Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to participate in Panthers minicamp on a tryout basis


 Share

Recommended Posts

A continuing story line through the offseason has been who will replace Tre Boston at FS. In various threads of the huddle and many media articles mentioning this Jeremy Chinn has seemed to be the answer that keeps popping up. Burris/Franklin were thought of of as more SS than FS but with the system we ran we didn't really use the traditionally deep FS very much anyway. 

With the expectation to play more press man to man coverage (Horn, Bouye, Taylor additions) it is possible we see that traditional FS role more often- so for months people have been asking who might do that (we didn't draft a S) and the answer up until now has been Jeremey Chinn. Dix maybe a decent alternative unless Bouye transitions or one of the younger guys step up. 

The question about Chinn at FS arise from folks who see his skills as better suited for SS, and they may be, but with our current roster he's probably the best option at FS as well as Nickel, SS, and maybe LB. The guy is a stud.

Edited by Michael G
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Our safeties are interchangeable, so sure, call it safety.  Agreed, Ha-Ha would be purely a depth signing unless he can beat out Burris.  However, since he got cut so early into the Cowboys camp last year, it seems his better days (at least as a realistic starting option) are over. 

Depends on if the guy that beat him out is better than Burris...Safety, and specifically FS has been a huge issue for our defense, I mean as sketch as Charles Godfrey was, that was about the last time. Also is the 2015 season from Coleman. 

We also had the guy we lost to PIT Mike Mitchell in the 2013 season I think it was, and he didn't even move to FS until injury if memory serves. Hopefully this with Fitterer having seen first hand what a talent like Ear Thomas / and even Mathieu in his Cardinal days can do makes this position a bit more of a focus as we move forward. 

Under Rivera is was a complete and utter focus on the front 7, IMO a good but outdated philosophy, yes it protects the secondary, BUT when you can't get there, you have limited options in coverage. Even in 2015, outside of Norman our DBs were afterthoughts, and our Safeties were both in the back 9 of their careers (Coleman / Harper)

This staff's approach seems to center on good talent at every level versus stacking it all in the front 7. More of a team approach with a few studs here and there (Burns, Brown, Chinn, and likely now Horn). Meanwhile we have good players in Perryman, Shaq, Donte', Reddick Bouye, Jones. With emerging talent the likes Yetur, Carter Jr., and potentially Pride who held up under fire. 

  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Michael G said:

A continuing story line through the offseason has been who will replace Tre Boston at FS. In various threads of the huddle and many media articles mentioning this Jeremy Chinn has seemed to be the answer that keeps popping up. Burris/Franklin were thought of of as more SS than FS but with the system we ran we didn't really use the traditionally deep FS very much anyway. 

With the expectation to play more press man to man coverage (Horn, Bouye, Taylor additions) it is possible we see that traditional FS role more often- so for montyhs people have been asking who might do that and the answer up until now has been Jeremey Chinn. Dix maybe a decent alternative unless Bouye or one of the younger guys step up. 

The question about Chinn at FS arise from folks who see his skills as better suited for SS, and they maybe, but with our current roster he's probably the best option at FS as well as Nickel, SS, and maybe LB. The guy is a stud.

How dare you pigeon hole Chinn like that!!!!!!!!!!  You cruel, evil, person!  😄

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Depends on if the guy that beat him out is better than Burris...Safety, and specifically FS has been a huge issue for our defense, I mean as sketch as Charles Godfrey was, that was about the last time. Also is the 2015 season from Coleman. 

We also had the guy we lost to PIT Mike Mitchell in the 2013 season I think it was, and he didn't even move to FS until injury if memory serves. Hopefully this with Fitterer having seen first hand what a talent like Ear Thomas / and even Mathieu in his Cardinal days can do makes this position a bit more of a focus as we move forward. 

Under Rivera is was a complete and utter focus on the front 7, IMO a good but outdated philosophy, yes it protects the secondary, BUT when you can't get there, you have limited options in coverage. Even in 2015, outside of Norman our DBs were afterthoughts, and our Safeties were both in the back 9 of their careers (Coleman / Harper)

This staff's approach seems to center on good talent at every level versus stacking it all in the front 7. More of a team approach with a few studs here and there (Burns, Brown, Chinn, and likely now Horn). Meanwhile we have good players in Perryman, Shaq, Donte', Reddick Bouye, Jones. With emerging talent the likes Yetur, Carter Jr., and potentially Pride who held up under fire. 

The red-headed stepchildren for Rivera was always OL and safety.  He would beef up talent everywhere else on the roster.  I remember Mitchell very well, his only problem was getting continuously fined for personal fouls.  Coleman benefited initially from a strong overall defense.  Once we lost some pieces, he got exposed quickly and the same can be said about Roman Harper.  Godfrey was average, at best, in my view.  Mike Minter was the best pure safety we've ever had. 

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He could very well become another piece to Snow's arsenal. He doesn't necessarily need to be a starter.  He could be a piece that we are missing where we can move Chinn anywhere we want.

It's definitely worth kicking the tires.   I'd love it just to see him ball out against Dallas.  Their fanbase would implode. 

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With Chinn, I think you can look at a guy like Sean Taylor. Is he a FS? Yes. Is he a SS? Yes. Is he a LB? Yes.

All that versatility is a great thing. I expect him to primarily align at the safety position, but the beautiful thing about a chess piece like Chinn is that tells the opposing offense virtually nothing.  He can drop back and cover the deep third. He can pick up a TE or slot WR in man coverage. He can drop down into the box to essentially serve as a LB. He can blitz. He's a guy the opposing QB has to account for on every snap.

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

As has been said in this thread and quite a bit before....don't get too hung up on FS vs SS. There's few differentiations between the two and responsibilities are pretty much the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't understand what's wrong with HaHa. I thought he was pretty good his whole career and he has started every game though he didn't play in 2020.  And he's only 28. Did he suffer an injury? or have off-field issues? I feel like I'm missing a piece of the story. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Steves89 said:

I don't understand what's wrong with HaHa. I thought he was pretty good his whole career and he has started every game though he didn't play in 2020.  And he's only 28. Did he suffer an injury? or have off-field issues? I feel like I'm missing a piece of the story. 

I won't claim to know, but I have found that in the majority of cases like this the simple answer turns out to be that the player just wasn't actually as good as we thought he was.

Edited by Mr. Scot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I won't claim to know, but I have found that in the majority of cases like this the simple answer turns out to be that the player just wasn't actually as good as we thought he was.

I've mentioned many times that scheme can make a average player good or make them look atrocious. 

He may fit our scheme better than Dallas.  If I remember correctly Dallas's defense was abysmal last year. I like that we brought him in.  Hopefully he's in shape and ready to put pads on.  I am sure he's ready to show that he isn't washed up.

Good Luck Ha Ha.  I'm pulling for you. 

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Steves89 said:

I don't understand what's wrong with HaHa. I thought he was pretty good his whole career and he has started every game though he didn't play in 2020.  And he's only 28. Did he suffer an injury? or have off-field issues? I feel like I'm missing a piece of the story. 

He was decent with the Bears a couple years back, but he couldn’t even make the Cowboys final roster last year on a truly abysmal defense.  Maybe it was a scheme problem, who knows.  He’s still pretty young so I’m glad we’re giving him a shot.  

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...