the team needs to start looking at him as a leader right away.

You mean a Cam style leader, very vocal and "Alpha?" 

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Vocal isn't necessary based on history of successful QBs. The good ones generally haven't been terribly so. Most are more concerned with preparation than appearing to be alpha.

The overly alpha thing hasn't actually worked took well.

Edited by Moo Daeng

Just now, Moo Daeng said:

Vocal isn't necessary based on history of successful QBs. The good ones generally haven't been.

I would certainly disagree with that. Brady and Manning are two examples of very vocal on field leaders. 

But not all elite or good QB's are vocal leaders, that I would agree with. Some are "lead by example" types. That was where I departed from some of the criticisms thrown at Fields as a prospect. The fact he was quiet or reserved in interviews didn't make me think he couldn't be a leader at QB.

17 hours ago, Trainwreck said:

We’ll be like the Browns when they passed on Mahomes and Watson. 

Yeah, Myles Garrett was a beast, but I bet they would do it differently if they could re-pick. At least they didn't screw up as bad as the bears with Trubinsky.  Just please try to refrain from likening us to the frikken Browns in the future.

14 hours ago, stbugs said:

Whatever dude, feel free to read better next time. First of all, we still spent 3 picks on him. If we didn’t we would have had an extra 6th and 4th (2022). Also, we never regained the 2nd rounder next year so yes, we have lost something. Second, where did I complain about what we gave up? I mean if you are going to get all high and mighty you might want to again actually read well. I was just pointing out that you can’t just say Horn + Darnold = Fields without including the 3 picks that we gave up. Add the 3 picks and it’s a very valid comparison. I don’t care that we passed on Fields or traded for Darnold, I just wanted a Not Teddy with potential since we have weapons.

Please try to understand a post before you reply with another witty response that falls flat.

Not to even mention the potential 100M or more in salary that Darnold will make the next 5 years as opposed to a real rookie QB like Fields. Which makes exercising that 5th year option having no upside and all risk. Any comparison has to assume they play at a similar level. The initial trade was a little much but not too bad. But guaranteeing another 19M for no reason is. It’s Darnold/Horn - Fields/ Moton/Moore new deals. I’m having a hard time using basic math to make on any of that logical  financial sense. Maybe you will have better luck

33 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

When you willingly purchase something it's no longer your money.  Buying a car doesn't give you say in the company. Too funny.

Not really the point. My money helps pay his salary though. So the statement that "You're not paying his salary" would be incorrect. Of course I don't have a say where the money goes but I sure as hell can bitch about how they spend it. I'll let my my boy big Tepp decide if they allocated my money correctly.

Edited by SmittysLawnGuy
  • Beer 1

31 minutes ago, NAS said:

Because it was a total rebuild.  Everyone thought we would be getting the #1 pick in 2021 so you can't possibly compare 2020 to 2019.

But not because of our offense!  We were looking like a top pick because our defense in 2019 was historically bad and old!  We lost our best DB to free agency and our HoF MLB retired. 

We were a middle of the pack offense in 2019.  Everyone thought that with the pieces we had, with Joe Brady at the controls and TB5 upgrading what we saw from Kyle Allen we'd be a better offense.  We were slightly worse.  All because TB5 was anti-clutch.

Again, what specific things on our offense grade out as below average?  The only one I can come up with is the TE room, and that may be underselling them a little.  Our skill positions are among the best in the league QB aside.  Our line is average to possibly above average.

Everything about our offense SCREAMS "Give us a franchise QB and we will light this league up!"

38 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

No...and he doesn't have to be to be good and effective. There's quite a few different types of effective leader.  Cam's, to a degree, was unique to him. Same with Jake. I think both were great. Sammy will find his own voice...or maybe he has found it.

If I had to guess, I would see Sam as being more closely resembling Rhule. The kind @MHS831 calls the Shepherd dog kind of leader.

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

No...and he doesn't have to be to be good and effective. There's quite a few different types of effective leader.  Cam's, to a degree, was unique to him. Same with Jake. I think both were great. I see Sam as being more closely resembling Rhule. The kind @MHS831 calls the Shepherd dog kind of leader.

Okay, wasn't sure what your bar was for that. I don't personally believe everyone has to be a Peyton Manning type to be successful in the NFL(look at Aaron Rodgers, for instance).

Apparently Rhule is VERY vocal and animated, so I am not sure I see that in Darnold. He seems to be a "by example type."

Edited by kungfoodude

There are also QBs who appear reserved, cautious in front of the media, and entirely different in the locker room, a player his teammates respect. QBs have different styles, but achieve the same leadership qualities that make a group of players a team.

I’ve never heard, or read, Sam complaining, or even caring what the media writes about him, it was always about his team.

If you don’t think playing in the L.A. fishbowl, with ESPN headquarters down the street from SC, and personalities like Colin Cowherd, etc. showing up for practices hasn’t prepared him for not being intimidated by the big stage...don’t know what to tell you.  He also played for a University that is the only CFB blue blood on the West coast.  They’ve been groom from the moment they step on campus, on how to deal with the media.

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Okay, wasn't sure what your bar was for that. I don't personally believe everyone has to be a Peyton Manning type to be successful in the NFL(look at Aaron Rodgers, for instance).

Apparently Rhule is VERY vocal and animated, so I am not sure I see that in Darnold. He seems to be a "by example type."

Yeah I think you are right. I think Sam is really charismatic and very positive, which will be a big bonus for him, but I also see him as expecting a lot from himself and working to getting the best out of himself as well as everyone around him.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1